The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Chip said:
nubie said:
Will TV out cable be included? Don't know. Is there even TV out?
The Wiz does not have TV-out.

Just got some new information:
It MIGHT get TV Out.
The Pollux supports it, but GPH had some scaling problems.
So it's not included - but the lines should still be at the EXT port.
So when some devs or GPH figures out how to fix it, you can use TV Out.

Last edited:
ruckage said:
chad78 said:
Blah blah blah whine whine whine......
Here's a thought, since it's not what you want how about you stop moaning about it.

Sage point actually :)

I hate Celine Dion, but don't visit Celine Dion fan boards and post how much I hate her whiny, cat-strangling voice and hideously ugly, gaunt face (calm blue ocean.....) ;)

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and to express it. Everyone's life is too short to be expending unhappy energy when they should be out enjoying life :)

Now, back to topic - it is great GPH listened and made changes, I am very pleased, and look forward to my Wiz and Pandora living happily side by side.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
What chips are in the Wiz? Don't know.
Umm... I do. And you would too if anybody had bothered to ask. I have a list somewhere and if I come across it I'll post it here.

chad78 said:
Here's hoping you grow up sometime this century :rolleyes:
Exophase is already about 8ft tall :D.

I don't believe the double dpad design was so much an issue. However, having a 3,5mm jack rather than a 2,5mm jack is a HUGE improvement for me.

Wow. Well, I guess I have to retract my "FAIL," comment from a previous thread. Good one, GPH. Might have to pick one of these guys up now.

Pariah B)

EvilDragon said:
Chip said:
nubie said:
Will TV out cable be included? Don't know. Is there even TV out?
The Wiz does not have TV-out.

Just got some new information:
It MIGHT get TV Out.
The Pollux supports it, but GPH had some scaling problems.
So it's not included - but the lines should still be at the EXT port.
So when some devs or GPH figures out how to fix it, you can use TV Out.

Is there an encoding chip or would an inexpensive chip be placed externally? I think that is a great idea to save money, only the people who want or use the TV out will have to pay for it.

Orkie said:
nubie said:
What chips are in the Wiz? Don't know.
Umm... I do. And you would too if anybody had bothered to ask. I have a list somewhere and if I come across it I'll post it here.

K thanks Chip, sorry to everybody about being a jerk. As I said, everyone looked at the Dpads and forgot about the system specs, so I thought if there were chips then it would be posted.

It looks more and more interesting to me, especially at a total cost under $200.

Orkie said:
nubie said:
the f200 and Wiz don't have it because it uses too much space, costs too much money, and uses electricity
Did you just make that up? The Pollux has decent USB gadget support built in and my BoB for the prototype has a mini USB port which I can only assume is to do with that.

EDIT: http://x11.gp2x.de/tempfiles/gp2x-new/IMG_1126.JPG

oh thank you Orkie to clarify that, i suck at hardware stuff :)

Last question, will you need that BoB to add the gp2x in a network or debug the application using telnet or being that stuff on the pollux you can just plug the ext-usb cable and use it like in the good f-100's days?

Eclipse said:
Last question, will you need that BoB to add the gp2x in a network or debug the application using telnet or being that stuff on the pollux you can just plug the ext-usb cable and use it like in the good f-100's days?
+1

That's the only remaining question that I would like to know before jumping to the Wiz wagon.

When doing the system comparison charts, I think this should be a category:

Presence of chad78
Wiz: No :)
Pandora: Yes :(

It's almost enough to make me choose one over the other...

Seriously though, the Wiz is a completely different beastie than the Pandora. Its dual analogue sticks are brilliant, but shoving an analogue stick on the Wiz would be a superfluous design inclusion given its intended form factor and uses. The touch screen will suffice quite well.

Just think of it as another differentiating factor for the Pandora, in which the analogue controls make total sense. That's because they are complementary, not competing, systems.

I don't get this notion how everyone says they're not competing. It's like Sony and Microsoft saying the Wii isn't a competitor because it's a "different" audience. :rolleyes: What, does the open-source handheld gaming community run on some kind of alternative law of purchasing powered by magic and pixie dust? They operate under the same market conditions and target the same demographics. There will be people who choose one over the other. They are in competition.

I think it's great that there's multiple open-source devices like this out there, I really do. But to say they're not competing is just... silly. :lol:

I also appreciate GPH's decision to replace the 2nd DPad with 4 normal buttons, but I wouldn't mind, if they didn't replace the 2.5mm headphone jack.

CronoTriggerfan said:
I think it's great that there's multiple open-source devices like this out there, I really do. But to say they're not competing is just... silly. :lol:
Price and feature set are differentiating factors. You wouldn't say a Yamaha is competing with a Hummer, but they both let you drive places.

GunPei2X said:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Price and feature set are differentiating factors. You wouldn't say a Yamaha is competing with a Hummer, but they both let you drive places.

Horrid analogy. Based on your "price and feature set" argument, you'd say that, at launch, the DS and PSP weren't competing products due to the $150 price difference and feature set difference. Still sounds silly.

CronoTriggerfan said:
Horrid analogy. Based on your "price and feature set" argument, you'd say that, at launch, the DS and PSP weren't competing products. Still sounds silly.
+1 There are no two closer competitors in the world of gaming than GP2X Wiz and Pandora. Both competing for a *VERY* small niche market.

Wow, this is great news, now I'm really torn about which system to get.

One question I have though is about sleep mode and boot times. I had a GP2X a LONG time ago and I'm guessing with firmware revisions, the boot time was cut down.

The great thing about a DS and to some extent, a PSP is that it is quick to get to a menu. In the DS' case, quick to get to a game.

For those who have had the privilege to use the Wiz, how are startup times? I would hope they are a few seconds. Also, is there some sort of sleep mode like the PSP/DS? I find those features will make a break a portable system to some extent, at least for me. I like being able to play a few minutes here or there while doing things at work.

This is an exciting time again! :)

CronoTriggerfan said:
Horrid analogy. Based on your "price and feature set" argument, you'd say that, at launch, the DS and PSP weren't competing products due to the $150 price difference and feature set difference. Still sounds silly.
But where do you draw the line? Is the DS competing with iPhone? Is the PSP competing with an Archos media player?

I think it's telling that the very people creating the Pandora are also the biggest distributors of the Wiz. You wouldn't see Apple stores selling Zunes, would you?

edit: I will concede there is some element of competition - I was primarily trying to promote unity on this board instead of seeing it devolve into some C64 vs ZX / Sega vs Nintendo squabble.

chad78 said:
There are no two closer competitors in the world of gaming than GP2X Wiz and Pandora. Both competing for a *VERY* small niche market.
I find this comment very odd considering your stance of the Pandora being primarily a UMPC, and denigrating the Wiz for being so out of the ballpark in that regard.

chad78 said:
There are no two closer competitors in the world of gaming than GP2X Wiz and Pandora. Both competing for a *VERY* small niche market.
I get tremendous bang for buck out of all my handhelds so my limited budget is going to both the Wiz and the Pandora.

I'd like to see the boot times decreased as well. I love the GP32 instant on. Only bested by the Zodiac which is the fastest starter of the lot.

Eclipse said:
I'd like to know that as well...

That's great news ED and GPH!

As the Pandora has been delayed a few times I have cash for both! Yay :)

The GP2X can now be given to the girlfriend permanently (as she hogs it most of the time anyway).

Thanks.

Back