The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Still no wifi? Not that I'm going to buy the console anyway, I'm going for the Pandora.

If you ask me, I would say there's no excuse not including a wifi chip with the Wiz. Wifi adds a LOT of new possibilities, like email, web, multiplayer and so on.

NOOOOOoooooo….. I was using those two things (buttons and headphone jack) as excuses NOT to buy it and skip to the Pandora. Now that I am almost fully on the Pandora bandwagon they go and do this.

So now I *have* to get the Wiz and the Pandora to continue my collection. :p

Honestly I am glad they did this. I have three GP2Xs (MK1\MK2\F200) and the JXD 301. While the three GP2Xs have superior hardware and software I find myself using the 301 more when I am on to go.

I recently took the JXD 301 on vacation with me and the best thing was the small size and plug in charger. I didn’t plan on bring it I just put the JXD and adaptor in my hand luggage at the last minute. I couldn’t see myself packing a separate charger and spare batteries for the GP2X in the same scenario.

Sure the emulation is not polished on the JXD but NES games are still playable and I had the entire season 3 of Avatar on it.

The new Wiz is almost exactly what I want: a handheld around the size of the JXD 301 with a built in battery and the operating capabilities of the GP2X.

All hail the return of the mighty GP2X!

The utter irony of all this is that I had been waffling over whether or not to get the Wiz because of the ABXY Pad... everything else about it definitely appeals to me. Well, I decided I would pass on it, thinking that GPH would remedy the ABXY Pad issue down the road in a "MK2" model, and decided to treat myself to a F-100 Value Pack that was (surprisingly) available from ConsoleSource.com. Well, sure enough, today I was told that there was a "delay in shipment from Gamepark Holdings" and my Value Pack would not be shipped until next week -- which I know is total BS, since the Value Pack has been "out of print" since last fall: They COULDN'T be getting a shipment from GPH now. So, I cancelled my order, and I was kinda sad...

... until I read THIS news. Now, I'm absolutely thrilled, and I'll DEFINITELY be getting a Wiz!!!!

Looks like i'm buying 2 new hand-helds this year, thanks GPH!!

Seriously though, thanks GPH for listening and improving something that already looked good.

Just please dont make the buttons like the origional JXD301's, too close together and far too fragile, a real pain to use well.

I am happy they did this. I will be pre-ordering one today. Thanks for keeping us up to date on this issue.

EvilDragon said:
Some of you may know GPH and me are currently at the IFA exhibition in Berlin.
We had quite some conversations during the last days - and I'm really happy to announce the following:

The 2nd DPad of the Wiz will be replaced with 4 proper buttons! AND the 2.5mm headphone jack will be replaced with a 3.5mm one.

So the only flaws I could see with this system will be fixed!
On the downside it means that the release of the Wiz will be delayed for 30 days (so it will be shipped in November), but I think that's best.

If you like that decision, you can use this thread to thank GPH, as they will be reading it!
Thanks for listening. It builds better relationships and will ensure more sales! I'll probably be getting one eventually (next year).

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to give The Wiz a miss, but GPH have done the right thing and i'll definitley buy now.

Good work GPH and ED!!!!!

I'm so happy theyre changing that decision ! (Still puzzled as to why no one at their company said "thats rubbish") !

But so glad theyve changed their mind. Very tempted now to get one !!! !

morrissey2k7 said:
nubie said:
Well, I am at once ready to congratulate them, and at the same time wondering if this was all a ploy to distract our attention from the fact that USB still isn't shipping with the device.

Would code and hardware be so hard to ship with it? Hardware can even be a USB on the TV dongle, it would cost pennies per cable. As long as it is available at launch and the whole cable costs $15-$20.
Um, where did you get the idea that a USB cord WOULD NOT be shipping with the Wiz? In the picture on the GP32X front page where it shows the Wiz packaging, it clearly shows a USB cord included with unit, CD, headphones, manual, etc..

USB HOST!!!

I am sorry for shouting, but I really want to know what the deal is.

If support for USB isn't in the release firmware then none of the software will support it. No install base means no support.

USB Host means you can play on any USB controller you like, it means support for USB storage devices, it means that 2 joypads can be hooked up to play 2 player on the TV.

Not only that, USB wifi or LAN adapters can be used, etc etc.

Great news. This, along with the pandora, will give the community great options. This device will no doubt be actually pocketable and the aesthetics, oled screen, and improved internals make it a true gp2x successor. Good job!

Now that I take a closer look at those pictures I see a huge problem.

That connector was never purposed for connection to a device the size of the wiz, good luck there.

It appears that there is no Mini USB, and further that charging happens over the USB cable (WTF?!?).

Let me break it down for you:
  1. You can't use the wiz without that cable, at least not for long.
  2. The cable will only be as sturdy as most GPH products. (and it is the only way to charge the unit)
  3. If you are making one cable, why not put USB and TV on it as well?
  4. If you lose the cable you can't play until you buy another one to charge the battery.
  5. THIS POWER LAYOUT SUCKS.

I think that the dual DPad was just to distract your attention from this stupid, proprietary and illogical way of connecting devices.

This design is not smaller because it is better, it is smaller because the designers threw out a bunch of necessary stuff (USB host and USB mini for charging).

And what about throwing in 2 more buttons? That would be nice, but no.

Now to the thing that bothers me most, the speaker grilles look like a goat Anus, I don't know what they are thinking, but don't show this to your goat or the wiz will be full of jiz.

Wow, they CHANGED IT???!?!?!?!?!?! WTF????

THANKS!!! Now its a hella lot more appealing to buy!

Great job ED reaching out to them, and GPH for listening!

DSR

nubie said:
Now to the thing that bothers me most, the speaker grilles look like a goat Anus, I don't know what they are thinking, but don't show this to your goat or the wiz will be full of jiz.
Dude, not only are you a miserable person, but we ALL could have done without this little fantasy of yours.

it had a 2.5mm headphone jack?!?
this is way more important than the dual dpad situation... a portable console NEEDS a standard jack. 2.5mm headphones are rare... I've just spent £30 on some decent ones, very satisfied with their performance with the gp2x.

This only leaves the problem of waiting. Why oh why can't there be fast forward button somewhere, I mean two months! *Sigh* I'll have to entertain myself with the other things then, instead of carrying around an emu running, music/books/video playing wiz and all its oled beauty!

morrissey2k7 said:
nubie said:
Dude, not only are you a miserable person, but we ALL could have done without this little fantasy of yours.

OK, so nobody thought of it but me.

It is just a thought, I don't hump goats btw.

USB HOST AND A PROPER CHARGE CABLE

That horrid cable will be a failure point.

Negative score for making the device depend on a proprietary connector

nubie said:
I think that the dual DPad was just to distract your attention from this stupid, proprietary and illogical way of connecting devices.
OK, now you're just complaining for the sake of it. You've made your point and we all know you don't like the Wiz. If you don't like it then don't buy one, but repeating the same minor complaints over and over is not helping anybody.

CC_machine said:
it had a 2.5mm headphone jack?!?
this is way more important than the dual dpad situation... a portable console NEEDS a standard jack. 2.5mm headphones are rare... I've just spent £30 on some decent ones, very satisfied with their performance with the gp2x.
OK, so you are thinking, NOW WHAT ABOUT THE CHARGING AND USB JACKS??

Those aren't standard right now. Bookmark this page, I will be referring to this post and saying "I told you so" when the cables are lost and you can't play on the Wiz.

Chip said:
nubie said:
OK, now you're just complaining for the sake of it. You've made your point and we all know you don't like the Wiz. If you don't like it then don't buy one, but repeating the same minor complaints over and over is not helping anybody.

I LOVE THE WIZ!!

I want one, but I would like them to actually think about what they have done. Have you ever received a device that forced you to use a proprietary design?

Lose that cable and then tell me I complain just for the sake of it.

USB host: if it is available we need it at launch. Why?? Look at the GP2X, still no proper USB support and it has been years.

Make it in a cable or a Breakout Box or a Cradle, I don't care, just put it out at launch, that way we have support in the OS and programs.

Back