The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

nubie said:
Have you ever received a device that forced you to use a proprietary design?
Yep, both my GBA SP and NDS have proprietary power cables.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
nubie said:

But the market is huge and charge cables are everywhere, doesn't really make a fair comparison. Nintendo sold millions of those and the aftermarket ones are in the local Walmart.

Now IF they had the thinking ahead to make it compatible with a Cellphone charger that used the same plug (like an LG or Samsung), then I could see it, but I don't think it is pin-compatible.

jmetal88 said:
Jeez, nubie, you're starting to sound like DaveC. :lol:
Just now? I thought I did when the pre-order GP2X stick was crap :p.

Just don't say I never warned you.

Personally I think this will greatly increase the Pandora userbase and provide plenty of used Wiz units on ebay.

Once they lose the cable or can't hook up USB gamepads they will see the Pandora and sell their old one.

Bigger user base on Wiz and Pandora :)

So nevermind, I can see the silver lining.

Oh, come on. It'll have the same situation as with the stick caps for gp2x at worst and I wouldn't call that a crisis or anything. Just buy a few spares when you have a chance, the machine will probably have a lifetime of 3 years or so. Yeah, disposable tech is annoying, but capitalism will keep forcefeeding us with new needs and new toys.

Orkie said:
nubie said:

Also every iPod I've ever owned, and 99% of all non-WiMo cell phones. Proprietary cabling isn't great, but it's not exactly rare either. Likely there just wasn't enough room for a separate power connector so they just put everything into one multi-purpose port. It's a minor inconvenience at worst, and it certainly doesn't warrant the sort of overreaction you're displaying.

Well done GPH!!!

I was going to buy one anyway, now I wont have to mod it myself.

I'm having a Wiz on Xmas... :p

---

LOL! it wouldnt be a GP2X forum if there wasnt someone complaining.

klikklak said:
Oh, come on. It'll have the same situation as with the stick caps for gp2x at worst and I wouldn't call that a crisis or anything. Just buy a few spares when you have a chance, the machine will probably have a lifetime of 3 years or so. Yeah, disposable tech is annoying, but capitalism will keep forcefeeding us with new needs and new toys.

Not a similar situation at all, we still get people starting threads on "breaking" the stick, it was a poor stick.

The poor stick is nothing to do with the cap. The stick cannot last the life of the console, some broke in 1 month, more in 3 months. Only consoles that are played gently last longer than a year.

It is a piss poor stick design (did you ever look at the data sheet pdf for the stick? It is an off the shelf job not rated for use in a gaming machine.)
Chip said:
Orkie said:
nubie said:

Also every iPod I've ever owned, and 99% of all non-WiMo cell phones. Proprietary cabling isn't great, but it's not exactly rare either. Likely there just wasn't enough room for a separate power connector so they just put everything into one multi-purpose port. It's a minor inconvenience at worst, and it certainly doesn't warrant the sort of overreaction you're displaying.

Again, an iPod and a DS are mainstream devices with tonnes of aftermarket support. It does not amount to a minor annoyance when you have to order from another country just to play your device. Assuming that the cords will even be available.

As I mentioned above, I am going to leave it alone now because it will work out for the best. I can get them on ebay at a price I am willing to pay (~$100-$130) because of these design flaws. It will increase the base of people moving to the Pandora when they understand how much more capable and well designed it is.

A win-win for everyone concerned. A negative turned into a Positive through the power of the mind :)

:) group hug everyone :)

coldfis said:
LOL! it wouldnt be a GP2X forum if there wasnt someone complaining.
Right, I bring up genuine concerns and everybody treats me like I am retarded and foolish.

Wouldn't be the GP2X forums if that wasn't happening ;)

B) chill guys.

I wasn't referring to the stick design, just to the stick caps, which are proprietary and can only be obtained from shops that stock gp2x. This isn't a major problem, like the cable will not be. I lost my cap and bought two spares. People will just do this with the cable.

Also, since GPH is reading this, we should keep it on topic and civil, I don't see any reason for pandora ftw outbursts. Then again, the mods decide.

klikklak said:
I wasn't referring to the stick design, just to the stick caps, which are proprietary and can only be obtained from shops that stock gp2x. This isn't a major problem, like the cable will not be. I lost my cap and bought two spares. People will just do this with the cable.

Also, since GPH is reading this, we should keep it on topic and civil, I don't see any reason for pandora ftw outbursts. Then again, the mods decide.
Um, a stick cap does not affect your ability to use the device (except in the case of the GP2X, where it was much easier to use without a cap.)

The missing power cable completely stops the device dead. No workarounds, no watching movies, nothing. Not at all the same as the cap.

A round thing with one hole in it is hardly proprietary. A delicate plug with a bunch of tiny pins is rather proprietary.

Case in point: I made about 3 alternate caps with simple hand tools available anywhere. But to make my USB host I had to scour the web for a connector that disappeared quickly as soon as the community was aware of where to find them.

Your point doesn't apply at all.

klikklak said:

WIZ FTW!! And Used WIZ FTW!! and Pandora FTW

We can all live together peacefully, you missed my point completely.

A wise decision to change the buttons, although Craigix promised to change the one he would sell for no extra charge. This gives a much better impression. Good job Evil D and GPH!

You're also screwed if you lose the whole device. They should put a homing beacon in it. :D

Seriously, I'm quite happy with this. The right-side plus pad was not going to cut it for gaming. But I will be interested to find out if the USB is back to "normal" or it is the limited USB that the F200 has.

But this does mean I have to choose since I was also letting the plus pad make up my mind for me. Luckily I don't believe in preorders. :ph34r:

I'm losing the argument and we're drifting to a minor point so I'll leave this at this:

The economics are similar. Or do you presume that all shops that stock wiz will disappear soon after it's released? If not, you can buy the cable.

klikklak said:
I'm losing the argument and we're drifting to a minor point so I'll leave this at this:

The economics are similar. Or do you presume that all shops that stock wiz will disappear soon after it's released? If not, you can buy the cable.
Economics similar? If it is anything like the GP2X cables won't be available for 6 months, will cost $15 and be broken.

Like the GP2X or any product you have to weight the good and bad points and accept them before buying, or not.

nubie said:
Once they lose the cable or can't hook up USB gamepads they will see the Pandora and sell their old one.
I wish you realized that only a very small percentage of people buy a tiny handheld with the expectation of hooking up a USB controller to it.

You know which handheld devices also don't have USB host? Damn near all of them.

I'm finding that Nubie seems to be grasping hopelessly at straws here. I would like to thank GPH very much for making this change and I look forward to owning a Wiz and developing for it.

Call me cynical, but this while thing seems like a publicity/marketing stunt.

I don't know, i've never owned a GP/GPH machine before so I've not had to deal with the company - it just reminds me of media hype like eg. the import restrictions reported about the PS2 to Iraq because Saddam could use them to launch missles, or the numurous times Nintendo has withheld stock to drive up demand (they have addmitted to this).

Back