The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

nubie said:
the f200 and Wiz don't have it because it uses too much space, costs too much money, and uses electricity
Did you just make that up? The Pollux has decent USB gadget support built in and my BoB for the prototype has a mini USB port which I can only assume is to do with that.

EDIT: http://x11.gp2x.de/tempfiles/gp2x-new/IMG_1126.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm, suprising. Wasn't expecting any change. It's definitely good but now I have dilema whether to buy Wiz or Pandora. Originally I wanted to pass Wiz and skimp and cut for Pandora but now ... I dunno what to do. Maybe my new signature will help? :)

Hirolaser said:
Excellent change to buttons. Thanks Ed and GPH. Just hope that the left d-pad is a proper one and high quality as well as the buttons. Screen size is important especially after having a GP2X. I just feel 2.8" is too small. Can you persuade them to make the screen 3.5" like GP2X? or maybe that's pushing it.

or how about two versions? a 3.5" screen version and a 2.8" version?

I think some of you are misinterpreting this thread -- thinking that EvilDragon can now just go to GPH and get them to change any aspect of the Wiz. It's not going to happen, and it's completely unrealistic of anyone to think so. The change of the ABXY Pad into four separate buttons is a fix to something that could debilitate the system in terms of controls, and I'd wager that it won't cost GPH too much to do so (I'm guessing it would just take a modified face plate and buttons), as opposed to other aspects of the unit that would cost them much more to change, and take much more time to do so.

Orkie said:
nubie said:
the f200 and Wiz don't have it because it uses too much space, costs too much money, and uses electricity
Did you just make that up? The Pollux has decent USB gadget support built in and my BoB for the prototype has a mini USB port which I can only assume is to do with that.

EDIT: http://x11.gp2x.de/tempfiles/gp2x-new/IMG_1126.JPG

I think you completely misunderstood, I am talking to him about the NetChip by PLX

He wants USB network, AFAIK that is supported by the netchip, not any software that can be on any platform.

Well what you know is wrong, that is just a gadget driver. I think it is you that misunderstand ;). The net chip just provided the hardware for it.

Orkie said:
Well what you know is wrong, that is just a gadget driver. I think it is you that misunderstand ;). The net chip just provided the hardware for it.
OK, I am most confused, why is this "gadget driver" not implemented on the F200? If developers need it so badly why hasn't it been made available for the F200 model?

What is the big deal with the netchip anyway? (besides providing USB 2.0 support, taking up space and using electricity)

thanks to GPH and the GP32X crew!! (2 mr. very very Evil Dragon)

thanks from Russia 8)

PS

I wish we could charge it trough USB
I wish there were some EXT plug -> USB adaptors available

nubie said:

Lose that cable and then tell me I complain just for the sake of it.
Actually, that EXT Port is a standard port in Korean Samsung mobile phones.
There are Millions of mobile phones out there in Seoul with that exact same connector. They charge their mobile phone daily without breaking the port.
The Samsung AC Adaptor actually works on the Wiz, so there are tons of easy replacements you can get.

Last edited:
nubie said:
OK, I am most confused, why is this "gadget driver" not implemented on the F200? If developers need it so badly why hasn't it been made available for the F200 model?

What is the big deal with the netchip anyway? (besides providing USB 2.0 support, taking up space and using electricity)
Because the F200 has no gadget hardware wired up to the USB port. The net chip provided the gadget hardware for the F100. However, the SD reader driver was really bad on the F100 and GPH couldn't fix it so they replaced it entirely with a dedicated SD reader chip.

EvilDragon said:
nubie said:

Lose that cable and then tell me I complain just for the sake of it.
Actually, that EXT Port is a standard port in Korean Samsung mobile phones.
There are Millions of mobile phones out there in Seoul with that exact same connector. They charge their mobile phone daily without breaking the port.
The Samsung AC Adaptor actually works on the Wiz, so there are tons of easy replacements you can get.

YAY!!!

OK, so I can charge it with a Samsung mobile phone charger, that is excellent news. (those are readily available on the aftermarket for a reasonable price)

How about the USB host availability?

USB host from launch is currently my only real gripe. If USB host can cost under $20 (even for 300ma single port), then I am gung ho, I will sell my PC and try to buy one. USB hubs are $10 with a power supply, we should be able to use them without a lot of trouble.

See guys, I was only getting worked up for nothing (if GPH would just tell us these things from the start it would be so much nicer dealing with them. They have a pre-order and details aren't even final yet :unsure: )

Assuming the USB Host is not available from launch can you ask them to provide pinouts and leave the extra pins in that cable? (or at least give you a few hundred extra pins that you can distribute) It is really difficult to see people trying to dev for it and being entirely without info or hardware to do that.

nubie said:
Not a similar situation at all, we still get people starting threads on "breaking" the stick, it was a poor stick.

The poor stick is nothing to do with the cap. The stick cannot last the life of the console, some broke in 1 month, more in 3 months. Only consoles that are played gently last longer than a year.

It is a piss poor stick design (did you ever look at the data sheet pdf for the stick? It is an off the shelf job not rated for use in a gaming machine.)

I've had my f100 gp2x for well over 2 years and it never "broke". Actually though I heard many complaints about the stick I rarely if ever heard of sticks breaking. Just some paranoia that it would happen.

Orkie said:
nubie said:

Because the F200 has no gadget hardware wired up to the USB port. The net chip provided the gadget hardware for the F100. However, the SD reader driver was really bad on the F100 and GPH couldn't fix it so they replaced it entirely with a dedicated SD reader chip.

So the point I was making was entirely valid? You were only correcting my semantics?

Gadget software + F100 = USB network

Gadget software + F200 = No Hardware for software to use.

Gadget software + Wiz = No hardware for software to use.

My point was that the Wiz wouldn't have the USB network because it likely won't have a netchip for size, cost and power reasons.

Is this incorrect? Does the Wiz have a netchip (or other similar "Gadget chip"?)

I am afraid we don't understand each other very well. (as an aside, I am probably extra grumpy because of my bricked GP2X, if Running blankit doesn't make the NAND respond to Uboot what is my next step? Start another thread in the Help section?)

jbrodack said:
nubie said:
Not a similar situation at all, we still get people starting threads on "breaking" the stick, it was a poor stick.

The poor stick is nothing to do with the cap. The stick cannot last the life of the console, some broke in 1 month, more in 3 months. Only consoles that are played gently last longer than a year.

It is a piss poor stick design (did you ever look at the data sheet pdf for the stick? It is an off the shelf job not rated for use in a gaming machine.)

I've had my f100 gp2x for well over 2 years and it never "broke". Actually though I heard many complaints about the stick I rarely if ever heard of sticks breaking. Just some paranoia that it would happen.

Sorry you missed them, there was one in the past couple of days. "Broken" is when the stick feels limp and won't register controls, you fiddle it with pliers or a firm grip and it either breaks or snaps back in for a while. A lot of people report that center push will not function afterwards.

A real Dpad would not exhibit these problems, and if it did have trouble a cleaning and new rubber pads would fix it quickly (even a rubber pad scavenged from a TV remote or another controller/portable).

With the F100 you would be sending it away to have the joystick replaced, or buying your own and soldering it in yourself.

The F200 has four buttons, I have seen someone cut the cross out of the face and glue the buttons to it to make a real d-pad, I wouldn't buy an F200 after I had seen that.

The Wiz seems to fix that problem :)

nubie said:
So the point I was making was entirely valid? You were only correcting my semantics?

Gadget software + F100 = USB network

Gadget software + F200 = No Hardware for software to use.

Gadget software + Wiz = No hardware for software to use.

My point was that the Wiz wouldn't have the USB network because it likely won't have a netchip for size, cost and power reasons.

Is this incorrect? Does the Wiz have a netchip (or other similar "Gadget chip"?)

I am afraid we don't understand each other very well. (as an aside, I am probably extra grumpy because of my bricked GP2X, if Running blankit doesn't make the NAND respond to Uboot what is my next step? Start another thread in the Help section?)
Like I said, Pollux has the hardware built in. As for your GP2X, it might be best to ask ED or somebody if they still run unbricking services and could have a look for you.

I responded to something else before responding to the main point of the thread.

Proper buttons is great news as many would not have bought it with the dual dpad design. 3.5 makes things easier for most people too.

I'm still happy with my gp2x but when I go for a new handheld I'll almost surely go for the wiz knowing it will have normal buttons. It has everything most would want in a true gp2x successor. You want something above and beyond a direct gp2x successor you can go for the pandora. Its a great time for open source consoles.

So thanks Evildragon for looking out for the community and getting us actual buttons that will be comfortable for gaming. You've been very good to the community. And thanks GPH for listening and even delaying the release to get things right.

Nubie, it is safe to say you don't understand the hardware and software requirements needed to get USB networking to work at anywhere near the same level Orkie does. Please stop telling people that it needed a dedicated USBNET chip when you don't have all the facts. It will put people off buying it for an error on your part which isn't fair.

Back