The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

@gameparkholdings THANK YOU! for the proper 3.5mm jack! i use my gp2x for making music and was turned off by the 2.5mm jack.

can anyone comment on wiz boot time? the gp2x is pretty slow ... fingers crossed that the wiz will be closer to an original gameboy boot time! or at least provide some visual feedback while it's booting up.

@Orkie, could you answer the question that made Eclipse:

Last question, will you need that BoB to add the gp2x in a network or debug the application using telnet or being that stuff on the pollux you can just plug the ext-usb cable and use it like in the good f-100's days?

Thanks in advance.

starpause said:
@gameparkholdings THANK YOU! for the proper 3.5mm jack! i use my gp2x for making music and was turned off by the 2.5mm jack.

can anyone comment on wiz boot time? the gp2x is pretty slow ... fingers crossed that the wiz will be closer to an original gameboy boot time! or at least provide some visual feedback while it's booting up.
Am keen to find out about this too. Just sold my 2x and am going to end up going for either a pandora or a wiz based on which boots faster. Though the wiz also looks more appealing for gigging with to me.

snicker..... going for a wiz......:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please add an analogue volume control (disc like pandora / ds) then - I am 100% sure to buy the wiz.

Thank you.

starpause said:
@gameparkholdings

This I have info on and it's currently 32 seconds.

@midget35 analog volume control would be nice but it's not essential.

@craigix thanks for the info! hopefully GPH can reduce the boot time because even my f200 running firmware 4.0 only takes 30seconds to boot :eek:

can anyone with a dev unit tell me: does the wiz have a serial port and is possible to set custom baud rates (say to 31250 baud for midi)? the gp2x could only go faster and slower than midi (it is a software problem with the linux kernel, not a hardware limitation) so hopefully GPH will enable custom baud rates for the wiz & also make it possible to turn debugging/logging off (so that the midi signal isn't interrupted).

starpause said:

I can tell you that the firmware is still being finalised.

craigix said:
This I have info on and it's currently 32 seconds.
You may be right (I think the current boot time is pretty long) but as I said above, the firmware isn't finalised. Furthermore, Orkie should have Open2x on it after a little while...

It's sad that GPH are doing it again. Crappy boot times and a need for an alternative firmware. Can't you just try to convince them to use open2X? I'm tired of trying.

craigix said:
It's sad that GPH are doing it again. Crappy boot times and a need for an alternative firmware. Can't you just try to convince them to use open2X? I'm tired of trying.
I don't care about boot times anyway but GPH are working fairly closely with Orkie (hence he has a prototype) so I don't know what will/could happen. I will know more about boot times when I get my Wiz prototype.

Whatever the loadtime now, I honestly do think I can cut it down. The firmware I have at least uses JFFS2 and udev which each take an age to do various checks and inits.

Orkie said:
Whatever the loadtime now, I honestly do think I can cut it down. The firmware I have at least uses JFFS2 and udev which each take an age to do various checks and inits.
that's great to hear! i hope that GPH are open to your suggestions and patches ... and get the official firmware done up properly :wub:

Thank you so much Game Park Holdings, I was not to sure about the design after some
other posts i read said that they couldn't even get past the first level of a game!
Now i will definitely buy a Wiz! :D

I have from a good source information about boot times:

Presently it takes about 20 seconds for the Wiz to boot, and this is mainly to do with initialization of the flash engine for the flash animated boot intro. This boot time will be reduced to about 15 seconds when the final release firmware is completed, which is half the boot time of my GP2X F-100 which boots in 29 seconds. I can definitely live with that!!!

One of the post release firmware updates will allow you to turn off or possibly change the boot animation allowing you to reduce that time even further.

I did get the feeling that they are half and half regretting including flash on the Wiz, personally I think it was a smart move and one that gives it a lot of potential.

Back