The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Orkie said:
He won't buy one. DaveC is just a whingebag, he lives to complain.
An you live to complain and whinge about me complaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
vapourstreak said:
Is there any pics of the new layout? I'd like to see it before i preorder
Agreed. I can understand not showing a prototype, but it would be really nice to see what a new one looks like. If only they'd throw in an analog nub and WiFi, too. But then again, it might make the Wiz more than it's supposed to be... WiFi, maybe not, but an analog nub of some sort would be nice for PSX and homebrew.

i don't know if it's a final design or a mock up or ??? but there is a picture of the wiz with separated ABXY buttons on the front of the official homepage:

http://www.gp2xwiz.co.kr/FrontStore/iStartPage.phtml

i'm still curious about being able to set the serial port speed for sending/recieving midi.

another fun link, evildragon showing a wiz off (looks like the same developers model we've already seen pictures of) at IFA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JeJoSO6nFg

The separated buttons on the homepage look like the PlayStation D-pad. I would like to see round buttons because the current buttons still look uncomfortable.

flash101 said:
The separated buttons on the homepage look like the PlayStation D-pad. I would like to see round buttons because the current buttons still look uncomfortable.
The issue was never comfort. Having used the D-pad I didn't find it uncomfortable but just impractical for games that required opposite buttons to be pressed at the same time.

Peter R said:
flash101 said:
The issue was never comfort. Having used the D-pad I didn't find it uncomfortable but just impractical for games that required opposite buttons to be pressed at the same time.

I didn't mean comfort as feeling good...I meant it as uncomfortable to play game's as you mentioned.

flash101 said:
Peter R said:
flash101 said:

I didn't mean comfort as feeling good...I meant it as uncomfortable to play game's as you mentioned.

thats english for you ;) one word.. double meanings

im feeling the effects of Humanities = =

bazt said:
Or if you like to read in broken English:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...sl=ko&tl=en

Key changes include the following.
* D-Pad improve the jojakseong
* The current 2.5 to 3.5 yieoponjaek pie pie type replacement
* U / I stabilization and ...

so awesome!

and thanks for the link to the new ABYX close up, looks perfectly usable to me =)

@Peter R, would love to see more pictures. also, since you're a developer w/ prototype access, do you have any insight on my serial port question (if you can set custom baud rates and if it's possible to disable debugging/console output from spewing out the serial port).

starpause said:
i'm still curious about being able to set the serial port speed for sending/recieving midi.
My developer board at least has two serial ports on it. One of them is used for the console, the other is not (but is still functional). I don't know if you can change the speed, never having tried it.

Wait for the torrent of people who expected normal round buttons (like GP2X) to complain about the "horrible split Dpad"...

;oP

flash101 said:
They probably did it that way because it was less expensive to re-tool the molds.

If you made different shaped buttons the tooling would be scrapped or need extensive and expensive re-work for both the buttons and case.

DaveC said:
flash101 said:
They probably did it that way because it was less expensive to re-tool the molds.

If you made different shaped buttons the tooling would be scrapped or need extensive and expensive re-work for both the buttons and case.

Not to mention all the artwork changes, not only in advertising but in digital images such icons, games etc. Currently they can pretty much keep all the artwork the same!

Hmm...

Now I'm even starting to like this thing.

But I tend to share DaveC's hatred for tiny screens (i.e. anything smaller than 3.5"). Yet, considering how tiny the Wiz is and relatively powerful, it's still interesting.

If I do ever get one of these, it will be after getting my Pandora. Pandora is definitely the superior device, but the Wiz has that tiny size thing going for it. So it could still be fun to have.

Wonder how the battery life is on it?

Also, are there shoulder buttons on it?

Back