The Wiz Gets Proper Buttons And A 3.5mm Headphone Jack

Oddly enough you don't notice that the screen is small as it's so bright and vibrant! The viewing angle is amazing too, more like a flat screen CRT than a TFT.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Oddly enough you don't notice that the screen is small as it's so bright and vibrant! The viewing angle is amazing too, more like a flat screen CRT than a TFT.
You have one already? I'm jealous... :ph34r: But I'd be more jealous if you have a Pandora. :rolleyes:

If so, can you comment on battery life?

Are there shoulder buttons?
EDIT: self reply after researching - yes, it has shoulder buttons.

EDIT 2: OMG... http://www.gp2xwiz.co.kr/FrontStore/iMakeP...html?iPageId=15 - there's the Wiz with Her Knights (my favorite GP32 game ever) onscreen. WTF?! OMG... now I want this damn thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophet said:
You have one already? I'm jealous... :ph34r: But I'd be more jealous if you have a Pandora. :rolleyes:
Yep, I have a pre-production model, I should be able to start deving for it tonight when I get the updated Fenix runtime!

Oh and I pre-ordered a Pandora too, so :p

:)

Orkie said:
starpause said:
i'm still curious about being able to set the serial port speed for sending/recieving midi.
My developer board at least has two serial ports on it. One of them is used for the console, the other is not (but is still functional). I don't know if you can change the speed, never having tried it.

orkie: thanks for the info! are both of the serial ports accessible via the same connector on the bottom?

gamepark: i hope that the production WIZ keeps the second serial port and that it will be possible to change the serial port speed!

i know i've said that 5 times in this thread but i don't know of a better way to contact GPH :ph34r:

Does the WIZ have support for network over USB or some other interface. The F100 has that and I did not buy an F200 because they removed the chips that the F100 had. I know I could do it on the F200 with the appropriate hardware and such but that was not my preferred way of doing development.

starpause said:
Orkie said:
starpause said:
i'm still curious about being able to set the serial port speed for sending/recieving midi.
My developer board at least has two serial ports on it. One of them is used for the console, the other is not (but is still functional). I don't know if you can change the speed, never having tried it.

orkie: thanks for the info! are both of the serial ports accessible via the same connector on the bottom?

gamepark: i hope that the production WIZ keeps the second serial port and that it will be possible to change the serial port speed!

i know i've said that 5 times in this thread but i don't know of a better way to contact GPH :ph34r:

I have the pinouts for the Wiz, and both serial ports are present so it seems :)

I hope to eventually build a breakout box for it.

Gary Miller said:
Does the WIZ have support for network over USB or some other interface. The F100 has that and I did not buy an F200 because they removed the chips that the F100 had. I know I could do it on the F200 with the appropriate hardware and such but that was not my preferred way of doing development.

That question has been asked a thousand of times but nobody answered it. I guess Orkie must know the answer but since he never talked about it I'm afraid there is no network support over USB.

Prophet said:
Hmm...

Now I'm even starting to like this thing.

But I tend to share DaveC's hatred for tiny screens (i.e. anything smaller than 3.5"). Yet, considering how tiny the Wiz is and relatively powerful, it's still interesting.
Yeah the screen is just too damn small. 2.8" is tiny. It should have been at LEAST 3" (even the DS is that big) and should have ideally been 3.5". The case would not have grown that much if done right and it would have been worth it.

It will have a much faster SNES emu though so it is a trade off between that and a GP2X. You lose allot of screen size but gain speed. It would have been nice to have both so that is what the Pandora is for I guess.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Oh you you will definetly notice, you may not mind depending on how good your vision is but you can't help notice a screen that is 50% smaller.

Yes the contrast is good on OLEDs (until they burn out) as the black is true black and not dark grey like an LCD. There really isn't a "viewing angle" as OLEDs emit light, and not let light through a filter like an LCD. OLEDs are awesome if it weren't for their poor longevity. Once they get that licked LCD is dead.

DaveC said:
WarmFluffyUK said:
Oh you you will definetly notice, you may not mind depending on how good your vision is but you can't help notice a screen that is 50% smaller.

I think you missed my point, I'm talking from experience as I already have a Wiz, and honestly the screen really doesn't feel that small.

WarmFluffyUK said:
DaveC said:
WarmFluffyUK said:

I think you missed my point, I'm talking from experience as I already have a Wiz, and honestly the screen really doesn't feel that small.

Ditto, having played on it a bit the other day.

I showed the Wiz to the guys in our Physics department today, and they are already playing around with OLED technology, here's what I found out and some of the things they said:
OLED technology is going to be massive, we're only just starting to realize its potential. The technology will revolutionize the way transistors are made. Currently making a transistor is a pain in the ass, but they are working on Organic inks which will allow you to literally use a printer to print transistors. And this will make the technology amazingly cheap.

They actually had a piece of OLED paper on demo, looked just like an ordinary piece of paper, and as soon as they applied the voltage, the paper literally lit up blue, totally awesome! The reason for OLED paper is that you will be able to make e-books out of it, with all the electronics in the spine of the book. One company are already in the dev stage and banks are throwing money at them.

They predicted OLED will replace all our current screen technology as OLED is improving all the time, and it will be incredibly cheap to produce.

nubie said:
Bla bla bla, complain, complain, there's no USB. I have to use a proprietary cable. it's all crap, bla bla bla, complain
Dude, I didn't make it past page 4 before I had the undeniable urge to reach through my display and slap you.

We all understand you have a bit of a dislike for some of the features of the Wiz. great. You believe that there will be some kind of mass migration from the Wiz to the pandora simply because the Wiz does not fit YOUR criteria of what an open source gaming console should be.

Here is some cold reality for you:

People will buy the Wiz and love it, people will buy the Pandora and love it, and people will buy the PSP, and Nintendo DS and love them as well. Ultimately people's motivations for buying any particular product are entirely their own.

In my case I will be buying the Wiz, I love the form factor and I can see myself playing my emulators and such for hours on end. I do plan to buy a second set of cables as spares, but this has nothing to do with your tirade, and more because that's what I do, and have always done. It's just a good idea. Others will buy the Wiz for the same reason and still more will buy it for the commercial games that will be available for it.

I will ALSO be buying a Pandora... you see both consoles have their place, for the heavy gamer the Pandora will likely provide the power one would need/want. for the light gamer the Wiz is perfect. Both products have their place in portable gaming... and likewise they both have their drawbacks. For instance the Pandora is bulky. it is not as small as the Wiz and thus not quite as convenient when you are queuing or caught waiting somewhere. But likewise if I get the desire to play Jersey Devil (Playstation) I'll want to get down on the Pandora (because of the dual analogues)

I will concede that there will be some who will NOT buy the Wiz (like you) because of their perceptions on what SHOULD be available. admittedly some are developers who could have provided software or games that could have added to the system and we will miss out... but we won't know so it won't matter!

Your belief that people will buy the wiz and then turn around and sell it because their power cable broke is just silly. Much like the gp2z stick issues there will be replacement options that will be inexpensive. Of course this is all based on the asumption that the proprietary cables are defective... for all we know they will NOT be an issue!

If you don't like something about the Wiz, go ahead and voice your concern ONCE and ONLY ONCE! Be clear and concise about your concern and if you can, include a suggestion (a CLEAR suggestion) as to how it can be resolved. Be prepared to be ridiculed for your concern and just let it be! There is no need to continue hammering the corpse in a sad attempt to debate the issue... in the end you will probably NOT get things changed by alienating the very developers you want to persuade.

Look, in the end, if you like the pandora, for WHATEVER reason, BUY IT! and if you DON'T like the Wiz, DON'T BUY IT. mmkay?

If you want to see pictures or the new button scheme goto:www.gp2xwiz.com

IcoNyx said:
nubie said:
Bla bla bla, complain, complain, there's no USB. I have to use a proprietary cable. it's all crap, bla bla bla, complain
Dude, I didn't make it past page 4 before I had the undeniable urge to reach through my display and slap you.

We all understand you have a bit of a dislike for some of the features of the Wiz. great. You believe that there will be some kind of mass migration from the Wiz to the pandora simply because the Wiz does not fit YOUR criteria of what an open source gaming console should be.

Here is some cold reality for you:

People will buy the Wiz and love it, people will buy the Pandora and love it, and people will buy the PSP, and Nintendo DS and love them as well. Ultimately people's motivations for buying any particular product are entirely their own.

In my case I will be buying the Wiz, I love the form factor and I can see myself playing my emulators and such for hours on end. I do plan to buy a second set of cables as spares, but this has nothing to do with your tirade, and more because that's what I do, and have always done. It's just a good idea. Others will buy the Wiz for the same reason and still more will buy it for the commercial games that will be available for it.

I will ALSO be buying a Pandora... you see both consoles have their place, for the heavy gamer the Pandora will likely provide the power one would need/want. for the light gamer the Wiz is perfect. Both products have their place in portable gaming... and likewise they both have their drawbacks. For instance the Pandora is bulky. it is not as small as the Wiz and thus not quite as convenient when you are queuing or caught waiting somewhere. But likewise if I get the desire to play Jersey Devil (Playstation) I'll want to get down on the Pandora (because of the dual analogues)

I will concede that there will be some who will NOT buy the Wiz (like you) because of their perceptions on what SHOULD be available. admittedly some are developers who could have provided software or games that could have added to the system and we will miss out... but we won't know so it won't matter!

Your belief that people will buy the wiz and then turn around and sell it because their power cable broke is just silly. Much like the gp2z stick issues there will be replacement options that will be inexpensive. Of course this is all based on the asumption that the proprietary cables are defective... for all we know they will NOT be an issue!

If you don't like something about the Wiz, go ahead and voice your concern ONCE and ONLY ONCE! Be clear and concise about your concern and if you can, include a suggestion (a CLEAR suggestion) as to how it can be resolved. Be prepared to be ridiculed for your concern and just let it be! There is no need to continue hammering the corpse in a sad attempt to debate the issue... in the end you will probably NOT get things changed by alienating the very developers you want to persuade.

Look, in the end, if you like the pandora, for WHATEVER reason, BUY IT! and if you DON'T like the Wiz, DON'T BUY IT. mmkay?
Good strong point with lots of emotion and evidence ever do debating? LOL

Back