There Is No Need To Include The Ubuntu Netbook Gui In The Nand

Is there a need for Ubuntu Netbook GUI to be on the NAND?

• Yes, pandora needs to be shipped with the Ubuntu GUI on it.

Votes: 115 67.6%
  • No, I will add it on the NAND/SD later or I wont need it all.

Votes: 55 32.4%

• Total voters

Mithrildor

I Haz Custom Title
Website
Visit site
So help files arent included in the NAND for saving space. So why would we include the Ubuntu Netbook GUI? We already got one full GUI and one minimal GUI.

Let it be optional for people to add later once they got the pandora.

A more important question: will there be a repository so we can safely and reliably do "opkg update && opkg upgrade" without fear? This is not always the case with other Angstrom-based devices (Touchbook I'm looking at you) and I really, really hope that OP Inc., is going to be putting some resources into this aspect of things. I really want us all to have a stable, clean, sane OS across the boards (for those of us sticking to the factory image) and being able to reliably upgrade from a repo is really a must, imho ..

DJWillis has a concept in mind, I think it's based around OPKGs and might as well be a standard repository.
Additionally you can also download a full image to reflash in case you broke something (or if you want to have a OS to play around on your SD Card)

EvilDragon: I really don't understand why you and Craig aren't 100% enthusiastic about hosting your own repository for Pandora users - if you had a standard repo at openpandora.org, it would mean you have a channel directly to your customers to get new software - it doesn't have to have commercial/emulator-stuff in it, but it would be a fantastic thing indeed if we get our Pandoras and can then just use the repo to stay up to date with the official factory software updates.

I know the AppStore/Box/Thingy is going to serve this function - maybe it should also just be considered for repo duty as well, to service the OS-level/lib-level updates that are inevitably going to happen? If we have this included in the repo, it means a lot of ease for developers, who can focus on making apps that use the onboard libs ..

WizardStan said:
The leaps of logic some people achieve astound even me, sometimes. :p

If A + B = C then C + A = Lets ride bicycles!!

Last edited by a moderator:
torpor said:
EvilDragon: I really don't understand why you and Craig aren't 100% enthusiastic about hosting your own repository for Pandora users - if you had a standard repo at openpandora.org, it would mean you have a channel directly to your customers to get new software - it doesn't have to have commercial/emulator-stuff in it, but it would be a fantastic thing indeed if we get our Pandoras and can then just use the repo to stay up to date with the official factory software updates.

Guys, we discussed this at least 1000 times already.
IF there is a package manager repository for OPKG, it's for firmware upgrades, NOT for new software (well, except for things that do make it officially into the firmware).

Package managers always do keep their database and stuff inside of the rootfs - that's sitting in the NAND and that's already pretty much cramped with the base system we have.

For new software (games, emulators, etc.) that you will keep on your SD Card, using OPKG is not working since once you remove the SD Card, you'd have tons of dependency problems, obsolete desktop entries of games that don't exist anymore since they maybe were on an old SD Card that broke, etc.

It would be userunfriendly like hell and could break the system easily.

For easy usage, we created the PND files. Download, put them on the SD and that's it. You can even download them using the Pandora. No unpacking, no installing, nothing. It just works.
The game appears in the system and disappears when you remove the card. No dependencies, no obsolete menu entries, nothing.
If you switch to a new SD Card, simply copy the files from the old one over and that's it.

Basically, a repository is just a site where you get all the files you want. That's what the archive is (which will probably replaced by craigs appstore, once it's tested out, since it can do more stuff than the old software I use).

So there will be two repositories: One for games and apps and one for the firmware including updates.

Last edited:
A "Full Repository" is a lot of work and space, and given Pandora is a jiggered Angstrom, why not depend on the Ansgtrom repo?

ie: The OP folks will certainly keep the official firmwares and patches and unique packages, as well as the pnd-repository.

IS it really necessary for them to have _Every possible Linux package_ available as well, when they are already in other locations?

As to what OP plans on it, I don't know; I'm just throwing that out there .. I for one woudl not expect OP to have a full repo, just the important bits as I say :)

jeff

skeezix said:
As to what OP plans on it, I don't know; I'm just throwing that out there .. I for one woudl not expect OP to have a full repo, just the important bits as I say :)

DJWillis thought something up AFAIK, and I trust him :)

My best guess is to have on OPKG repository with all stuff related to the Pandora firmware. Nothing more.
That should be tested and stable.

If anybody wants to install stuff from the Angström repository, there is no problem, he can do this.
But as this might break something in the OS, I wouldn't want that to be included automatically.

Just think about what happened just two days ago: Angström had a broken package in the repo and starting games using PNDs didn't work anymore.
That's something we don't want to happen.

Last edited:
spinghed said:
I for one welcome our Ubuntu GUI overlords!

Rick

25i86e9.jpg

I personally think it's a dreadful GUI. And my experience with its usability was nearly zero. It was extremely buggy, but that may be more related to my hardware (Asus Eee PC) than the software.
But, if it's under 1MB, I guess there's no harm in it.

Well, I think Ubuntu Netbook GUI fits right between XFCE and PMenu.
Ease of use and nice to the eye.
It will be great for those that don't want a full XFCE (or aren't used to linux) but want something a bit more complete than PMenu.

EvilDragon said:
If anybody wants to install stuff from the Angström repository, there is no problem, he can do this.
But as this might break something in the OS, I wouldn't want that to be included automatically.
It may be worthwhile to investigate allowing this IFF the OS image is being booted off an SD card.

WizardStan said:
EvilDragon said:
It may be worthwhile to investigate allowing this IFF the OS image is being booted off an SD card.

Well, what prevents you from doing so?
Everyone who is able to install the OS to an SD card should also be able to use the Angström repository if he wants ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
EvilDragon said:

Well, what prevents you from doing so?
Everyone who is able to install the OS to an SD card should also be able to use the Angström repository if he wants ;)
What prevents it would be the default OS image not including the official Angstrom repository in it's OPKG list :p
I'm trying to imagine a setup where it knows whether it's running off of NAND or SD, and decides whether it will just look at the official Pandora repository, or the include the Angstrom repository as well. Nothing is immediately jumping out at me as an easy way to do this though. I suppose it depends on how DJWillis sets up the Pandora repository.

WizardStan said:
What prevents it would be the default OS image not including the official Angstrom repository in it's OPKG list :p
I'm trying to imagine a setup where it knows whether it's running off of NAND or SD, and decides whether it will just look at the official Pandora repository, or the include the Angstrom repository as well. Nothing is immediately jumping out at me as an easy way to do this though. I suppose it depends on how DJWillis sets up the Pandora repository.

That could still break the system. I don't want anyone to accidentally use any repositories that can break something without even knowing.

Why aren't all the existing community repositories included into Ubuntu?
'cause they could break it!

If you want to use them, you can include them manually.

Last edited:
Back