WoW possible on pandora?

• yes

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • no

Votes: 69 53.9%
  • argh

Votes: 98 76.6%

• Total voters

What no WoW? Next thing you'll be saying I'll never play Halo on the bus with my beloved Pandora! Whats that?

Ebay here I come! :)

I notice no one mentioned this... seems obvious to me.

Why not contact Blizzard and ask them for a port? There are so many mobile ARM devices I'm sure they would jump at the opportunity to put WoW on them and make more money than they could imagine!

;)

Seriously, I believe the only chance of this happening is for one of those new fancy game-streaming services to become available on the Pandora. The chances of that happening have already been discussed, I believe. They are slim. What I CAN'T believe is that I'm replying to this thread.

JayFoxRox said:
YES ARGH!!!

The "yes" just for the lulz, then I decided to add "argh" because it sounded more pirate-ish :)
Heh, I did Yes, No, Argh. Then I deleted my vote and went with No, Argh.

The problem here is that WoW would have to be completely rewritten in order to even consider the idea. One of the reasons why console games of the past were so fast was that everything was written low level. You want a pixel, you'd write it to the appropriate register, you want some sound you do that more or less manually. If you were to do something like that it would be much more likely that WoW would run. I still don't think it would, even if you ignore the impossibility of getting Blizzard to rewrite the entire engine in a way optimized for this particular hardware and probably rewrite the entire OS to allow for WoW to run in such a fashion. Which I doubt is even possible anyways given that the OMAP chipsets aren't really designed the way that say my GBA is.

Hence the No, Argh responce.

Last edited by a moderator:
My belief. If you can write a bot, you should be able to write a lite client.

darien said:
My belief. If you can write a bot, you should be able to write a lite client.
If you're talking about something that's essentially a glorified bot, that would significantly increase the likelihood. Of course then you'd have to worry about what Blizzard is going to do about that.

He may have been serious, and just not cluefull enough to look up system specs/requirements etc.

To wit, many UMPCs can run WoW pretty well; Wibrain, Sony UX UMPC's, etc and so on; heck, a EEE with Windows probably could handle it tolerably well.

So his question is not unfounded, just unresearched.

Answer "No" :)

jeff

neogramps said:
a EEE with Windows probably could handle it tolerably well

My aspire one plays it ok ish when I'm on the go; ...
kuru said:
get a netbook and bugger off

:lol:

I know what you were referring to, just thought it was funny that those two posts came one after the other.

But in all seriousness, I can see why one would want to play WoW on the go, but Pandora just doesn't seem the device for it. With all it's been advertised as, I never thought it would someday be used to play commercial MMORPGs, let alone be powerful enough for something like WoW. Blizzard couldn't be bothered with making something for a low-volume device. The vast majority of commercial companies are like this. If they did do something for Pandora, it's very likely they'll do it at a relatively substantial loss.

Squidge said:
..I don't see many people playing Wow in there local McDonalds or public house (that would be REALLY sad).
My mate's just got back from living in Egypt for about 6 months and basically the guy just sat outside the pub in the sunshine playing WOW on his laptop. Personaly I don't see the point either but each to their own. At least he got a nice tan ;)

neogramps said:
a EEE with Windows probably could handle it tolerably well

My aspire one plays it ok ish when I'm on the go; never gonna raid on it, but you can quest and such no problems. If only my 3g connection wasn't shite, I'd be playing right now (@work)
Yeah when I went up to my mates house the other day he was playing it on his sisters netbook. It actually run quite well until he got into the 20 man raids or wandered about some of the bigger cities. They've done a pretty good job at keeping it quite low on system resources so far :)

Stream My Game would probably be the best hope to getting WOW playable on the Pandora. We would need the client porting over but I could see it running at a decent enough speed though due to it not being a really fast game.

mikko1 said:
it was a noob question yes i admit it, but think about if somebody with determination and alot of hard work pulled it off by making a few modifications but still kept it more portable than an ipad just imagine theres so many wow players and there so addicted that alot of ppl would want it, and with so many ppl asking the question that just proves my point that it would sell quite well, and with technology now days you would think it would be possible

As far as the idea that people could community-bodge it... To quote Sam Goldwyn; "In two words; im-possible."

The only people who could make it happen are Blizzard. I find it very unlikely that they would, when there are many other better candidate devices.

The reasons why it's impossible are detailled and complicated and if you really want to learn them fully, go get a Computer Science degree.

as if none of us had our own pandora noob question, hell my first question was can it run NOX and red alert 2?

Squidge said:
but even then, the Pandora has no 3G, it relies on Wifi and I don't see many people playing Wow in there local McDonalds or public house (that would be REALLY sad).
Considering I've known many WoWtards who don't even have the good sense not to talk about their freaking game at a party to totally uninterested parties, I wouldn't be so sure this doesn't happen. Regularly.

Everything is possible ;)

But its less likely that Blizzard will make the WOW Client Source opensource or port it on their own to the Pandora or let others doing it.

But theres a second way as mentioned: Streaming a videogame. We just need an opensource variant of such kind of tool. Not that hard to realize.. ;)

I can imagine that WOW is playable quite good on the Pandora. You have 2 nubs, one for movement, one for lookaround. And the mouse is controlled by the touchscreen. And youve enough keys to place nearly all your controls. Besides you can optimize the controls by writing an addon for WOW which considers control characteristics of the Pandora - here, I dont know how many restrictions Blizzard have set, but at least you should be able to do some tweeks.

Squidge said:
Maybe on the 25th batch it might be worth doing, but even then, the Pandora has no 3G, it relies on Wifi and I don't see many people playing Wow in there local McDonalds or public house (that would be REALLY sad).

I really think you underestimate WoW players.

My take on this question, is that WoW is not possible, but the basic idea of a MMORPG that allows people to play on other devices like the iPad or through a browser is very sound. Any successful MMORPG that charges money would love to open their game up to as many devices as possible. And MMORPGs have generally lower graphics quality than non-MMORPGs.

However, we're just not there yet. Maybe some MMORPG will figure out how to stream their game over a browser, or develop a lower-resolution way of interacting with the game-world through a non-computer mobile device. One day.

cobaltage said:
However, we're just not there yet. Maybe some MMORPG will figure out how to stream their game over a browser, or develop a lower-resolution way of interacting with the game-world through a non-computer mobile device. One day.

There are dozens, if not hundreds, of browser based MMOs. I thought everyone had heard of Evony, at least.

Back