Can these games be ported? (Reasonable list)

Gajits

Still Fresh
I am buying the Pandora either way. It WAY too amazing to pass up. However, there is a list of games I would love to see ported. I do not have the porting/emulating knowledge you have so please be patient. Also I know I could search the forums and get answers to some of these games but I am serving in Iraq and slow and unstable does not begin to describe my connection.

Here goes:

Fallout 1 and 2.
Baldur's Gate series.
Ultima IV - VII (particularly the Sega Ultima IV)
Planescape series.
System Shock 2
Half Life II
Neverwinter Nights
Ghost Recon

Also, please resist the desire to flame, and I know this is higher end 3d graphics but; World of Warcraft. I just want to be able to log in and check mail use the AH and chat. If the client could run, even choppy it would be amazing.

You should check out this thread: PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE

Older DOS games might be able to be emulated with DosBox, newer PC games if there is no source code, highly unlikely.

There have been many discussions in this forums about what can and can't be run on Pandora.

Roosmaa said:
You should check out this thread: PORTS REQUIRE SOURCE CODE

Older DOS games might be able to be emulated with DosBox, newer PC games if there is no source code, highly unlikely.

There have been many discussions in this forums about what can and can't be run on Pandora.

OK, no for many. However, some of these could run but I am guessing none are open source. The old Ultima roms maybe. Pity.

Really, really too bad.

I hate to shoot you down like this but there's nothing reasonable about asking for recent, highly commercial games such as HL2 and WOW to be ported. The fact is 99.99% of games made in the last 10 years just aren't going to have any chance of making it to the Pandora.

You did make a few sensible suggestions though. Fallout was Dos wasn't it?, and I heard there's a homebrew open source engine for Baldur's gate (might even work with planescape?).
Also NWN has a linux version, but it's still closed source.

Being able to play System Shock 2 on the Pandora would SO rock, but alas I can't see any way it would happen.

Baldur's Gate (and all other Infinity Engine games: Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale I & II) have an excellent chance of running on the Pandora. I forget who it was, but someone looked at the GemRB Infinity Engine interpreter and said that it shouldn't be too difficult to get it up and running. As for System Shock 2, some people are working on an open source recreation of the Dark Engine, http://sourceforge.net/projects/opde/. If that continues to progress, System Shock 2 (and Thief 1 & 2 as well) might be a possibility for the Pandora. Ultima VII can be played through means of the Exult project, http://exult.sourceforge.net/ which is open source. It was ported to run on the Sharp Zaurus, so it shouldn't be too difficult to get up and running on the Pandora. There is also a similar project for Ultima VI called Nuvie, http://nuvie.sourceforge.net/. Ultima V will be playable via DosBox and the Sega Master System version of Ultima IV will be playable through a Master System emulator. Keep in mind, these games are technically feasible, but that doesn't mean that they'll be ported to the Pandora. Even a relatively easy port can take a lot of time and effort to get running. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the ones that I listed do make it to the Pandora eventually. The games are all pretty popular and the Pandora community has some absolutely brilliant people dedicating their time and talents to bring awesome ports and original software to the Pandora.

Gajits said:
Fallout 1 and 2.
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Maybe. Fallout 1 could theoretically be played via a DOSBox, but given the power of Pandora, it's unlikely that it would run at anywhere near playable speed (We'll be lucky if DOSBox will be able to perform at 486 levels... while Fallout requires a 90MHz Pentium).

I believe Fallout 2 is a Windows 95 program, which makes it incredibly unlikely. The only possibility I could see for this would be to run Windows 95 via Bochs or QEMU. But don't get your hopes up for this, as QEMU's ARM backend is still in testing phase, and the chances of either option running the game at a playable speed is incredibly low.

Baldur's Gate series.
Planescape series.
These two seem likely, assuming GemRB were ported.

Ultima IV - VII (particularly the Sega Ultima IV)
Yes. Pretty much every version of Ultima IV should be possible via emulators. I'd sooner recommend the C64 or DOS versions, though a Master System emulator will almost certainly appear if you prefer that one.

Ultima V and VI would probably be best played via DOSBox (My guess is that both would run at a playable speed... though Ultima VI might be close).

Ultima VII of course, would work best via Exult, which already exists for the GP2X, so should be an easy port.

System Shock 2
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Again, maybe... The only hope for this happening on Pandora would be a port of OpenDarkEngine. I'm not entirely familiar with the project, but I highly doubt that this will be a viable option.

Half Life II
Neverwinter Nights
Ghost Recon
No. Won't Happen.

--Zero

I wonder if Valve will release the GoldSrc source on the 19th for Half-Life's ten-year anniversary...

Well there's always StreamMyGame and the like, that's a big possibility (they've shown interest) and I know someone who ran it well on an EEEPC...

System Shock 2

HI! i applied for work experience for 2k Australia (co creators of bioshock and formerly known as irrational games Australia) and i got in touch with the co producer, i didn't get in unfortunately because i haven't much experience at all with the unreal engine (bioshock) so i might have got in the way a bit, but, i got quite a good response out of him with my make shift portfolio, and I've been able to squeeze some really helpful/useful info out of them about how they work etc, perhaps i can ask him if he still has the source code, and whether or not they have considered releasing it yet for the sake of the large fan base. I'll get back to you soon.

Patrick R Ludvigsen said:
I wonder if Valve will release the GoldSrc source on the 19th for Half-Life's ten-year anniversary...

Well there's always StreamMyGame and the like, that's a big possibility (they've shown interest) and I know someone who ran it well on an EEEPC...
It's not the same as being able to play it on the bus, though

Kyosys said:
Patrick R Ludvigsen said:

It's not the same as being able to play it on the bus, though
yep

but where i live i wouldn't take this on a bus :lol:

Back