Think This Forum Needs A Massive Cleaning And Stricter Moderation

Too much pollution, missinformation and uninteresting posts?

• Yes, too much meaningless stuff and offtopic. It needs a lot of cleaning and stricter moderation.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it's good as it is. I like the contents of the forum.

• It just needs a little cleaning, but the forum is OK overall.

• I don't care.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

timofonic

GP Mafia
NOTE: In the first poll option, I wrote by a typo meaningful instead meaningless. I meaned meaningless, I'm sure people can see the error by the context. If you are a moderator, please fix it.
----

Hello.

I had been following this forum section about Pandora and came to the conclusion that the massive message posting by lots of people without reading FAQs of informing better is degrading a lot the quality of this forum and against the meaning of it.

I don't want to sound rude, but I think this forum section needs a massive cleaning in the sense of deleting irrelevant posts, duplicated questions and stupid stuff (offtopics, questions against the common sense like Sega Saturn emulators...). Without this it will scare away lots of skilled users and developers from this community.

This is because most users has not enough knowledge for understand certain thinks and have no clue how is the way of think of a programmer. Certain users think saturating the devs with information will make them more productive when it's the contrary, I think this makes them to get tired earlier of the community and it's an egoistical behaviour of the users ("gimme! gimme! gimme!"). Feedback is of course quite good for developers as makes them forget their subjectivity and know the problems, but saturating devs with nonsense makes them ignore the community at all or even abandoning it.

I hope some moderator considers this and starts some kind of cleaning. It's funny for users with lack of knowledge/skills about this to talk about stuff they don't know, but it just makes to the skilled people to ignore this forum section and getting scared of the future Pandora community.

I recognize I contributed with my grain of sand about converting this in a nonsense, but I have been thinking over and don't want to participated now on this.

I'm not going to reply this and not visit the forum until many weeks, I want to learn interesting stuff instead losing time with uninteresting forums and meaningless debating. Maybe I will not enter even more if I see the situation of this forum not changes or goes even worser.

I think that if moderators of this forum not start cleaning in an intensive and meticulous way and being more stricter with moderation, this forum will lose the initial meaning and will get definitely converted into a troll's cave like other forum sections and gp32/gp2x are now.

I posted this on this forum post here because I don't care at all about the other sections and quite interested on Pandora. I don't have a GP2X and don't want one. Pandora is the first system designed for homebrew that really attracts me and really sad about the situation of it's forum section.

Regards.

timofonic said:
It's funny for users with lack of knowledge/skills about this to talk about stuff they don't know
Too true :rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think forum needs cleaning. For example for me it because english not my native language and it hard for me to read all it then it like this :)

Keep cool guys :p

i think it is the organization of forum Pandora which too simple actually

Now we need in developper section maybe differents section :
  • Firmware - Drivers
  • Ports
  • OpenGL ES , Open VG, 2D / 3D Engines
  • New Projects
  • GUI
  • Help Compile/debug
and if a topic annoys you, don't participate that all

and everyone can be wrong one day and reason another day, it is not serious

in french :
Tout le monde peut avoir tort un jour et raison un autre jour, ce n'est pas grave

grave == serious :unsure:

I agree with everything timofonic is saying.

A good first step would be to create a request section to remove alot of the junk threads and start moving non-development threads from the development section.

I think Squidge was doing a good job in deleting offtopic posts which did stop one particular spammer. ;)

Overall, most of the junk are people going off-topic or just stating their opinion to up their post count. Threads that are started without reading the FAQ are removed quickly or ignored from my understanding.

A clean up i would agree with, but this forum is alot better than most in terms of mature people who read before they post.

I agree to this idea. I have been reading a lot from this forum for over 3 months, and I have been eagerly waiting for pandora ever since. A lot of spam and unnecessary posts is really annoying for us people reading on this forum, but I think it can not be helped. Well, I guess it can be lessened with good categories/sections on the forums. ;)

Yeah it's annoyed me too, it's annoying seeing 20 new threads and having to sort through to read the 1 important thread, especially when I don't get too much time.
Maybe we should change the caption "If you're stupid then don't get a pandora", we don't want another PSP style scene.

I don't understand, this isn't the dev sub-forum, this is the general talk area. What's the big deal? We're all speculating on a device that doesn't exist yet (or isn't public), isn't it natural to ramble on in such a situation?

If you're wanting mods to delete requests for Sega Saturn emus on sight, well that's a bit over the top don't you think? Just let the posts drop off, they'll be replaced by more interesting ones in no time.

quartercast said:
I don't understand, this isn't the dev sub-forum, this is the general talk area. What's the big deal? We're all speculating on a device that doesn't exist yet (or isn't public), isn't it natural to ramble on in such a situation?
I concur :)

Squidge said:
quartercast said:
I concur :)

I agree 100% here. This forum needs some cleaning (and I wouldn't mind an attitude change while we're at it ;) ).

I think the rambling is fine, but let's organize the rambling.

Most postings here are just plain padding.

So much talk and hype about Pandora, waste of time, wait until it is available and then talk about it.

People just like to post for the sake of posting and also post questions about things that have been answered so many times before. The GP2x is coming to the end of its life, so why are there still so many forum topics being recycled?

These are the reasons I don't come to this forum much these days; anyway, my love for console hacking is paramount these days.

Once the Pandora is out, it'll make sense to switch to the usual board structure - crucially including the "cool ideas and other wishes" section which, inevitably, includes about 70% of the posts currently here (and a fair number of those in the dev section too).

Before then... I'm a little reluctant to start closing threads left right and centre for asking what *are* legitimate questions, even if they have been answered before.

That said, if people want a policy of "No <link> [close]" where link is the relevant thread with more detail, then I can start behaving like that... it just seems a bit harsh to me for now.

I think everybody just needs to chill out and not care much one way or the other. The important thing is the actual development, which most cannot do much about. Just have patience.

Relax/lighten up a bit. This isn't the dev forum :)

I agree that everyone should read the FAQ and try not to ask questions that are already answered in it. But if you want this forum to contain only spot on relevant information and questions then it would be almost void of life.

I think it's wonderful that the pandora community is bubbling with excitement. It's the same thing that happened before the release of the GP2X. Everyone is eagerly awaiting news on these forums, and some can't wait so they create their own content. What's wrong with that? It's what currently keeps the community alive.

People really want the Pandora and feel a need to question, discuss, speculate and suggest. I think you should be more worried if the posting stopped. That would mean lack of interest. We don't want that do we? :)

All things in moderation. If you let the forums run wild they get filled up with nonsense and mature, helpful posters will get tired and leave. However, if you start to get too elitist and and flame / lock any threads asking questions, you will also drive good people away. The devs have been doing a decent job of dealing with blatantly offensive threads and moving truly off topic threads to the proper forum. There may be some room to tighten up on redundant questions (lock them once they're answered, before they drift off topic), but you do not want the board to be overtly hostile to new people.

I find it ironic that the OP should be so adamant about purging "unnecessary" threads. Timofonic himself was one of the biggest serial offenders, posting over a dozen marginally useful feature request threads long after the hardware was essentially finalized. I wonder how he would have felt if his requests had been locked and buried without a reasonable response.

EDIT: Spelling

Eolair said:
Relax/lighten up a bit. This isn't the dev forum :)

I agree that everyone should read the FAQ and try not to ask questions that are already answered in it. But if you want this forum to contain only spot on relevant information and questions then it would be almost void of life.

I think it's wonderful that the pandora community is bubbling with excitement. It's the same thing that happened before the release of the GP2X. Everyone is eagerly awaiting news on these forums, and some can't wait so they create their own content. What's wrong with that? It's what currently keeps the community alive.

People really want the Pandora and feel a need to question, discuss, speculate and suggest. I think you should be more worried if the posting stopped. That would mean lack of interest. We don't want that do we? :)
I agree with you this section is to speak about everything and every dreams about Pandora maybe we need an sub section disgress :p

But for now as developper i need more sections in the developper corner for discuss seriously and begin working

I suggest move the Topics about GUI concepts like Chad78 , Joppu and the others to a section GUI in developper corner it is time i think : it is the 5 may and we need an GUI for end users so we must begin work on it now !

And we need (developpers) know what could we do to participate , make team ? need to know who is working on firmware and who is working on GUI

I hope that forum section will be totaly erased when pandora will repeat the XGP's fate

quasist said:
I hope that forum section will be totaly erased when pandora will repeat the XGP's fate
mm.... you wish :D

I'm not gonna bother posting in the pandora section for a while now.... ever since a couple of weeks ago it's all been bollocks. Wait 'till the bloody thing comes out, people!

Back