I Think We Need More Forums

mali said:
jb0yx said:
AND THE MOTHER F*KER HASN'T EVEN BEEN RELEASED YET!
When Pandora is released, the topics will change, that's obvious.

Well, one of my reasons for the forum subdivision suggestion was that more focused sub-forums could catalyze the emergence of community projects, such as documentation efforts or indie games*, so that when we do get there, we'll already have some nice things.

*I'm aware that this stuff is already happening, but I think that it could be more massive.

Last edited by a moderator:
differentSmoke, I know what you mean and subdivision is planned anyway as mentioned above. As long as we are in a waiting state, people can just open up new threads for their ideas/projects and ban off topic, like I did with the quotes thread, for example. If something really important is discussed and the original poster doesn't want off topic stray, he could ask a MOD to remove off topic. I think we are actually mature enough to respect a poster's wish even without MOD intervention :)

mali said:
differentSmoke, I know what you mean and subdivision is planned anyway as mentioned above. As long as we are in a waiting state, people can just open up new threads for their ideas/projects and ban off topic, like I did with the quotes thread, for example. If something really important is discussed and the original poster doesn't want off topic stray, he could ask a MOD to remove off topic. I think we are actually mature enough to respect a poster's wish even without MOD intervention :)
I get what you're saying but, somehow, I feel that discussions are too unfocused right now, like if two hardware gurus start talking they'll get interrupted by newbies, trolls and hyper-comunicative 16 year olds, and if high-level coders like meself want to discuss trendy user friendly IDE's we might get drowned by too many tech wizards who are far too 1337 for us, etc.

Of course, unexpected irruptions like that are great for expanding your horizons, they're the meat and bones of online communication, only just now I think it would be better to have more balance between a broad approach and a specialized one, and make the site a bit more focused.

And I still don't get why we should wait to shipping date, to me it only reinforces "shipping anxiety" by having the launch date become more of an obstacle than it should be.

Well, dunno. You want a second devs' corner where no "tech wizards" should post? I'm not sure I can follow you correctly :huh:
Why don't you just post a new thread about user friendly IDEs and demand off topic-less discussion? Worth a try, imo. Just post what you intend to discuss and see what happens.
On boards like NBR there aren't even subsections for devices, just brands. The thread itself sometimes represents a virtual subforum.

I don't want to force you to adopt an opinion, so if you are really sure it's a good idea, then just post in the "suggestions" subforum and maybe ED and hando think the same and add subforums :)

There should be an "Offtopic" thread where any member of the forums with a join date > 2007 is automatically sandboxed until they're actively working on a port or have proven themselves by a series of trials and tests.

(naw)mcx said:
i'm a living example of why that won't work.

i have >2000 posts. How many of those were of use? Exactly.
I would think only this one. Shit, that goes for me too.

@WoD: I'm working on a game right now but it's retarded and most of it revolves around masturbation jokes. Does this count in your elite Utopian GP32X eyes?

I think that once the pandora is in our hands there will be sections like "Support" "Games" etc.
Now it isn't necessary.

EDIT: 1000th post

Crunchwrap said:
(naw)mcx said:
i'm a living example of why that won't work.

i have >2000 posts. How many of those were of use? Exactly.
I would think only this one. Shit, that goes for me too.

@WoD: I'm working on a game right now but it's retarded and most of it revolves around masturbation jokes. Does this count in your elite Utopian GP32X eyes?
Holy crap crunchwrap, you're actually going to write that game? I thought that was a joke. *_*

My two sense: an "off topic" sub-subcategory, under the pandora subcategory, would be awesome. There's a lot of general conversing and "getting to know you" type threads that I would love to make that really only fit in the "off topic" section...

Granted, I COULD post in the gp32x main "off topic" section... but then my threads would be polluted with non-pandorian sludge. I wanna make threads for things like "take a picture of your cat playing your Pandora" or a thread for everyone to introduce themselves to fellow pandorians when they're new to the boards... but idunno... it just seems like it would taint them to be in the generic "off topic" section.

It would even be the perfect place for all those off topic, but still kinda Pandora-related threads that get started about competing devices or new chip technologies. Once again, yeah I get that I could put it in the generic gp32x "off topic" board... but I want my segregation! :D <_<

WoD said:
There should be an "Offtopic" thread where any member of the forums with a join date > 2007 is automatically sandboxed until they're actively working on a port or have proven themselves by a series of trials and tests.

That's not cool... not everyone makes a forum account immediately... I've been lurking around here since '06 but never bothered making an account until a year or so after I ordered my Pandora... and never bothered doing much posting until I woke up this morning. There's gotta be others in the same boat as me... not everyone can stand the suspense of posting in a place where you're very likely to be made fun of for you lack of post-count or new join date.

JOIN DATE ELITISM IS MEAN! :blink:

mitosis said:
My two sense: an "off topic" sub-subcategory, under the pandora subcategory, would be awesome. There's a lot of general conversing and "getting to know you" type threads that I would love to make that really only fit in the "off topic" section...

Granted, I COULD post in the gp32x main "off topic" section... but then my threads would be polluted with non-pandorian sludge. I wanna make threads for things like "take a picture of your cat playing your Pandora" or a thread for everyone to introduce themselves to fellow pandorians when they're new to the boards... but idunno... it just seems like it would taint them to be in the generic "off topic" section.

It would even be the perfect place for all those off topic, but still kinda Pandora-related threads that get started about competing devices or new chip technologies. Once again, yeah I get that I could put it in the generic gp32x "off topic" board... but I want my segregation! :D <_<

I love the sound of that, the pandora subfourms are like their own ecosystem, and have their own community.

WoD said:
wow I just read this... are you freaking kidding me? Elitism at it's best right here gentlemen :rolls eyes:

cause you know... you HAVE to join before 2007 (is there a specific month that makes you a non-noob?) to have anything good to say or original idea. If you aren't a programmer or lord forbid you make an account after the thing is released everything you say must be irrelevant and thus offtopic correct? I am just absolutely flabbergasted that someone's thought processes actually work like this.... completely amazing.

HEY look over there! Some jews! Get them!... They have a app camp for that.. Hitler

jb0yx said:
cause you know... you HAVE to join before 2007 (is there a specific month that makes you a non-noob?) to have anything good to say or original idea.
Your e-peen must be at least <------- THIS --------> big to post.

WoD said:

I am living evidence that your suggestion will not work

Back