Why Do We Still Use These Forums?

These devices actually have a lot of common ground and interests, I think you'll see even more in the future that a lot of people are developing for multiple ones at the same time and there will be a lot of crossover between releases. Even now a number of people have both Pandora and Wiz dev setups (in addition to GP2X's of course).

Last edited by a moderator:
My biggest grief with using this site...

If you go to
http://www.gp32x.de/
i.e. the root of where this forum is located, there is no mention, no link, nothing even relating to the Pandora.

To get to the Pandora forum you need to...
1. Click the link to "GP32 and GP2X Forums"
2. Scroll down a page
3. Click on Pandora or one of it's sub-forums.

Until you get to 3, there isn't anything that even relates to it.

The banner at the top says GP32 with a red X through it. I'm not here for a GPanything device.

I know it feels convenient for Pandora to be parked in Game Park's forums, but the fact that it is treated as a red headed step child doesn't help the community image or differentiate this device.

Maybe adding a set of links to the front page Menu section to "Pandora News" and "Pandora Forums" would help.

Just my humble opinion.

This is home. This is where the Pandora was created. I agree that it could use some stricter moderation, fixes, design updates etc. but splitting the community is not an option.

'OrR' said:
This is home. This is where the Pandora was created. I agree that it could use some stricter moderation, fixes, design updates etc. but splitting the community is not an option.
agree. Besides, when we have working Pandoras in hands, we will know how much in debt we are to this community. And so will know OP.

'Grench' said:

If you go to http://www.gp32x.de/
i.e. the root of where this forum is located, there is no mention, no link, nothing even relating to the Pandora.

2. Scroll down a page

The banner at the top says GP32 with a red X through it. I'm not here for a GPanything device.

I know it feels convenient for Pandora to be parked in Game Park's forums, but the fact that it is treated as a red headed step child doesn't help the community image or differentiate this device.

1) The forums are not GamePark's. They're a community that formed around the device(s) built by them and later GPH.

2) You're not supposed to go to gp32x.de to look for Pandora-aything if you follow the Pandora official website (openpandora.org). The link for "forums" redirects here to the Pandora subforums where you don't see any of the rest if you don't want to (I for one do that).

I really can't see the degree of blindness one needs to post Pandora stuff by accident on the GP2X forum just because it's at the top of the index--the website points to this forum! There's no reason at all to go directly to gp32x.de to access this forums if you don't know what you're doing, it's easier (and more correct) to just visit the project's official website and click the "FORUM" link.

edit: I wouldn't mind if they changed the logo/header of the Pandora subforums to make it clearer that it's 'official', as long as they keep the skin. I really dislike the colors in the other (openpandora.org) forums ;)

'Grench' said:

If you go to

2. Scroll down a page

Maybe adding a set of links to the front page Menu section to "Pandora News" and "Pandora Forums" would help.

Just my humble opinion.

I'm sorta split on this as well. I suggested awhile ago to hando I believe that the site be re-done, and re-organized, as no there really is no direct link to Pandora stuff on the main page. This has been a major gripe of mine from many many months ago.

However, this place was the start of it all, and all of its ideas and discussions. So it would be wrong to have a completely seperate forum for it. But still as I suggested a long time ago, we really should have a pandora section right on the front page, below the gp2x and gp32 forums. It just doesn't make any sense for it to be this ass-backwards. Especially for Newbs. I've been here for quite a while, so I know my way around the site, and watched it change, and develop, but really its needed a facelift for quite a while, and I ain't the only one thats saying it.
The forums and such should've been re-done when the gp32x.de crashed for a whole 2 weeks back in October, but it just came back in the same exact look.

Its sorta sad......I dont mean to sound down or un-enthustiastic about it, but it just gnaws at you after a while that everybody is just sorta waiting.....on a forum thats not properly organized, sorta like the a bunch of castaways on a remote island......waiting for their rescue ship......

DSR

'Mithrildor' said:
'OrR' said:
Home Sweet Home?

Every home has problems, but its our home. :)

'Grench' said:
the fact that it is treated as a red headed step child doesn't help the community image or differentiate this device.
Well, it might help if this forum is not so easy to bring down. And that they fix that *arg* single quote problem, and link problem. Its beyond annoying, it makes some posts, especially if somebody edits there, looks like total unreadable dribble if they use a lot off single quotes.

How long does it take, and fix the post query. It does not take a rocket genius to know that this problem is a result from a sql injection last time the site has become unusable, and the quick fix was to escape with another single quote, without realizing that any single quote in a post message will also double. So, one becomes two. Edit: two become four... Edit again ... wieeeee ;)

It nice to hear for a while now that it will be fixed shortly bla bla bla ... Thats the problem with using a other persons forum. When the admin is to busy ( what he always seems to be ), the board software gets neglected, leaving it open to a host off other problems.

So my vote on the subject is: Set up VBulletin on the Pandora Servers, and move the entire community ( and posts ) there. Problem solved :p

Birthplace. The Pandora was born in this community.

There's also the problem of successfully moving the Pandora community without dividing it even further. Because I don't think the admin of this forum would be willing to let you rip out the Pandora section here and close it. That's hardly in his or this community's best interest.

There should only be a separate forum if the Pandora sells hundreds of thousands. That is how it will be said I and that is how it will be.

'adamorjames' said:
There should only be a separate forum if the Pandora sells hundreds of thousands. That is how it will be said I and that is how it will be.
Sure? I did read OpenPandora.org forums were just a temporal solution...

'adamorjames' said:
Well then i would vote to move at least the "general" section to another place ;)

'mitosis' said:
Also, when you say that it'd be better not to split the community, but upon some introspection it made me think of something just now.

I didn't even realize it when I was making the post, but a large part of why I even brought this up is that it feels (to me) like the community is divided right now... that thought is what even made me think of the question of why we don't have our own forums.

The reason why I say it feels divided to me is that we have all these different places for Pandora-related info, development, and communication that are all over the place... we've got openpandora.org, these forums, pandorawiki.org, and the slew of unofficial places like the wordpress blog (which does a great job I'm not denying those guys are awesome).

It just seems like whenever there's a thread about this or that Pandora-related development or news that the source of the info is always coming from "somewhere else" and not here. And by here I just mean wherever the current "home base" for Open Pandora is... which is currently these boards... which are a subforum on someone else's forum full of information found on other forums.
As it has been mentioned before:

1. All news is announced either on the Official Blog or these forums. The Unofficial blog merely "echoes" so that people who don't read the forums can get in on some of the information.

2. The wiki is not a news source. It is meant to be similar to a place to retrieve Documentations and How-to's and such for the Pandora.

'lulzfish' said:
I know, but the apostrophes and the links are killing me.
Get Greasemonkey and make a script. If you want to make it really easy on yourself, get Platypus and use it to make the script. If you aren't using Firefox, there's similar solutions for most mainstream browsers.

'Grench' said:

If you go to

2. Scroll down a page

Just my humble opinion.

Pandora information and News will probably be added to the portal sometime after the Pandora actually ships and there are devs uploading new programs and games to the file archives.

'OrR' said:
I wholeheartedly agree.

'Benjiro' said:
'Grench' said:
the fact that it is treated as a red headed step child doesn't help the community image or differentiate this device.
Well, it might help if this forum is not so easy to bring down. And that they fix that *arg* single quote problem, and link problem. Its beyond annoying, it makes some posts, especially if somebody edits there, looks like total unreadable dribble if they use a lot off single quotes.

How long does it take, and fix the post query. It does not take a rocket genius to know that this problem is a result from a sql injection last time the site has become unusable, and the quick fix was to escape with another single quote, without realizing that any single quote in a post message will also double. So, one becomes two. Edit: two become four... Edit again ... wieeeee ;)

It nice to hear for a while now that it will be fixed shortly bla bla bla ... Thats the problem with using a other persons forum. When the admin is to busy ( what he always seems to be ), the board software gets neglected, leaving it open to a host off other problems.

So my vote on the subject is: Set up VBulletin on the Pandora Servers, and move the entire community ( and posts ) there. Problem solved :p

1. vBulletin costs even more to license than Invision
2. These forums already ARE on the Pandora servers. Ever heard of the term Domain Parking?

-God Ginrai

'Exophase' said:
These devices actually have a lot of common ground and interests, I think you'll see even more in the future that a lot of people are developing for multiple ones at the same time and there will be a lot of crossover between releases. Even now a number of people have both Pandora and Wiz dev setups (in addition to GP2X's of course).
That's true, I just wish we could get a similar break down of areas here. And for people to actually post news in the news forums rather than the general discussion forum.

'God Ginrai' said:
<snip lots of quotes>

2. These forums already ARE on the Pandora servers. Ever heard of the term Domain Parking?

-God Ginrai
IIRC, ED said that he'd suggested to Hando many times that he move the forums over to his server, but it hadn't happened. Did they ever actually make the switch? If so, then ED would just be able to log in to the server and make the edits that Hando hasn't made yet...

'God Ginrai' said:
<snip lots of quotes>

-God Ginrai
um. no, gp32x is still hosted in poland as opposed to ed's server in germany. the switch never occurred. i think hando should hando-ff (lol) his forum to ED but he either seems to not have time to do that or reluctant for some reason.

'mitosis' said:
Also, when you say that it'd be better not to split the community, but upon some introspection it made me think of something just now.

I didn't even realize it when I was making the post, but a large part of why I even brought this up is that it feels (to me) like the community is divided right now... that thought is what even made me think of the question of why we don't have our own forums.

The reason why I say it feels divided to me is that we have all these different places for Pandora-related info, development, and communication that are all over the place... we've got openpandora.org, these forums, pandorawiki.org, and the slew of unofficial places like the wordpress blog (which does a great job I'm not denying those guys are awesome).

It just seems like whenever there's a thread about this or that Pandora-related development or news that the source of the info is always coming from "somewhere else" and not here. And by here I just mean wherever the current "home base" for Open Pandora is... which is currently these boards... which are a subforum on someone else's forum full of information found on other forums.
The reason I created the blog was to channel all the info that was spread all over the place. I didn't really want it to be somewhere which is just "another" source, so to speak.

The fact that these forums are much busier than the other forums speaks volumes about where the community want to hold their discussions. Nuff said!

Back