Thinking about buying

N

Netko

Hello,

I would like to ask some general questions if that is allright about the Pandora

So i'm really keen on playing old games, mostly Amiga games so i'm wondering how's the emulator for it? Does it support emulating Hard drives and how well does it preform with emulating AGA games as well as just a A1200 in general? How about PS1 games? All work well?

I understand the internal hardware is quite old considering what's up there these days, so i was wondering if there was a planned hardware revision? How's the browser preformance, multi tasking and the sorts on it? Can i use it as a regular PC with fluid preformance? Don't worry i don't mean to overwork the poor thing! Just wanna know if i can have a video playing, do notes and browse the internet at the same time. But I wouldn't like to spend 500 euros (gosh!) and then hear about a better/faster/stronger one releasing a bit later.

Is there a way to get the unit easily in Croatia? Ordering from Germany sounds like a lot more expenses to have.

My last question would be if it is possible to run a Windows OS on it? Like on an SD card or of a portable Hard Drive, i'd love to be able to use all my musician programs that i'm used to on the system on the fly.

All in all i'm quite close to just opening my wallet, the Pandora sounds like an amazing piece of machinery and i just want the price to be worth it.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I would like to ask some general questions if that is allright about the Pandora
Absolutely, mate! Welcome, good to have you onboard :)
So i'm really keen on playing old games, mostly Amiga games so i'm wondering how's the emulator for it? Does it support emulating Hard drives and how well does it preform with emulating AGA games as well as just a A1200 in general? How about PS1 games? All work well?
Im sure Amiga emulators are awesome on the pandora. To be fair: I never used one, I keep a real amiga 500+ around. Here is an idea: browse repo.openpandora.org for emulators and read the comments. That will give you an idea...
PS1 emulation is nothing but perfect. All the games I tried, tekken 3, tenshu, you name it, never caused any problems.

I understand the internal hardware is quite old considering what's up there these days, so i was wondering if there was a planned hardware revision? How's the browser preformance, multi tasking and the sorts on it? Can i use it as a regular PC with fluid preformance? Don't worry i don't mean to overwork the poor thing! Just wanna know if i can have a video playing, do notes and browse the internet at the same time. But I wouldn't like to spend 500 euros (gosh!) and then hear about a better/faster/stronger one releasing a bit later.
If performance is key, you should get a 1GHZ model.I got one and yes, it does perform well. I can code, browse the interwebs, listen to internet radio, manage my pictures and transfer huge files from A to B simultaneously. And yes, my pandora can do pretty much all of the stuff my mac can.
Is there a way to get the unit easily in Croatia? Ordering from Germany sounds like a lot more expenses to have.
I dont know of any resellers in croatia. I guess your best bet is to order from michael (evil dragon) directly.
My last question would be if it is possible to run a Windows OS on it? Like on an SD card or of a portable Hard Drive, i'd love to be able to use all my musician programs that i'm used to on the system on the fly.
Windows is possible, yes. But performancewise you cant really do anything.
Canesco ported lots of musician's software. Go check the repo about that...

All in all i'm quite close to just opening my wallet, the Pandora sounds like an amazing piece of machinery and i just want the price to be worth it.
Seeing that there is no other device that can do what the pandora can, most of us believe that it's worth it :) surprise!
If you want better hardware and can wait two months longer, you should probably go for the pyra once its available.

You could also buy a used pandora for less now, play with it and figure out if it works for you and then upgrade to the pyra later.

Thank you for your time
You're totally welcome :)

KickAss, the other day I was trying to remember the name of Tenchu.  Thanks for mentioning it.

My last question would be if it is possible to run a Windows OS on it?
You are better off assuming the answer to this is no.  What Windows software are you trying to run, and if you could have windows which version(s) are you looking for? 

Hello,

Thank you for your time
Amiga and PS1 games run basically flawlessly.

Browser speed is dependent on which browser you choose. Firefox can be a bit slow. Dillo is lightning fast (but not very compatible).  Multitasking while playing audio is fine, while playing a video not so good (video can consume all of CPU).

A successor (the Dragonbox Pyra) is being developed but there are no guarantees when or if it will be released. An optimistic date is sometime in early to mid 2015.

Ordering from germany is not expensive. There are no dealers in Croatia.

Running Windows is not practically useful on Pandora.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your replies!

I have made up my mind.
I think i'll wait for the Pyra to be released and get that, i've been patient all these years i can be patient a bit more :D

Thank you again, you've been most helpful all of you!

Back