Thinking Of Getting One!

StanK

Still Fresh
Hey guys I'm thinking of getting one of these ----> :gp2x
So what do you think about yours? Is it pretty easy to operate with all the emulators and whatnot, and is the value good, will I be using it for a long time? Thanks for the help! :)

Aaahh love it, haven't regretted a second. The Value is good.
You will take it with you to the grave! Now go! Go! What are you waiting for?

Miika said:
Aaahh love it, haven't regretted a second. The Value is good.
You will take it with you to the grave! Now go! Go! What are you waiting for?
My next paycheck. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
lubidog said:
Think of the N64 roms!
:eek:

firemanbl2.jpg

I was on the fence for a long time before buying one because I'm just not that into gaming like I used to be several years ago.

But then when I got it (a couple of days ago now), I stayed up all night just playing some of the built in games. I put some music videos on it now and hooked it up to my TV, I can tell you right now you won't regret it. Lots of bang for the buck that's for sure.

Two words: portable MAME.

(Well, MAME is really an acronym, not a word, but you get the idea)

%^p

(But just think how much FASTER MAME would be on your PSP... but oh, wait, it isn't.) :lol:

StanK said:
Hey guys I'm thinking of getting one of these ----> :gp2x
So what do you think about yours? Is it pretty easy to operate with all the emulators and whatnot, and is the value good, will I be using it for a long time? Thanks for the help! :)
StanK, just be aware of the huge deadzone/throw on the joystick. It does seriously downgrade the experience (could be a real del breaker for some). As fantastic as Mame is, it sucks when the controls work against you. And replacing the cap doesn't always make much of a difference. Quality emulation is nothing without control.

Other than that, it's a fun device. Movies work well, mp3 play back is at best functional, but not perfect (don't sell the ipod ;) ). Don't use the supplied headphones - they suck noodles!!! Relatively comfortable in the hand, but the four buttons are a touch too close to each other, but not a major issue. Build quality is pretty good, not PSP good. But it feels like it could handle the rigors of being used a portable device (being carried in a bag, etc....

Make sure you check the GP2X wiki with regard to compatible SDHC (4GB+ SD cards). If you buy from Craigix, he supplied SD cards that work perfectly - a tad slow but do the job well.

Final point - Make sure you get some good quality (2700 minimum) recharable batteries, and a good charger - ya gonna need 'em.

Final, final point - Get some Bengay, your left thumb is gonna need it!!!!!

Yes, there is a bit of deadzone with the joystick. In regards to mame however, I've used gamepads and even the X-arcade controller for PC and each game is different. Get the contoller sensitivity and options right for one game, it's unplayable on another.

As for the 4gb, I need a working one if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm new to the gp2x scene so forgive me if this is common knowledge.

poodle said:
Yes, there is a bit of deadzone with the joystick. In regards to mame however, I've used gamepads and even the X-arcade controller for PC and each game is different. Get the contoller sensitivity and options right for one game, it's unplayable on another.

As for the 4gb, I need a working one if someone could point me in the right direction. I'm new to the gp2x scene so forgive me if this is common knowledge.
www.gbax.com - craigix' store - £39.99

tdp said:
poodle said:

Is that site down? It doesn't come up for me.

poodle said:
tdp said:
poodle said:

Is that site down? It doesn't come up for me.

Sorry - my bad. www.gp2x.co.uk - it's down for me too at the mpment. Maybe site maintence. He's probably adding info about the 2007 comp results.

Back