Thinking Of Selling Up - Talk Me Out Of It?

Damn it! Where was that quote from? I've heard it several times, I know it! But WHERE?!

EDIT: Aaaaah! I've not seen Casablanca, but I -have- seen the Red Dwarf episode where Kryten falls in love with the chameleonic blob.

Magnulus posted on Jul 27 2006 at 12:36 PM said:
Damn it! Where was that quote from? I've heard it several times, I know it! But WHERE?!

EDIT: Aaaaah! I've not seen Casablanca, but I -have- seen the Red Dwarf episode where Kryten falls in love with the chameleonic blob.

I'd seen it before Red Dwarf, which made it even funnier but my favourite quote was
It’s the old, old story. Droid meets Droid, Droid becomes Chameleon, Droid looses Chameleon, Chameleon turns into Blob, Droid gets Blob back again, Blob meets Blob, Blob goes off with Blob, and Droid looses Blob, Chameleon and droid. How many times have we seen that story.
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC posted on Jul 26 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
clok posted on Jul 26 2006 at 04:34 PM said:
. I grew up when the FUN factor far outwieghed the "look" of the game. Now dont get me wrong, a great looking game can be (and often is) fun. But nowdays it seems the physics engine, the way a window breaks, how the blood spurts, how many "adult" words you can say all comes before the actual gameplay (of the the next 50 games comming out for the 360 40 are FPS, how stagnent is that?).
Clok

Well when you are making 3D games the first person view is very popular because it immerses you in the game like "you are there" Saying that they are "stagnant" isn't really accurate. Just because they are played from the same viewpoint doesn't make them all the same game wise. Halo, Oblivion, and Condemned are all very different even though they are first person. Saying that "FPS" are all stagnant is like saying Megadrive, SNES, PC-Engine games are stagnant because they are mostly all 2D side scrollers.

I do generalize a bit to much to make a point, and I totally agree with you to a degree. I think the success of HALO and the success of FPS on the PC has flooded the market with that type of game. A good game is a good game no matter if its something we have seen before or not. It just 'appears" we are getting far to many Guy/Girl with Gun/lazer shooting Robots/zombies/aliens with spots that need Stealth/jumping/button pushing. there have been some very cool ideas to come out in the past few years. Katamari (not my cup of tea, but original idea), as for FPS type games there are some intereting ones too. I just got Condemend (you mentioned it) and its one of the creepier feeling games I have played in a long time. and Oblivion, well there is the best argument against me. its a tried and true gameplay with some of the best graphics around. I'm just wishing somebody wouldnt just try something different. As sombody who has tried his hand at develpment of a game (on a very small crude scale) I do Know new ideas are about as easy as winning the lotto. But I also know they are out there and we are not seeing um becuase alot of game companies want the tried and true.

Clok

clok posted on Jul 27 2006 at 05:02 PM said:
I do generalize a bit to much to make a point, and I totally agree with you to a degree. I think the success of HALO and the success of FPS on the PC has flooded the market with that type of game. A good game is a good game no matter if its something we have seen before or not. It just 'appears" we are getting far to many Guy/Girl with Gun/lazer shooting Robots/zombies/aliens with spots that need Stealth/jumping/button pushing. there have been some very cool ideas to come out in the past few years. Katamari (not my cup of tea, but original idea), as for FPS type games there are some intereting ones too. I just got Condemend (you mentioned it) and its one of the creepier feeling games I have played in a long time. and Oblivion, well there is the best argument against me. its a tried and true gameplay with some of the best graphics around. I'm just wishing somebody wouldnt just try something different. As sombody who has tried his hand at develpment of a game (on a very small crude scale) I do Know new ideas are about as easy as winning the lotto. But I also know they are out there and we are not seeing um becuase alot of game companies want the tried and true.

Clok

It is easy for people to generalize but they seem to do it on the wrong thing. I remember in the era of the N64, PSX etc people started to revolt against first person perspective games. Everytime one was released no matter what it was they always said "yet another doom clone" just because of the perspective. They then proceeded to jiz all over themselves when the next fighting game would come out . Even though there were many more fighting games comming out I never heard them say "yet another Street fighter clone". Then to counter the "too many FPSs" argument they made games that forced awkward 3RD person perspective views with terrible camera angles and dodgy controls. There weren't really any new ideas just a new perspective that was way worse and ruined the immersion and gameplay. Now you were a cameraman controlling the camera and a "radio controlled origami doll" instead of being immersed in the environment.

There can be plenty of ideas for new games first person or not. It just takes alot of time to design. It is the fault of game designers not the perspective.

You GUYS! Waaaay too much time on your hands.

I asked if I was making a mistake because per-HAPS there was something big coming that I might miss out on. The first poster pretty much answered that question, hence I've not been back to even post here. I decided that in retrospect the console wasn't really for me, much as it's a powerful and impressive machine. As such I sold it to someone who will make much better use of it.

Had I come here and seen what a bunch of angry, melodramatic and frankly intolerant buffoons were posting replies, I'd have had giggle at you all a lot sooner.

daclassicgamingmaster or whatever your name is - I did in fact click your link. I was very grateful for your replies and if I remember correctly, you PM-d ME offering all sorts of dodgy links for torrent sites on the back of a question I had asked in the New To GP2X forum, or something similar. I did plenty of searches here, but the specific answers to my questions about ROMs and NeoGeo specifically weren't being answered at the time, and you did a great job of helping me out on the 3 or 4 PMs we exchanged. The only reason you didn't get the cash is, I presume, because in the end I made the purchase via a PC at work, several weeks later, and not the Mac I was using at home. I'm very sorry. Shall I hand you your dummy back? I think you spat it out the pram...

Furthermore, how I could have contributed to this community when I'm not in any way a coder is beyond me. I wasn't deep enough into it to be able to answer any questions, on here, either. How you're going to get new people buying the machine to play games on when your attitude to newcomers is so intolerant, I do not know.

Anyway, enjoyed it while I had it. Just thought it was better off in a more frequent users hands. Cheers to all those who didn't misinterpret my post, and who aren't angry and intolerant.

owen-b posted on Jul 28 2006 at 03:12 PM said:

I asked if I was making a mistake because per-HAPS there was something big coming that I might miss out on. The first poster pretty much answered that question, hence I've not been back to even post here. I decided that in retrospect the console wasn't really for me, much as it's a powerful and impressive machine. As such I sold it to someone who will make much better use of it.

Had I come here and seen what a bunch of angry, melodramatic and frankly intolerant buffoons were posting replies, I'd have had giggle at you all a lot sooner.

daclassicgamingmaster or whatever your name is - I did in fact click your link. I was very grateful for your replies and if I remember correctly, you PM-d ME offering all sorts of dodgy links for torrent sites on the back of a question I had asked in the New To GP2X forum, or something similar. I did plenty of searches here, but the specific answers to my questions about ROMs and NeoGeo specifically weren't being answered at the time, and you did a great job of helping me out on the 3 or 4 PMs we exchanged. The only reason you didn't get the cash is, I presume, because in the end I made the purchase via a PC at work, several weeks later, and not the Mac I was using at home. I'm very sorry. Shall I hand you your dummy back? I think you spat it out the pram...

Furthermore, how I could have contributed to this community when I'm not in any way a coder is beyond me. I wasn't deep enough into it to be able to answer any questions, on here, either. How you're going to get new people buying the machine to play games on when your attitude to newcomers is so intolerant, I do not know.

Anyway, enjoyed it while I had it. Just thought it was better off in a more frequent users hands. Cheers to all those who didn't misinterpret my post, and who aren't angry and intolerant.

I agree with the..........

what a bunch of angry, melodramatic and frankly intolerant buffoons were posting replies

You'll get alot of that here.

anyways..... I like the gp2x. It's a really cool system, but has some problems. If might not be for everyone, but too me it's just another system thats in my collection forever :)

with my gp32 of course ;)

Good luck with whatever the future holds for you :)

owen-b posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:12 AM said:
The thread wandered off topic but your response here is a lot more insulting and intolerant than the answers to your post aimed at you, most of which were sincere efforts to help you answer your question, for which you do not appear the slightest bit grateful. Perhaps you think it is fun to post a question, ignore people's attempts to help you, then call people names, but it makes your proclamations rather hypocritical.

I believe I will adopt a new policy -- never answer somebody asking for help on anything except a very specific easily answered issue. It rarely pays off.

Bloodsack posted on Jul 28 2006 at 08:43 AM said:
I believe I will adopt a new policy -- never answer somebody asking for help on anything except a very specific easily answered issue. It rarely pays off.

Then I really see no need for a help board then.
No, there are plenty of easily answerable specific questions. And there are other people who may be more willing than I to be insulted by the people they are taking the time to try to help.

Dzz posted on Jul 29 2006 at 12:35 AM said:

Does this mean no more posts that I can't understand? :(

Back