Thinking Of Getting A Gp2x - Is It Too Much Hassle, And What Does It P

Athlon

Still Fresh
Howdy !!

am seriously thinking of getting one of these little beasts, but i have read its a bit hit and miss, as in the emulators play some games and not others, and some without sound etc, and some of it is a pig to setup (not worried about that, i like many of you, work in th IT industry) but i just need a bit of convincing as to what it wont and will acctually play !

here is the kind of stuff i was hoping to run on it

Neo Geo : Will it play ALL Neo Geo titles, or just some of them? if so, which ones?

C64 : It should imagine it pretty much has this covered

SNES and Megadrive : Same as Neo Geo i suppose !!

MAME : I still love playing all the 80's favourites, Nemesis, R-Type you know the kind of thing

Amiga : Alien Breed Rawks !!

so if anyone can post a potted, concise ye or nay to any of this, then i might just be getting one

To the best of my knowledge it has all your bases covered, with the following caveats:
  • SNES is not yet perfect. Transparancy is still tricky and framerates aren't astronomical.
  • MAME is amazing, but only supports up to 0.36 iirc. That should be plenty enough for your old school arcade fix though.
Everything else is just dandy, but don't take my word for it, each emulator has at least one thread around here detailing its progress and WarmFluffyUK made a cool compatability site. If you spend a couple of hours scouting these boards you'll find really detailed answers to all of your questions.

p.s. this thread should be stickied ;)

Athlon posted on May 17 2006 at 12:42 PM said:
MAME : I still love playing all the 80's favourites, Nemesis, R-Type you know the kind of thing

nope. MAME doesn't run R-Type, or OutRun or Space Harrier (some of my faves). i think. if I'm wrong here, someone tell me and I'd be a very happy man! because they were all added in a newer mame version, and gp2x mame is based on v0.34 plus a few extras from 0.35. its a shame, but... there are other good versions of R-Type (and the other games) you CAN run on the gp2x, like the C64 or PC-Engine.

The megadrive version of Space Harrier II and Out Run are both pretty good, and the emulator (DrMD) for these absolutely kicks ass - its the best emu on the system. except maybe the Atari-ST... hmmm, or the C64....or maybe the NeoGeo, (but that one can be a pig to setup)

basically you're spoilt for choice, but there are always complications :)

Last edited by a moderator:
C64 was the first computer I actually owned. Vice runs all the stuff I want to use just fine, although I have found a couple of images that don't seem to work. There are a few C64 games that are still worth playing IMO, indeed there are some that have not yet been surpassed.

As for the wider question of getting a GP2X: I don't regret it. It's an Amiga/C64/ST/whatever in your pocket, it runs Linux, and it's open, so you don't have to depend on commercial software.

Back