Third Party Psp Car Charger

Rygiz

Still Fresh
Okay, I searched and there was mention that a car charger for a PSP should work fine. I was at The Source the other day, and they had a third party one by Sector 7 on clearance for 3 bucks so I picked it up just in case.

Aside from the potential in product being low quality (I know nothing about Sector 7), this should work okay with the Pandora eh?

IN: DC 12V
OUT: DC 5V 2000mA

Wasn't there somewheres that the Pandora was 3000mA or something?

Can't find a link to the product, sorry!

Thanks,
Ryg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it should work. The 2000mA means the speed it charges at; in this case the electricity flowing trough is at 10W.

The only important thing is that it charges at 5V.

3rd party chargers won't work in most cases - we bought up about 6 of these and they were all total shit.

Dangerous, cheap and shit.

I'm sure Michael can give you more details and photos of just how bad these things are.

'craigix' said:
3rd party chargers won't work in most cases - we bought up about 6 of these and they were all total shit.

Dangerous, cheap and shit.

I'm sure Michael can give you more details and photos of just how bad these things are.
Sorry wouldn't you mind to specify a little further? Why should something be a total shit just because is 3rd party? I mean, you really tried out 6 different 3rd parties charger and none of those was decent? If this is the case, I feel like it is a little prejudice... :p

EDIT: BTW: looking forward for Michael's response :D

Yes, stick to name brand adapters from someone you trust. We tested some cheap Chinese PSP adapter knock offs to see what we would get and they are a nightmare. Some of them have no internal fusing which is why people end up with house fires and burnt up equipment. There's no way they actually passed any UL testing with the crummy designs I have seen.

Some of them have such terrible regulation, the voltage jumps all over the place under moderate load from the Pandora. I couldn't even imagine turning on Wifi and pulling 500mA from the USB host port at the same time.

5V @ 2A is all you will ever need from an adapter because the Pandora circuitry won't allow more than that to be drawn (actually 1.8A).

They're especially bad if you order them off of amazon or ebay. Usually if you get them online they seem to be poorly made by an amateur.

We need to have a sticky or some major notice saying if you use one of these and you blow up your Pandora it's your own fault, there is some serious shit out there and the CE marks are fake.

'kattle87' said:
Sorry wouldn't you mind to specify a little further? Why should something be a total shit just because is 3rd party? I mean, you really tried out 6 different 3rd parties charger and none of those was decent? If this is the case, I feel like it is a little prejudice... :p
You don't have to buy one specific adapter, but it should be from a reputable company that will back their stuff up. I imagine Craig will carry accessories that we test to be good and they won't be proprietary because we aren't making our own power supplies. There's too much cost in that.

Oh, another problem with these adapters is that the voltage fluctuated so badly that I couldn't even get Linux to boot all the way. The TI chipset expects a level of quality from the power it receives and it might be rejecting the input. It's no surprise. If you buy a Motorola charger for a Motorola phone, you know they will make sure the ripple and regulation is proper. The same goes for Pandora.

'kattle87' said:
Why should something be a total shit just because is 3rd party? I mean, you really tried out 6 different 3rd parties charger and none of those was decent? If this is the case, I feel like it is a little prejudice...
You misunderstand. We're not referring to anything not sold by OpenPandora as "3rd party shit". We're referring specifically to generic, no-name Chinese adapters as "3rd party shit".

An original Sony adapter should be fine. There are probably aftermarket adapters from decent companies like Belkin or Pelican that don't completely suck, but we haven't had a chance to test them yet.

Since you're already here, what about charging the batteries? Any cautions we need to take to maximize life, like on cell phones?

Oooo, I made a good post, such a high concentration of big wigs! :p

Thanks for the suggestions, and I will keep this in mind. I got it from The Source (ex-radio shack as I'm sure at least Michael knows) and they tend to sell reasonably decent stuff, through my experience anyways. Perhaps I aught to hook it into a meter and test the values, pop it open and check for a fuse and other junk, and recheck again!

As I was comming back to check this thread I was also thinking that we should have some sort of disclaimer involving such things, as Craig mentioned. It would limit threads like this, and perhaps be more informative that just a FAQ.

I am also very interested in the battery life preservance.

Thanks,
Ryg

'craigix' said:
We need to have a sticky or some major notice saying if you use one of these and you blow up your Pandora it's your own fault
Is it possible at all to include a leaflet with the unit itself warning of this, or is that not feasible for some reason I might not be foreseeing?

there is some serious shit out there and the CE marks are fake.

Like this?
CODE
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/acadapter.html

On the underside, an apparently damaged track has been wired across, however further inspection reveals that the track cut is intentional, as without it, the input fuse would be bypassed..!

2q80xev.jpg

Opening it up reveals a rather smaller PSU board than expected, plus a bundle of metal strips whose sole purpose is to add weight. Withou these the unit feels very light and 'cheap'...

2a8kuiv.jpg

Although the mains connector is 3-pin, the earth pin is unconnected.

Like this?
CODE

:blink:

Now that's scary !

'marshal' said:

Like this?
CODE
:blink:

Now that's scary !

Yes, it is. I know I'm going to be even more wary of cheap electronics now.

'MWeston' said:
You don't have to buy one specific adapter, but it should be from a reputable company that will back their stuff up. I imagine Craig will carry accessories that we test to be good and they won't be proprietary because we aren't making our own power supplies. There's too much cost in that.

Oh, another problem with these adapters is that the voltage fluctuated so badly that I couldn't even get Linux to boot all the way. The TI chipset expects a level of quality from the power it receives and it might be rejecting the input. It's no surprise. If you buy a Motorola charger for a Motorola phone, you know they will make sure the ripple and regulation is proper. The same goes for Pandora.
Sorry for my misunderstanding! In fact I asked since I was a little surprised to be hearing something like that from Craig. Now if you tell me you tried out just some chinese "low quality", I can see what you meant at the beginning.

On the dangers of fake AC adapters.

I think I'm just going to charge my Pandora with the USB car adapter I have here. (Related questions: is 500ma enough to run the Pandora off of? Does the Pandora support the USB Battery Charging Specification, which allows for up to 1.5 amps?)

MWeston said:
Would it be viable to make a little box with a plug, jack, and voltage regulator to make these things safer and more tolerable for the Pandora, if not for the surrounding flammable objects?

'Mithrildor' said:
Anyone knows iif this one is of good quality: Qware AC Power Adapter PSP? I dont want to spend 30 euro, just so I can buy a 30 euro charger.
search on DX for some chargers with good reviews;) you wont lose more then 5 euro.

Back