Third Party Psp Car Charger

'borgqueenx' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
Anyone knows iif this one is of good quality: Qware AC Power Adapter PSP? I dont want to spend 30 euro, just so I can buy a 30 euro charger.
search on DX for some chargers with good reviews;) you wont lose more then 5 euro.

Go to a place that sells only chinese adapters when you want to get something that isn't a cheap chinese adapter? That sounds counterproductive.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
'borgqueenx' said:
search on DX for some chargers with good reviews;) you wont lose more then 5 euro.
Those are exactly the adapters that won't work. Sometimes all you need is cheap crap, and for those times, Dealextreme is great. This isn't one of those times.

Those cheapo PSP chargers probably work fine for the PSP because the PSP probably never actually pulls that much current at any one time and may have additional filtering and regulation circuitry to compensate for a "dirty" supply. Use the PS supplied with the Pandora or an original Sony, or wait until we find something else that we know will work.

Thinking of things I already have around...

As far as I can tell reading the forums, the Pandora -can- charge via USB, just not quickly. If a Pandora is plugged into a full 500mA USB port or USB charge adapter, AND the Pandora is on and running in at max operating draw, will it in that situation charge, maintain or discharge the battery?

Would a USB car charger cable for a BlackBerry work for charge maintenance while traveling with the Pandora on?

I.e. can it draw enough juice through this cable that I can buy off the shelf at any Cell Phone or Buy More type store that it can run 8 hours straight without appreciably loosing charge?

The first key to my question is in car 'operation' not 'speed charging' cable to keep the tunes and GPS software going while on road trips. The second is a highly availability quality adapter.

Thanks!

'Grench' said:
As far as I can tell reading the forums, the Pandora -can- charge via USB, just not quickly. If a Pandora is plugged into a full 500mA USB port or USB charge adapter, AND the Pandora is on and running in at max operating draw, will it in that situation charge, maintain or discharge the battery?
Doing the math, a 4000 mAh battery will take about 8 hours to charge at 500 mA. Similarly, the Pandora discharges at full load in a little over 8 hours (8.5 or so), ergo, at full load, charging via USB, it should approximately maintain it's charge, maybe charge very slowly. That's just a simple leap of logic though, the reality could be way different.

I got a USB > PSP adapter off DX for charging, and it seems to work ok, we'll see how it works with the Pandora. I got it because it had leads for DS as well, so I could use one cable for both and not have to swap them around.

'borgqueenx' said:
'Mithrildor' said:
Anyone knows iif this one is of good quality: Qware AC Power Adapter PSP? I dont want to spend 30 euro, just so I can buy a 30 euro charger.

you're not very bright are you :rolleyes:

'gibberish' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
'Mithrildor' said:

you're not very bright are you :rolleyes:

I think I just figured it out. Borgqueenx, tell me if I'm misinterpretting.
I think the idea is that if you get the best one off DX for 5 euros and it turns out to be crap, at the worst you're only out 5 euros, right? Is that what you're saying?
The problem is that a crap charger isn't just a problem with the charger. If it starts putting out bad voltages, you risk killing the device that it's attached to, not to mention risks of fire and capacitor explosion. If you get a cheap charger, you'd better be prepared either for a lot of work in making sure it's safe, or the risk of death and destruction.

dx sells everything cheap. if you watch the reviews and forum of a product, you'l know if its good quality or not. DX sells crap, but also quality goods. they sell everything they can. there is really soem garbage on that site like a balpen with builded in 4gb memory with camera and voice recorder.

I think USB > Pandora chargers should have no problems since you are just sending 5 volts to 5 volts and not using a transformer or any type of circuitry to change the volts/amps.

Umm.... about recharger...
am I correct that pandora will not contain charger with it?
and i can only charge pandora through my pc???

'GuchaRU' said:
Last I heard, we should be getting a charger for the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

'God Ginrai' said:
'GuchaRU' said:

-God Ginrai

We are getting usb cable that can be used as charger as well I think, I just grabbed the one from DX because it has leads for DS/PSP and I can use it for both.

'cbox' said:
'God Ginrai' said:
'GuchaRU' said:

-God Ginrai

We are getting usb cable that can be used as charger as well I think, I just grabbed the one from DX because it has leads for DS/PSP and I can use it for both.

I know that they changed to that at one point, but I thought that they changed back because everyone started complaining. Plus, this post where Chip says to use the PS supplied with the Pandora seems to help my case.

'Chip' said:
Use the PS supplied with the Pandora or an original Sony, or wait until we find something else that we know will work.
-God Ginrai

Your Pandora will still come with a plug-into-the-wall AC adapter.

Remember this post?
'MWeston' said:
We tested some cheap Chinese PSP adapter knock offs to see what we would get and they are a nightmare. Some of them have no internal fusing which is why people end up with house fires and burnt up equipment. There's no way they actually passed any UL testing with the crummy designs I have seen.

The reason we're testing adapters is because we're still shopping around for one to include with the Pandora. We're testing them instead of buying whatever is cheapest because, as you can see, most of the cheap ones are garbage. We do have our eye on one that is of sufficient quality, but we're still on the lookout.

I'll just pick up a spare psp ac adapter. As with building computers the one place you do not skimp on is the power supply(or in this case charger). Cheap power supply's/charger's can cost you MORE then the price of a decent or good one in the long run through fried components or in the worst case house fires.

'Mithrildor' said:
But chip, will the Pandora come with a USB charging and data cable?
I remember reading the package contents somewhere. It included a USB cable.

Back