This could be one to watch

I thought we were talking about how to be that for others.

Just point them towards https://senpai.gg/

You better watch it, both of you.

BTW I ordered one. About 90 $ delivered to .de. Payment took a few days to go through but it did work via paypal.
Edit: Dollars, not Euros

Last edited:
It arrived yesterday
P1010007.png
Today, on Jednesday, the temperature is 20 °C above normal. The battery indicator has been going back and forth between zero and one bars for the last day or so. Rubber band is comfy. Low weight, easy to forget you're wearing it. Readability of the larger fonts, especially time, is great. It's lying 1,5 meters in front of me under a monitor, in semi darkness, and it's perfectly fine. This is my first contact with e-paper.

Last edited:
Mine arrived earlier late last week. I haven't had a chance to use it much, although I did upload and test a few of the example sketches.
IMG_20210804_2144268.jpg

It's quite a cool toy - not sure I'll actually use it as a watch, although perhaps on odd occasions - the plastic case was too fragile in my experience - pulled itself apart when I plugged / unplugged the cable (I almost lost the buttons a couple of times).

The aluminium case is definitely better, although slightly bulky to use as a watch it does look really good. They did warn about potential damage to the screen if the screws are overtightened which was slightly disconcerting (which I only read after putting it together), but luckily I didn't have that problem.

Think I also need to get an updated version of the software, as the options weren't quite working correctly, and if I choose any option in the menu, I'd end up stuck and have to re-flash it, or unplug / replug the battery to reset it.

I've been using it a bit more, and starting to love it. It does work surprisingly well as watch, and even if the metal case is heavier, I forget I'm wearing it.

Also tried quite a few different face designs, and tempted to make my own (perhaps a Pyra logo theme one with a "countdown to delivery, 2 months" motif.

Incidentally, @kuru, do you know if your cancel button is functioning correctly? I'm not sure if it's hardware, firmware or software related, but the top-left button doesn't appear to do anything...

The metal case looks much better
I've been using it a bit more, and starting to love it. It does work surprisingly well as watch, and even if the metal case is heavier, I forget I'm wearing it.

Also tried quite a few different face designs, and tempted to make my own (perhaps a Pyra logo theme one with a "countdown to delivery, 2 months" motif.

Incidentally, @kuru, do you know if your cancel button is functioning correctly? I'm not sure if it's hardware, firmware or software related, but the top-left button doesn't appear to do anything...
It's weird. Buttons seem to have either a lag or require more pressure than anticipated. Especially the back button I have to press more often/vigorously than the other ones. I don't know how to tell if my button presses were bad due to timing or what.

I really enjoy the clear readability of the epaper. It's the big thing I'm taking away from this purchase. Got that great screen tech and a watch that doesn't tick.

And I hate myself for not checking whether this thing has both a simple piezo buzzer and an SD card slot. Missing features and all that.

It's weird. Buttons seem to have either a lag or require more pressure than anticipated. Especially the back button I have to press more often/vigorously than the other ones. I don't know how to tell if my button presses were bad due to timing or what.
Apparently it's not entirely uncommon an issue:

I've since realised that mine works, but it also just takes more force than I would expect. There is a timing issue too, which is related to how the screen refreshes, so not sure how solvable that is, but at least that's something I could get used to.

I really enjoy the clear readability of the epaper. It's the big thing I'm taking away from this purchase.
The first time I saw an e-ink screen, I thought it was like magic. It's an amazing technology, I think, and ideal for something small and low-powered like this.

I've just watched a video of this updating the screen when the time changes. It really is a slick little screen, and seems to be able to change the entire screen in less than 15ms I timed it to, and it doesn't even do the old black to white and back again thing older screens felt the need to do. I guess full video on this might be a stretch though, and probably wouldn't be usable given the battery life of this thing, but it might be nice to try out.

I assume it can update just parts of the screen. It's easier to see when looking at the accelerometer demo. But going from watch face to the menu and back it does the color inversion thing you mentioned.

Oh it does? That must be in order to make sure the pixels are in a known good state. But when you plug it in and load a new watch face it just goes bam and the new face is there. I did my timing by slowing down the video and estimating the it took less than two frames to change the minute digit when the time ticks over. I didn't slow the video down to check on the changing of the clock face, but it certainly didn't do the black-white thing.

Back