This is a longshot, but... anime thread?

I have such stupid trouble keeping up with anime, but JJBA part six has an announcement on August 8th, which people say probably includes its release date. JJBA parts one through five are the most episodes of an anime that I've watched, though I admit I didn't follow any of them as they were airing. I tried for a while with parts four and five, but couldn't really handle it, so I just caught up later.

That JoJo announcement on August 8th is in seven hours now, apparently. Actually the 7th in my time zone.

Edit: That feeling when you just had your evening Klonopin, but have to stay up seven more hours for a JoJo announcement. Oh man.

Last edited:
Edit: That feeling when you just had your evening Klonopin, but have to stay up seven more hours for a JoJo announcement. Oh man.
I get it, and I'm glad you have things you are passionate about. Keep it up, just 5 more hours.

Reactions: rSl
I’ve kind of developed a fear of all media, anime included. It’s even worse with video games, but I came to this thread because I want to subscribe to Crunchy or Funi right now and just binge, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I also have a fear specifically of old anime, but whereas before I would’ve considered ten years to be old, I now consider everything before COVID-19 hit to be old.

I now consider everything before COVID-19 hit to be old.
Like this one? (G-Force / Battle of the Planets / Gatchaman)

It's about kidnapped orphans, that have been experimented upon, with inserted implants (almost at birth), against their will. Then get indoctrinated to guard a precious resource that their bosses are hogging and to kill anything that tries to get some of that unique resource (a new type of manure)

Last edited:
Hey guys, I watched three more episodes of To Your Eternity earlier. I would almost be proud of myself, but most mortals would’ve went ahead and just finished the season in one sitting. As it stands, I’m halfway through. Second season has already been confirmed for Fall 2022, but since COVID-19 hit, confirmation isn’t quite as definite as it used to be.

Hey guys, I watched three more episodes of To Your Eternity earlier. I would almost be proud of myself, but most mortals would’ve went ahead and just finished the season in one sitting.
Fifteen years ago, watching more than one episode of a series a week was pretty much unheard of. Myself, I feel I need a bit of variety often, so I'll usually only watch one episode of a particular series each night at most.

Last edited:
Fifteen years ago, watching more than one episode of a series a week was pretty much unheard of. Myself, I feel I need a bit of variety often, so I'll usually only watch one episode of a particular series each night at most.
Was it? 30 years ago: Yes, for normal TV it was like that. Or using Peer2Peer with slow dialup, you could only download one chapter each 4 hours, so that limited you also to 1 a day max. But we did get together to binge watch, say, back to the future 1 2 and 3 on LP (long play VideoTape: low quality, but 6 hours of video) until the last one slept.

The term 'binge watch' itself came with the advent of streaming services that dropped entire series of new shows all at once, did it not? Back to the Future parts 1, 2, and 3 were not released simultaneously, never allowing all of them to be watched for the first time back to back. We did get on special occasions, however, "marathons" or "block parties." Where a Television Network (normal tv) might play all the (pretty old already) Back to the Future films on repeat all weak. Or all programming 'blocks' were dedicated to re-runs of a specific show for the day. Watching tapes until everyone passes out was just called a sleepover(in the States anyhow).

Anyone looking forward to the live action version of Cowboy Bebop?

marathons
yes, that was the word!
Anyone looking forward to the live action version of Cowboy Bebop?
I never really got into Cowboy Bebop, but I do recognize it as a good anime. I looked at the trailer and it's the story that works in Cowboy bebop, not the visuals per-se (although it helps to get immersed in the world itself). So it's a "we'll see" kinda thing. It's hard to translate the pace and get the humor right. Countless other live-actions felt sluggish and un-funny; mostly because the cast needs to look-similar over being a good actor. But also because an actor needs to know the source material and ADD expression to the character in order to make it feel real. So tldr: Can't tell yet.

spoilers after minute 3 (it gives a warning):

Abridged series. Take the original Anime, remove the plot, make a new plot. Add some good jokes. Put back the soundtrack and soundeffects.
Done right, you get to laugh a lot as a viewer:

Those 8 chapters were so good, they made me buy a (hopefully not so mediocre) series.

and with some lesser post production, but still funny:

My introduction with "abridged" started off with the legendary DBZ Abridged. That was done awesomely. Seems that TFS is not the only good team in town anymore. What's your fav?

I just can't watch Anime without their original dubbing, even if I can't understand jap, the original voices are like 300% more funny... there is something in japan that makes them exaggerate everything, in a natural way !!
This is so difficult to imitate from the other countries, because it have no sense !! :cool:

Last edited:
I just can't watch Anime without their original dubbing, even if I can't understand jap, the original voices are like 300% more funny... there is something in japan that makes them exaggerate everything, in a natural way !!
This is so difficult to imitate from the other countries, because it have no sense !! :cool:
I love their exclamations! Though as you almost imply*, try repeating them in other countries (in the relevant language) and people think you’ve got “problems”... :|

*I mean that you didn’t actually say or necessarily imply that but my experience of what I described fits with what you did say lol

Last edited:
But also, when in Anime, the japanese pretend to speak in english, it's impossile to understand what they say !!
Most of the time they use english words inside japanese phrases, but without subtitles I can't even recognize those words, and seems that the phrase it's entirely japanese xD
The fact that they interchange the letters "L" and "R" at random don't help at all.

Lately I have see some TV ads for japanese games, that while are dubbed in english, it's really easy to recognize the japanese pronunciation... it's so unnatural... they could have just left the original dubbing with subtitles, or maybe used some english native to do the job...

EDIT:
an example

EDIT2:

WAIT !! WTF... she's not japanese ?! (https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/Claire-Morgan/)
Why is she speaking like a child during a reading lesson ?!

Seems like I fell on Welsh accents once again... :(

Last edited:
Back