This is a longshot, but... anime thread?

Google: “It’s crazy”
Microsoft: “It’s a jarree”

What the heck’s a “jarree”?!
Some words and expressions simply do not translate well, without a deeper understanding of the language and culture.

If you watch Jojo, though, you might understand "yare yare da ze" - it's a good expression to use if people are doing daft things (without realizing it).

Some words and expressions simply do not translate well, without a deeper understanding of the language and culture.

If you watch Jojo, though, you might understand "yare yare da ze" - it's a good expression to use if people are doing daft things (without realizing it).
True that! Sounds like I need to watch Jojo!

True that! Sounds like I need to watch Jojo!
Actually, I just remembered (was reminded) that the subtitle read "Good grief", which is as good a translation as any, I think.

Incidentally, one of the newer characters says "kureezee da ze" which really is "that's crazy"

@liveunderwater : while we are at it, maybe you could help me understand one thing that I always wanted to know... there's a particular phrase that I constantly hear in Anime, and I have the "impression" it could be english, but also could be not...

The phrase (or word ??) "seems" spelled somehow "itsugò", and in the subtitles is most of the time translated as "Let's Go", but not always, sometimes other verbs with the same meaning are used, so maybe it's not just an "Engrish phrase" but maybe proper japanese that could seems english ?!

そうです "it is" + ね "don't you agree?"
That's right, wouldn't you say?
Post automatically merged:

いい加減にしろ
The reason I found it amusing is because “I agree” and “let’s see” aren’t really the same thing xD (With the latter, you’re not agreeing with the other person, yet; you may or may not agree with them whenever in the future it is that you “see”)

@liveunderwater : while we are at it, maybe you could help me understand one thing that I always wanted to know... there's a particular phrase that I constantly hear in Anime, and I have the "impression" it could be english, but also could be not...

The phrase (or word ??) "seems" spelled somehow "itsugò", and in the subtitles is most of the time translated as "Let's Go", but not always, sometimes other verbs with the same meaning are used, so maybe it's not just an "Engrish phrase" but maybe proper japanese that could seems english ?!
English. A very good example of why Japanese don't hear properly spoken English. It has to fit into the limited amount of sounds available to them natively.
In katakana its probaly this: レッツゴー! RETTSUGO-!

The reason I found it amusing is because “I agree” and “let’s see” aren’t really the same thing xD (With the latter, you’re not agreeing with the other person, yet; you may or may not agree with them whenever in the future it is that you “see”)
Google translate is pretty bad at Japanese, I haven't tried Microsoft but it sounds like it isn't much better. I mostly use Deepl.

It could be this, I'll try to listen more carefully the next time it happens, but the more I pronounce it and the more it feels like it
I've seen it used by natives cheering for sports teams(on HelloTalk), seen it in anime, manga, and video games... written in katakana like this レッツゴー.

itsugou is romaji, the last place you want to be looking for the way a Japanese word is pronounced.

I somehow already knew about that, a lot of years ago I used a katakana translation table to help me play all the Dragonball RPG games from NES to SNES... I was lucky that most of the story was related to the comic book, but some parts were really tricky to understand :D
There was in particular one of the games where I was flying without directions in the map and I didn't know what to do, but some people scattered around were telling phrases really similar to each other, except for some different or repeated phonograms... I wasn't able at the time to find a translation for many of those words, but at some point one of them turned out to be "North", and the repeated one was "More"... so some of them were telling "More North" or "More More North", so after getting that I was able to identify what where the directional words in the phrases of the other people, and the "Less" word, and I was able to find the spot in the map where the game was meant to continue... it was epic !! :cool:

Last edited:
Back