This is annoying

phpbb works fine and looks great and there are a lot of sites using it. I always prefer any open solution - feels like accepting defeat to go with a proprietary solution because it is cheaper or easier. Isn't that the reason as well for not choosing Android, but Linux for Pyra and Pandora?
The lemon phpbb boards are mainly administrated by some technical mods. The administrator is rarely present as far as I can tell so it seems like tasks are delegated without any costs. Maybe ask how they do it?
As mentioned, phpBB is still missing a lot of things I'd like to have.
I can't easily integrate a normal website into the forum and use that as main software.

Also, I'm not sure it would help having someone else take care of the technical stuff of the forums.

Remember I was looking for a team to create the new website for the Pyra with all that in mind?
We found some members that wanted to do that over 1,5 years ago, some wanted to handle everything, form the team, discuss about the things with me and organize everything himself from there on.

I set up everything that was needed. A GIT, a sample IPB installation, etc.

I don't think there has even been written a single line of code.

It's sad, but letting the community handle something like that didn't really work.

From our point of view, phpBB is good enough. And we have used it. Xenforo is new way of doing something old, and proprietary.
Why not pay someone to figure out the phpBB issue with UTF-8 conversion and see if that fixes something?
Ill gladly fork out some monies for the pleasure of not using IPB or some other proprietary and/or junk solution.
Be it for that or making a migration tool from IPB4 to whatever is needed.

You gave the job of sorting out the site to someone nobody has heard about, and nobody has heard from since.

I made a mockup that time. Dont shoot everyone down because the guy in charge goes MIA.

I think a test-and-see instance of discourse could give some calming hands-on to concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
From our point of view, phpBB is good enough. And we have used it. Xenforo is new way of doing something old, and proprietary.
Why not pay someone to figure out the phpBB issue with UTF-8 conversion and see if that fixes something?
Ill gladly fork out some monies for the pleasure of not using IPB or some other proprietary and/or junk solution.
Be it for that or making a migration tool from IPB4 to whatever is needed.

You gave the job of sorting out the site to someone nobody has heard about, and nobody has heard from since.

I made a mockup that time. Dont shoot everyone down because the guy in charge goes MIA.

I think a test-and-see instance of discourse could give some calming hands-on to concern.

UTF-8 conversion wouldn't be needed if we make a new forum here, it was just an example of problems you can run into and you need to pay someone to fix it unless you find the time yourself.
If someone wants to provide me 24/7 support (as it is with XenForo and IPB) for 40 USD per year, I'd hire him right away.
Almost every second extension doesn't work out of the box without hacking some other parts, and whenever you hack other parts, you'll have issues with upgrades.

However, the first thing that would be needed for ANY forum software is an importer from IPB4.
Both Discourse and phpbb seem to be lacking a converter, so we can't use them for now.
Additionally, as long as Discourse and phpbb don't offer the features I plan to use, they are no acceptable candidates either.

Mockups for websites won't help much, as the technical stuff needs to be working first, then you can create a layout and theme based on that.
And the website forum is still open here on the boards, no one seems to want to take care of that.

Ubuntu sucks, interpreted languages suck, third party repos suck, in-app repos suck, docker sucks, bad instructions suck, users setup breaks.

Some part was his own doing, but i agree, too much.

Atleast xenforo is a little easier to migrate from, onto something else, so maybe it can be a stepping stone over to phpBB, or discourse whenever they can just produce real packages.

Hey, EvilDragon, just wondering... Is vBulletin too expensive for you to consider?  I have never heard of XenForo before, so I can't comment on its quality, but vBulletin has been a mainstay of paid forum software for quite some time and seems like a likely contender for consideration.

-God Ginrai

... Also, XenForo was actually developed by the former lead developers of vBulletin.

Before vBulletin went totally bad with v4 and v5?
To quote wikipedia:

To help with the scale of the project, two additional developers, Freddie Bingham and Mike Sullivan were brought on to help finish vBulletin 2. Kier Darby was brought on during the vBulletin 2.0 Beta phase to further development. The release of vBulletin 2 proved to be very successful and is what made vBulletin popular.

vBulletin 3.6 was released as a stable version on 3 August 2006.

On 4 July 2007 Jelsoft announced that Jelsoft had been acquired by Internet Brands, which promised significant investment in software development.[2]

In 2009, long-time developers Kier Darby, Mike Sullivan, Scott MacVicar and Jeremy Hutchings left the company. Kevin Sours, Don Kuramura, and Ray Morgan took Darby's place as lead developer, product manager, and general manager, respectively.[3]
vBulletin 4 was released 21 December 2009.
Kier Darby and  Mike Sullivan went on to found XenForo.   IB sued them in two different courts, claiming IP violations but as I understand it both cases were eventually settled and XenForo development continued.

-Neelix

Ubuntu sucks, interpreted languages suck, third party repos suck, in-app repos suck, docker sucks, bad instructions suck, users setup breaks.

Atleast xenforo is a little easier to migrate from, onto something else, so maybe it can be a stepping stone over to phpBB, or discourse whenever they can just produce real packages.

I have seen many attempted uses of phpBB.  I have yet to have seen one that wasn't hacked, cracked, vandelized and corrupted into oblivion.  Not all open source software is 'good' software.

Ubuntu sucks, interpreted languages suck, third party repos suck, in-app repos suck, docker sucks, bad instructions suck, users setup breaks.Some part was his own doing, but i agree, too much.Atleast xenforo is a little easier to migrate from, onto something else, so maybe it can be a stepping stone over to phpBB, or discourse whenever they can just produce real packages.

I have seen many attempted uses of phpBB.  I have yet to have seen one that wasn't hacked, cracked, vandelized and corrupted into oblivion.  Not all open source software is 'good' software.

This... phpBB is good if you like to be perpetual vigilant on security patches and even then you may have to go above that and implement your own changes... like renaming php variables, renaming mysql table and column names and such. It's a pain to deal with.

http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/index.php
http://forum.daedalic.de/
http://forum.gp2x.de/
http://www.sublimetext.com/forum/

Why isn't ED using free software on the forum? Why does he wear trainers? Why does he have long hair? Same answer to all of these things; because he wants to. I only say this as sometimes there seems to be this feeling of having to justify either spending money or using software which isn't open source, or whatever else, which simply isn't the case, ED is free to do whatever he likes. From my perspective which ever gives ED the easiest life is the best option! Let him concentrate on other things rather that forum software.

I'll be the first one to say that I think that open source software generally leads to better software. However, it often meanders around a lot before that happens, depending on who and how many are interested in it. In this case so far the open source software doesn't measure up to the available commercial packages. If those packages were very expensive, you might decide to go with the open source software anyway, just so you could afford it, but they're not expensive. It's quite possible that sometime in the future the best option will be an open source one. As far as I know, that's not the case yet. Ed has to do what's most practical for him. If you know of something he hasn't tried, by all means mention it. He is quite familiar with phpBB.

Don't get me wrong - I've seen some real crappy commercial software too.  Luckily enough, though, economic Darwinism eventually wins in the commercial space.

It always depends on the software and use case.
I like GIMP, but when doing professional work, it just doesn't stand a chance against Photoshop, especially when doing flyers, etc.

For CAD, FreeCAD is nice, but I wouldn't want to design something with it...
Video Editing... while kdenlive is nice, I wouldn't want to switch it with my professional video editing suite.

LibreOffice is more than enough for me. And at home, I often use Inkscape, GIMP, etc. It's useful enough for working at home, but whenever you want to use accurate colors (RAL, etc.), you often need to use commercial software.

That said, Blender is pretty much on par with most commercial 3D software packages.

Back