Release This is the kind of drawing software...

neverk

Still Fresh
...that I would like to see on Pandora.

ILoveSketch

I know this particular software isn't probably possible, but maybe something similiar.

[youtube]hSxCZE6PG50[/youtube]

ILoveSketch, a 3D curve sketching system that captures some of the affordances of pen and paper for professional designers, allowing them to iterate directly on concept 3D curve models. The system coherently integrates existing techniques of sketch-based interaction with a number of novel and enhanced features. Novel contributions of the system include automatic view rotation to improve curve sketchability, an axis widget for sketch surface selection, and implicitly inferred changes between sketching techniques. We also improve on a number of existing ideas such as a virtual sketchbook, simplified 2D and 3D view navigation, multi-stroke NURBS curve creation, and a cohesive gesture vocabulary.

ives used this on my cintiq.
its really cool, but extremely cumbersome
also, I dont think the pandoras type of touchscreen is the right kind. you need something more like a wacom or tablet pc

Makes me think of the scene in Iron Man when Tony is working with the 3d suit model.
I think that this would not be the ideal drawing software for pandora. It seems to me that rotating,zooming, panning, etc. would take up more time than the actual drawing due to the screen we work with. Also, any large object, I believe, would be far to cumbersome to work with.

A little off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread for this, but for things like this are Wacom drivers going to be supported? I have found drivers for x86 systems, but no idea if it will be possible to get drivers up for the Pandora, I was thinking for a sketchbook app my 4x5" graphire would be perfect, and it would be funny to hook up my 9x12" intuos, or even my cintiq, though the latter would be pretty pointless.

bitz said:
A little off topic, but I don't want to start a new thread for this, but for things like this are Wacom drivers going to be supported? I have found drivers for x86 systems, but no idea if it will be possible to get drivers up for the Pandora,
The linuxwacom drivers are opensource, so it's definitely possible.

I was thinking for a sketchbook app my 4x5" graphire would be perfect, and it would be funny to hook up my 9x12" intuos, or even my cintiq, though the latter would be pretty pointless.
Does the cintiq have s-video input? PAL-resolution on a cintiq wouldn't look very nice anyway. I think I'll keep my tablet connected to the PC, and use the touchscreen for drawing on the pandora.

PoisonedV said:
also, I dont think the pandoras type of touchscreen is the right kind. you need something more like a wacom or tablet pc
It has been stated that the Pandora screen can do some pressure detection, so I don't see why it can't work like a tablet screen.

Also, in the case of a specific program for the Pandora, the gaming controls could be used for easier moving/zooming.

The Pandora touch screen is resistive type, same as a DS. So, it should be well able to do pressure sensitivity and the like.

PoisonedV said:

Really? I didn't think it was available. Where did you get it?

The Pandora touch screen is resistive type, same as a DS. So, it should be well able to do pressure sensitivity and the like.
Really ?
So there is a chance that it works with programs that use stylet pressure under linux (GIMP ?)

I was just thinking how DBZ would be like if the anime version was drawn in that 3D way and televised in that way :3

I THINK so. GIMP would be cool for the if/when it gets ported. Again, there are others and it's been discussed before but everyone wants one so I'm sure it won't be long before we get something.

player4 said:
I THINK so. GIMP would be cool for the if/when it gets ported. Again, there are others and it's been discussed before but everyone wants one so I'm sure it won't be long before we get something.

GIMP is already in the Angstrom repository.

I would like to see something along the lines of Colors!:
http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

But it is very much a closed source project to my knowledge. Something as easy to use, specifically made for the Pandora would be ideal and I'm sure in time I will find something that works very well for me as I have low needs for a drawing application. Hope there is something for everyone soon enough, as I'm sure there will be plenty of choices in time.

Korlithiel said:
I would like to see something along the lines of Colors!:
http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/

But it is very much a closed source project to my knowledge. Something as easy to use, specifically made for the Pandora would be ideal and I'm sure in time I will find something that works very well for me as I have low needs for a drawing application. Hope there is something for everyone soon enough, as I'm sure there will be plenty of choices in time.

Colors was actually the item discussed. The developer was contacted and we came back with the answer that the DS was going to be the current focus and that he had already looked into the pandora unit.
I seem to have lost the email I got, but that is the summary that I remember. You can try searching the forums for the original topic, it was in a hardware discussion about the touchscreen.

Colors was actually the item discussed. The developer was contacted and we came back with the answer that the DS was going to be the current focus and that he had already looked into the pandora unit.
I seem to have lost the email I got, but that is the summary that I remember. You can try searching the forums for the original topic, it was in a hardware discussion about the touchscreen.

The author had also talked about being willing to help another coder if they wanted to take a stab at it

Hey Bitz,

No worries. Any suggestions are appreciated and that's a big part of what the forums are for.

We talk about new potential platforms all the time for Colors!. As I'm sure you'll agree, there is a potential for a great painting-program on almost every new platform that comes out. Personally, I'd like to see Colors! on all of those, but obviously we need to pick the ones we believe most in. Homebrew-DS was is ideal in many ways since we could get pressure-sensitivity out of it, and iPhone was chosen because it has a huge install-base and the App Store.

That being said, I've also peeked at Pandora. It looks like a great platform and I'd love to see Colors! on it. The downside is that there isn't a very big install-base on it, so I don't see myself getting one just yet. Of course, if anyone would want to do the porting, they should definitly contact me.

Hurray for possibilities! And thanks for letting me know, if I ever think my skills are up for it and I haven't heard anything I would definitely find the time to do it myself. Too bad I had trouble coding a simple hello world way back when and haven't given coding my attention since.

Thanks for getting my hopes up again, this week has been lousy as it is and I could really use the good info.

Back