This Thing Just Killed The Pandora For Me

cinicraft

Still Fresh
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834251002

PROS over the Pandora
-Runs windows applications. With that, any emulator you want. (project 64, etc...
-Much higher resolution
-60GB HDD built in
-4x moar ram :)

CONS
-no physical keyboard
-no controler (ill get a mini blu-tooth controller and it should be fine.)
-a bit bigger than the pandora, but hell, i have big ass hands.

only 200 extra bucks (I think the pandora is $300 not 100% sure)

hell of a device

EDIT 04/04/2010: well, i wasn't expecting this thread to reach so many posts and i also wasn't expecting to be ridiculed by so many people here calling me a troll. I think ill end the discussion here, sorry if this thread offended anyone.

(naw)mcx said:
A x86 device with no real physical controls.

KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT, BRO, WITH THAT TRUE PANDORA COMPETITOR.

Or the story of how you missed the point of the Pandora.

well... its worth the sacrifice for the ability to run the Windows OS.

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't seem to get the idea, you are probably much better off with that device ;)

An additional con:
- Worse battery life
- Probably no device specific community
- No optimized software

However, additional pro:
- GPS
[- Working wifi]

It might be worth considering this thing as a second device, but I wouldn't get it to replace a Pandora.

(naw)mcx said:

What he said(or she said)

A lack of physical controls for games makes it a no for me as a portable handheld.

cinicraft said:
PROS over the Pandora
-Runs windows applications. With that, any emulator you want. (project 64, etc...
lolwut?

Anyway, it's probably going to be worse off than the pandora in more ways than you foresee.
* Battery life will probably suck horribly.
* You're going to be running Windows on a low end machine. Best of luck to you; you'll need it.
* Let's get back on the battery life issue: You can't do what OMAP3 is capable of, namely power the whole thing down to a useless machine, yet still retain the ability to buffer data from the storage media, and use the built-in DSP to decode a nice stream of 100 hours of music, on one battery charge.

While an UMPC with the ability to run x86 applications is enticing, every single device I've seen out so far have paled in comparison to the pandora.

PS. 1GB of RAM is wholly unnecessary. You're only looking up at that because you're used to running Windows and watching 70% of your 1GB go to the OS

EDIT: F*CK TROLLED :(
trollercoaster.jpg

Attachments

• trollercoaster.jpg
    trollercoaster.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 100
Um, I'm not sure if you just misread the price, but $600-$330 is not $200 (but I'll concede since mine was $370 after shipping and currency exchange fees).

Using a bluetooth controller kinda defeats the purpose of having a handheld...if you have to set it down to use it, you should probably just get a laptop.

I feel like that thing would get pretty warm with the spinning hard drive and the x86 processor.

By this logic, most UMPC's would "kill" the Pandora.

Critical_Impact said:
(naw)mcx said:

What he said(or she said)

A lack of physical controls for games makes it a no for me as a portable handheld.

thats why im getting a super mini bluetooth controller.

cinicraft said:

Sounds comfortable to hold both...

Fine. Go for it. Enjoy the great non-existant community around that device, all the great titles made for it, stability, support, etc. Oh wait...

cinicraft said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834251002

PROS over the Pandora
-Much higher resolution
-60GB HDD built in
-4x moar ram :)

CONS
-no physical keyboard
-a bit bigger than the pandora, but hell, i have big ass hands.

only 200 extra bucks (I think the pandora is $300 not 100% sure)

hell of a device
+1

I'm gonna cancel my order now..

zhasha said:
cinicraft said:
PROS over the Pandora

* You're going to be running Windows on a low end machine. Best of luck to you; you'll need it.
LOL, you've used Windows, right? I run it on my stock EEE701. It's great.

PS. 1GB of RAM is wholly unnecessary. You're only looking up at that because you're used to running Windows and watching 70% of your 1GB go to the OS
lol, really no.
I run windows with 512MB on two of my machines.

probably.

It the Viliv interests you, I'd look into the Fujitsu U820. You can find it for the same price, and you get a keyboard (it is convertible so you can use it in slate mode), faster CPU, and higher-resolution screen, and it doesn't look much bigger than the S5. Battery life is great too. Everything else looks the same (60GB HDD, 1GB RAM, GPS...) I've had mine for a couple months, and I absolutely love it (I'm typing this on it right now, in fact)! :)

But no, I don't see this as a Pandora replacement (or even competitor). I'll be using my Pandora for very different things. :)

Edit: Not sure if this was just a joke... Oh well, I stand by my recommendation. :)

Alerino said:
hahahahahahaha, april's fools jokes started...
no qwerty, no gaming controls... stop it, dude, you GOT to be joking...
do you wear clown pants (with those huge pockets) also?

i was seriously considering getting a pandora, but the problem with it is, it can only run linux applications. you will rarely find a decent game ported to linux. and pretty much the latest console emulator will probably be n64. dreamcast will most likely have bad performance.

and when non-profit big gaming projects start, 99% of them are going to be vaporware (i know this from experiance from various mod groups and indepentent game groups) they promis a kickass game, release breath taking trailers, and practically abandon their projects after 4 years of development. (i can give you a massive list of canceled mods/games)

i dont see a bright future with the pandora when it comes to software

sorry if im offending anyone, but im not trolling here. trying to be as respectful as possible.

Jourdy288 said:
cinicraft said:

Sounds comfortable to hold both...

Fine. Go for it. Enjoy the great non-existant community around that device, all the great titles made for it, stability, support, etc. Oh wait...

theres no need for community support. i will run WINDOWS software thats supported by big corperations and hundreds of forums.

wermy said:
It the Viliv interests you, I'd look into the Fujitsu U820.

thanks, ill look into it. just this morning i was shocked at the new low prices of UMPCs. last time i checked the prices of these things it was an OQO and it went for $1,200 with poor specs and no touch screen.

cinicraft said:
i was seriously considering getting a pandora, but the problem with it is, it can only run linux applications. you will rarely find a decent game ported to linux. and pretty much the latest console emulator will probably be n64. dreamcast will most likely have bad performance.

and when non-profit big gaming projects start, 99% of them are going to be vaporware (i know this from experiance from various mod groups and indepentent game groups) they promis a kickass game, release breath taking trailers, and practically abandon their projects after 4 years of development. (i can give you a massive list of canceled mods/games)

sorry if im offending anyone, but im not trolling here. trying to be as respectful as possible.

So...let me see if I understand what you're saying...

You come to the global Pandora forums, talk about disadvantages which are unfounded (if you knew anything about the device and this community, you would know that most of your concerns are unfounded), and your post is littered with spelling mistakes, and you're not trolling?

cinicraft said:
Alerino said:
hahahahahahaha, april's fools jokes started...
no qwerty, no gaming controls... stop it, dude, you GOT to be joking...
do you wear clown pants (with those huge pockets) also?

You are acting as if you can run DECENT games on that device you posted earlier. I highly doubt it, or you would have to lower the settings to get anything to run properly then whats the point. If there was one device to change the opinion people have about the linux community I believe the Pandora might be it.

Derek said:
If there was one device to change the opinion people have about the linux community I believe the Pandora might be it.

And if not the Pandora, then how about the oodles of smartphones running Android, and the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi, as WebOS is Linux.

(naw)mcx said:
zhasha said:
cinicraft said:
PROS over the Pandora

LOL, you've used Windows, right? I run it on my stock EEE701. It's great.

lol, really no.
I run windows with 512MB on two of my machines.

probably.
Thanks for making it appear weird. Of course I've used Windows. In fact my netbook came with Windows XP, which seemed to BSoD 15 minutes after boot because of the ethernet driver. My point isn't that XP is bad, but as Windows XP is now at the same time difference to Windows 7 as Windows 3.11 is to XP, you should probably consider upgrading (especially since you know, MS is going to cut you off soon if they haven't already).
Now my experience with Windows 7 has generally been good, but that doesn't change that whenever I see a netbook with 1GB of RAM, running Windows 7, at least 700MB of RAM is in use, and that right after bootup. That's not necessarily bad either, as a truckload of the apps you're going to be running are Microsoft apps, and MS has a habit of preloading all their own libraries at boot in order for their own apps to appear faster/lighter than they really are. Consequentially you probably don't feel that you're running out of RAM.
For the record, Windows 7 will boot on a 512MB RAM machine, and use 350MB of RAM, but absolutely no less.

Back