GP2X Thoughts About Mplayer/gplayer

efegea

I got compiled the SVN version of mplayer, the original, not the dignsys' modified version. It has fbdev and paeryn's SDL video outputs and a lot of video codecs, like WMV9 (without sound) and quicktime sorenson.

But...IT'S SLOWWW. With pareyn's SDL is faster than framebuffer, but it's still too slow. At least with paeryn's SDL it has hardware accelerated scaling, so it shows all the videos at 320x240 without cpu cost...

Thinking about it...perhaps the 200mhz processor is not enought for playing most of the videos?

All the videos I tried run about <10fps. I got HD videos (divx and WMV9) running at 0,5fps :D But to be honest, I haven't run a true benchmark, only spare videos I had on my hard disc, of different types and resolutions.

GPH's mplayer (gplayer) uses hardware acceleration for decoding, but only MPEG4. I think they didn't added support for codecs like MPEG1 because of this, the processor isn't fatest enought for playing it. Or is it? I don't know

What do you think? What can I do to accelerate mplayer? Is the processer fatest enought? I have looked at gplayer sources but it's worse than reading the necronomicon :( WTF it doesn't have any comments, and it is completely different than original mplayer sources, can't do a diff

The HW allows decoding to be greatly accelerated, For example, on gp32, clocked at 166mhz, you could only get 25fps video at very low bitrate and not at full resolution.

sam fisher posted on Oct 23 2006 at 11:26 PM said:
The HW allows decoding to be greatly accelerated, For example, on gp32, clocked at 166mhz, you could only get 25fps video at very low bitrate and not at full resolution.
TCPMP seems to be able to get it done for pocketpc, palm etc.
http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/download

Last edited by a moderator:
Sam's right! The inbuild videoplayer shows much more smoother video! You can really notice that with real-life series/movies.. So instead that everyone is making bad software accelerated mplayer make one perfect player instead using hw decoding.. I have no idea how to code but if i did i would put some time in it to make video perfect on GP2X.

I think squidge might be working on reverse engineering the various hardware decoding capabilities, but I'm not sure. I think a 3rd party video player using it is still a ways off though.

well.. since gph choose not to demand very much from dignsys/magiceyes, they dont(atleast i dont think) have the source for the binary blob, and we dont either, so we cant very well study it and create our own things..

anyway, divx/xvid requires like 500-600mhz for dvd resolution videos with a normal decoder written in c.

You could use the hardware idct instead of using the CPU for this. this should speed up the decoding quite a bit and can be used for all mpeg-versions. The only difference between the different mpeg-versions should be the coefficient-matrix. But ... since there is no sufficient documentation about this in the MP2520F Manual (only the features are listed), i don't know how to use the hw for this :-/.
Another way could be a idct which was rewritten in asm to get the max performance. But i don't know how much speed xou could gain from this.

Back