Tilematch V0.4

Sane posted on Dec 17 2005 at 02:47 PM said:
This is by far my most played homebrew game, everyone in my house loves it. We're already having highscore competitions, I'm currently at #1 with 50440 :)
I reached level 20 a few days ago... :)

Sane posted on Dec 17 2005 at 02:47 PM said:
One minor thing I'd like to see added is a period in the high score table, I have to add a random character now after my initials.
Isn't there a SPACE character? I think there is. Edit: I've checked the code, and the answer is: no, there isn't. It will be available on the next version.

codeninja posted on Dec 16 2005 at 07:20 AM said:
RiX0R posted on Dec 15 2005 at 02:01 PM said:
Great release.

Here's another feature request for you :):

In the "Enter Initial" screen, please make holding the stick in a direction scroll through all the letters, instead of having to nudge the stick each time.

Doing that, there is an unwritten convention that I'd like to share with you. When user press up/down, letter scroll once and then the user should hold the joystick in the same direction for 1/2 sec to make the letters start to scroll continuously. This way, you don't have to worry about over scrolling all the time. :) Even GP2x Menu has the feature.
RiX0R's request will be available some time. Codeninja, about that unwritten convention, holding the stick will make letters to scroll as fast as cursor does during game, and I think that's going to be enough. I'm too lazy to add that half second... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I've come across a bug, although I haven't yet been able to replicate it, simply because of its improbability. Or at least, whilst playing, the game suddenly quit and dropped back to the 2x linux gui.

I'm *fairly* sure it occurred when I a line of 6 or 7 pandas appeared and the game tried to deal with it, but I could be wrong. Certainly there was an unusually large line of animals that had turned up at that point - I wondered if it was trying to calculate some of their removal twice and running into problems or something. But either way, might be worth rigging it to try out large strings of animals and seeing what happens.

This is, without a doubt, the most addictive game on the GP2x... I made lvel 18 the other day :D

I've come across a bug, although I haven't yet been able to replicate it, simply because of its improbability. Or at least, whilst playing, the game suddenly quit and dropped back to the 2x linux gui.

I'm *fairly* sure it occurred when I a line of 6 or 7 pandas appeared and the game tried to deal with it, but I could be wrong. Certainly there was an unusually large line of animals that had turned up at that point - I wondered if it was trying to calculate some of their removal twice and running into problems or something. But either way, might be worth rigging it to try out large strings of animals and seeing what happens.
Thanks very much for reporting this bug. Do you know what? You are really lucky! :). My girlfriend and I have played Tilematch for about a thousand times and never happened. I've tried two things to replicate it. First, I've set up the board so that all tiles are the same. It crashes. I hope it's the same bug you found. Second, I've set up the board so that a column or a row has the same tile type (so an 8 animal line). This way it doesn't crash. Weird...

Anyway, since having 64 animals of the same type makes the program crash, I guess it's going to be relatively easy to track it. I'll check it soon.

This is, without a doubt, the most addictive game on the GP2x... I made lvel 18 the other day :D
Level 25 here! :p

Level 25 here! :p

You guys are insane, any tips & tricks for getting past level 15?

Lets see... don't look at the animals you still have to collect, just collect wherever you possibly can. For some reason, knowing what I'm looking for always slows me down, and I'm rarely able to get past level 11 if I'm after specific animal groups.

Do look at the side if a level seems to be taking too long to flashback - you may find you've been neglecting one set of animals. Just don't let this affect which groups you make - your subconscious ought to take care of the rest.

Listening to certain types of music seems to make a difference too... tango is acceptable, as is bach or the spoken word; system of a down, great music though it is, tends to negatively affect how I play.

Finally, try to get into a trance... don't *try* to see which ones to choose, just move the cursor around until you do. Let your subconscious keep track of which one is going to cause a cascade of lines; you just move the cursor.

Yeah, I know my way of playing this game sounds kinda mystical, but hey, it works!

Back