Tinxl?

grasshoppir said:
it was to[sup]^[/sup]o awesome to work :(

What happened? C&D?/loss of interest or not enough resources?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oi, I see. Is this something that can be solved when we ship? Or do we need several million Pandoras for this to work?

Oh it would work with just a few. :) I just meant that without any shipped Pandoras, the people involved seemed to lose interest and abandon it. It was started way back in early 2008.

I put the project on hold in November 2008 until my pandora arrived.

... Admittedly, at the time i thought it'd be closer to 3 months than a year and a half, but the project is still on the todo list!

-edit- Our plan is to develop TINXL and POND alongside each other, POND for the actual game connections (vpn, low level comms, poking UPnP etc) and TINXL for matchmaking / text chat / voice comms. At this point TINXL is probably going to be XMPP based, since thats a nice standard extensible IM platform, but as i said, still waiting!

Just wondering, what are some of the features of TINXL aside from what you mentioned?

not enuff pandoras, but this should work on all platforms? windows, linux, mac os, wii, symbian, freebsd, android etc. right?

TINXL target is the pandora and other linux computers, but it's open source ...

It will initially be developed for the OpenPandora Handheld, and Linux-based PCs, but as all the code will be available as an open source project, other devices should be addable easily by just recompiling (for linux-based devices), or by writing a custom implementation of the TINXL comms protocol.

And a real pandora in your hands is a great source of motivation to code.

parag0n said:
I put the project on hold in November 2008 until my pandora arrived.

... Admittedly, at the time i thought it'd be closer to 3 months than a year and a half, but the project is still on the todo list!

-edit- Our plan is to develop TINXL and POND alongside each other, POND for the actual game connections (vpn, low level comms, poking UPnP etc) and TINXL for matchmaking / text chat / voice comms. At this point TINXL is probably going to be XMPP based, since thats a nice standard extensible IM platform, but as i said, still waiting!

Holly crap. this is good news. Many of us thought both were dead... and a while ago there were posts that they were competing standards.

To have them both alive and the authors working together, is a great thing.

By the way, do you have any idea on which licenses your implementations will be released under? I'm involved with a (non-Pandora) game project and we'll need a matchmaking service in the future. TINXL could save us a bit of work but depending on the license we'd either extend your work (BSD-type license) or have to implement the protocol ourselves (GPL-type license). The same questions apply to POND. In the end it's mostly a question of convenience but hey, knowing never hurts.

I would join ANYTHING whose name stood for "This is not X-Box Live." ANYTHING. Even a club where you periodically graft skin from your genitalia by hand without anesthesia to give to homeless amputee-cannibals.

Namo said:
I would join ANYTHING whose name stood for "This is not X-Box Live." ANYTHING. Even a club where you periodically graft skin from your genitalia by hand without anesthesia to give to homeless amputee-cannibals.

Too bad. TINXL = Tinxl is not xbox live. It's a recursive name.

^ But it doesn't stand for "This Is Not Xbox Live." It stands for "TINXL Is Not Xbox Live"! We must keep the great tradition of recursive acronyms in free software!

This is a -great- idea, by the way. Will there be like, a library for games to link against... or just a standard? I'd -love- to eventually launch my long-lost 2d spaceship game project on something like TINXL.

EDIT: yay first ninja'd post >.< :ph34r:

Namo said:

joining fees are very reasonable.

can't wait for this project to start. hope we can work a deal to link these forum accounts or some sort of universal account "one account the rule them all" to help interlink everything nicely.

AquaAnalogue said:
EDIT: yay first ninja'd post >.< :ph34r:
Hahah, I try. Congrats.
cool.gif

Attachments

• cool.gif
    cool.gif
    696 bytes · Views: 70
Back