Tips, tricks and tweaks

David Hayward

Still Fresh
Hello fellow forumites,

I write a regular two page section in Micro Mart entitled 'Tips, tricks and tweaks', which cover operating systems, browsers, applications and the like, and I would like to make a future one based on the Pandora.

Granted I only have 1200 words to play with, minus a introduction and headings; but would the knowledgeable fellow Pandora users mind giving me some advice, and their tips, tricks and tweaks so I can share them with the Micro Mart readers?

If you would like to help out, then please post below, and I'll try to mention as many as humanly possible (although I could easily fill an entire magazine with Pandora content). Obviously when, and if, it appears in the magazine is out of my control but as soon as I find out I'll let you all know.

Many thanks in advance.

David Hayward.

What about an article how to setup a Crosscompiler toolchain or setup a dev environment on the device and compile your first program on it? Wouldn't that be neat? :)

True, but unfortunately the magazine world is already saturated with 'first programming on the Raspberry Pi' articles at the moment, but in the future that could very well be an option.

What about an article how to setup a Crosscompiler toolchain or setup a dev environment on the device and compile your first program on it? Wouldn't that be neat? :)

That would be fairly awesome, and I would like to see that. =)

True, but unfortunately the magazine world is already saturated with 'first programming on the Raspberry Pi' articles at the moment, but in the future that could very well be an option.

But it would be the first article of that sort for a freaking handheld :)

Edit: As for tips tricks and tweaks:

- Modify XFCE to your liking aka pimp my desktop

- how to install Pandebian, slackware, arch, ubuntu, android

- overclocking/overvolting explained

- use your Pandora to program an arduino

- How to boot from sdcard

- PNDManager - your everyday pnd tool

Last edited by a moderator:
I know mate. Let the RPi storm quell first, though. Even if I/we wrote something like that, it would be next year by the time a magazine would print it.

What about an article how to setup a Crosscompiler toolchain or setup a dev environment on the device and compile your first program on it? Wouldn't that be neat?
+1 on this from me.  Pandora was my 1st experience of linux & the more I can sort out for myself the better.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Setting up a dev environment on the device itself is quite easy, and will be trivial when .next arrives. You just have to type "opkg install gcc gcc-symlinks make-dev binutils-dev cpp cpp-symlinks libgcc-dev g++ g++-symlinks libstdc++-dev libgles-omap3-dev libsdl-1.2-dev libsdl-gfx-dev libsdl-image-1.2-dev libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev libsdl-net-1.2-dev libsdl-ttf-2.0-dev" (add anything else you need to that list of packages). In a sense, this is not even Pandora-specific, it is the same in any GNU/Linux distribution.

Setting up a dev environment on the device itself is quite easy, and will be trivial when .next arrives. You just have to type "opkg install gcc gcc-symlinks make-dev binutils-dev cpp cpp-symlinks libgcc-dev g++ g++-symlinks libstdc++-dev libgles-omap3-dev libsdl-1.2-dev libsdl-gfx-dev libsdl-image-1.2-dev libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev libsdl-net-1.2-dev libsdl-ttf-2.0-dev" (add anything else you need to that list of packages). In a sense, this is not even Pandora-specific, it is the same in any GNU/Linux distribution.

How much space does that take in the NAND when you install all those?

Don't do that on a Pandora. It will break libncurses (can't login) and others as well. Use Freamon's cdevtools from the repo instead.

--Wb-- is that true that it will break things ?

Yes it will do. I have tried it with latest stable and older zaxxon beta releases.

It will break:

1/libncurses

2/some problems with binutils-dev and libgles-omap3-dev,

unmet depedencies. Can not install.

Use this as reference.

Not sure if this would fall under tips/tweaks, or if this is advisable to mention in your article due to the warning given ... but Swap File.

I hear the term banded around a fair bit to improve performance running tasks.

See http://pandorawiki.org/Swap

Don't do that on a Pandora. It will break libncurses (can't login) and others as well. Use Freamon's cdevtools from the repo instead.

--Wb-- is that true that it will break things ?

I was talking about how it would be on .next. In the current OS, you have to be a bit more careful, and do

opkg update

opkg install libncurses5

first, to avoid getting a broken libncurses.

Also, I recommend doing this on an SD install, not on the NAND!

See http://pandorawiki.org/Compile_directly_on_the_Pandora for more information.

Back