Official Pandora Magazine

Prometheus said:
I've just been catching up on the thread, and I have a question for the Brits out there: Do any of you remember Digitiser, on Channel 4's teletext service, and am I the only one being reminded of it right now? :p

Sorry no - I spent a lot of time hating Teletext because it was clunky and error-prone, so have forgotten as much as possible. CH4? I doubt I ever used their teletext for anything but "What's on Now & Next" :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, you guys disappoint me. :p I fondly remember checking Digitiser daily in 1998 and 1999. Parts of its surreality live on in the form of in-jokes with people I know. :lol:

Prometheus said:
Do any of you remember Digitiser, on Channel 4's teletext service?

Stay out of my bins kids. Hee hee - I used to be a regular on it, under my real name.

I still fondly recall "The Quoon's Speech" at Christmas '98 (partly because it gets a mention every Christmas around here). For some reason, the bizarre "Quoon" name, combined with the even weirder picture, had me in stitches because it was so random. :lol:

Where did our funny games content writers go? :(

Prometheus said:
Where did our funny games content writers go? :(

Mr. Biffo is a successful scriptwriter for TV soaps and the like. The rest, I presume, went on to better paid jobs with less abuse.

And Violet Berlin went on to be in a really crappy games-based show that was shown at stupid o' clock, occasionally. :p

Sorry for the off-topicness, folks. :p The notion of a digital Pandora magazine got me kind of nostalgic!

That was Bad Influence with her and, hmm, Andy Crane? It was part of CITV and was on just after school :)

I think though that her column in Digitizer was after her appearance on Bad Influence? She also of course featured in Micro Machines 96!

You have the wrong show. ;) Bad Influence was *excellent*. The one I'm referring to was shown late on some satellite channel or other, around 2000/2001 or thereabouts.

Spectrum users might recall the 'extra program' on the cassette of 'Dark Star' by Design Design (Crystal) called SPECTACLE. It was like Digitiser before digitiser came into being. A full simulation of teletext, with tons of pages of humour and nonsense. You even had to enter page numbers and wait for the counter to come around for the page to open.

The chunky text and graphics would be ideal for the Pandora's screen. There's your magazine format. Do you see?
;)

The name 'Spectacle' was a mix of Spectrum & 'Oracle' - Oracle was the name for the ITV teletext service (Which later hosted Digitiser!).

Pandoracle !

I like this idea as well.

I would suggest the name Hesiod, not only does it sound kind old school sci-fi, but it is the name of the author who wrote the first know Pandora myth.

Prometheus said:
You have the wrong show. ;) Bad Influence was *excellent*. The one I'm referring to was shown late on some satellite channel or other, around 2000/2001 or thereabouts.

Well I never had Sky back in them days, but VB was *definitely* one of the hosts of Bad Influence.

Aye, she was good on that. That's what made the later one so bad. :lol:

Back