Today I Retire My Wiz

Lily Surette said:
Okay, firstly, that is truly awesome. Nice work on making your Wiz into an organ donor of sorts. :D

Secondly, that's perfectly understandable logic. The Pandora does have a lot of features the Caanoo doesn't. xD I just thought that, given all the parts you had fabbed, I would've expected migration to the Caanoo to keep making use of them (and the programs you've got already, after the necessary recompiling) instead. But no biggie, It all makes sense.

Jeez, I feel bad for making such a lightweight post compared to your explanation. :p

Edit: DIE EMOTES
I do tend to make long-winded posts. I also try to fill them with substance.

Yeah. They do two different things, the caanoo is more of an instant-on straight into the game kind of thing, whereas the pandora is more of a complete, all-around multimedia computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lily Surette said:
Okay, firstly, that is truly awesome. Nice work on making your Wiz into an organ donor of sorts. :D

Secondly, that's perfectly understandable logic. The Pandora does have a lot of features the Caanoo doesn't. xD I just thought that, given all the parts you had fabbed, I would've expected migration to the Caanoo to keep making use of them (and the programs you've got already, after the necessary recompiling) instead. But no biggie, It all makes sense.

Jeez, I feel bad for making such a lightweight post compared to your explanation. :p

Yeah, I tend to make long-winded responses. I also intend for them to actually have substance. The two consoles both offer something different. For the caanoo, it's instant gaming in your pocket. For the pandora, it's mobile computing AND gaming in your pocket, at the cost of having a slightly less "pickup-and-play" feel to it. If you're going to be playing a quick game here and there, the caanoo is more for you. If you're going to be diving in and using a full desktop or playing a couple of hours of final fantasy, the pandora is better suited for that.

I would dispute that I'd find it easier or more enjoyable to play hours of final fantasy (or anything else) on the Pandora. In fact, I'd probably find the extra bulk of the console quite fatiguing. But that's just me.

Nova said:
I would dispute that I'd find it easier or more enjoyable to play hours of final fantasy (or anything else) on the Pandora. In fact, I'd probably find the extra bulk of the console quite fatiguing. But that's just me.

As long as it fits comfortably in my hands, I don't mind a little weight. In fact, I felt that was something the wiz had lacked. It was almost TOO light.

Nova said:
Lol, you do make some funny posts sometimes :) It's a handheld, not a brick ;)

ndbsolar said:
It's a handheld, not a brick ;)
'Fatiguing' doesn't always refer to weight. I can imagine that a more ergonomic console like the Caanoo would be easier on the hands over a long period of time.

quote said:
ndbsolar said:
'Fatiguing' doesn't always refer to weight. I can imagine that a more ergonomic console like the Caanoo would be easier on the hands over a long period of time.
Yeah, I have actually owned both handhelds, and the Wiz is way better for long runs of gaming depending on your hand size and such. I owned my Wiz for almost a year, and barely ever touched it(finally sold it off). My pandora is used daily, and with the battery life I can go as long as I feel I need to. I never have to stop playing to charge and what not.

Both devices have their goods and bads, but for me the decision to get a Pandora was easy to make, and having had it for a few months, I doubt I will ever return to the limitations of the Wiz, Caanoo, or Dingoo, ect. For me personally, the extra cost is not much compared to the extras you get. The only real reason I would use one of the smaller units is strictly for the comfort over long periods, but since I currently don't have the time to play that long, the Pandora is just fine.

Hopefully you can get one soon, as the dalays in inventory will drive many to another electronic toy that is currently available. I will say the wait is well worth it, and hopefully you will enjoy it greatly!

Chris

quote said:
ndbsolar said:
My point was that, although maybe after hours and hours of playing you might start to feel something with the extra weight, it's hardly a deal breaker. Unless your an extremly nitpicky type of guy...

something similar happened to an old laptop of mine... somehow the screen cracked and only about 1 square inch of the screen would work. I just simply removed the screen along with the entire cover and used an lcd monitor for the rest of its life, until I got a new laptop.

I think it was a bit of a mistake for gph to use an oled screen... anyway i hope you dont have to wait too long to save up for/wait for a pandora...

My ds lite reached the end of its life and needs a new circuit board. a fuse or two burned out, the power switch snapped off, and its virtually unfixable without a new circuit board... I might get a caanoo; a pandora is way too expensive for me right now :p

Nova said:

To put things into perspective, my favorite controller is the original XBOX controller, AKA The duke:

duke5.jpg

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
Lily Surette said:

I do tend to make long-winded posts. I also try to fill them with substance.

Yeah. They do two different things, the caanoo is more of an instant-on straight into the game kind of thing, whereas the pandora is more of a complete, all-around multimedia computer.
You kind of missed that the Pandora is FAR more powerful than a canoo though.

And yes analog does suck for emus. I know, I had a Zodiac it sucked balls playing emus with the analog stick, sloppy as hell.

Also that Wiz screen kind of confirms my suspicion that the screens can de-laminate. I guess to help to prevent that it would be best to avoid hot-cold transitions and severe moisture.

quote said:
DaveC I'd really like to hear your views on the Caanoo's analog stick.

Can I post the quote? I'm gonna post the quote.

EDIT:

Nova said:
DaveC said:
Um yeah ok.

At least the Pandora has a D-pad and speakers that face you and not your dog. Of course then there is the more powerful CPU, bigger higher res screen, etc etc..

Nova said:
DaveC said:
The Wiz has an OLED screen, a D-pad not analog which is better for emus, and speakers that actually face you as you play. To me the Wiz is an improved Caanoo :p

I'm wondering how many more times you're planning on posting the same sentence only reworded.

Just so you know, you're currently on 8.

I'd say it's only gone up by half this time though.

The software is in part what dictates how well the stick will work. Is it a D-Pad? No. Is it a good stick? Possibly.

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
The software is in part what dictates how well the stick will work. Is it a D-Pad? No. Is it a good stick? Possibly.

It's a great stick. Unfortunately people like to slam things they have no experience of.

Nova said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

It's a great stick. Unfortunately people like to slam things they have no experience of.

To be honest, nobody is ever going to be happy about what control scheme one of these consoles has, and the reason is simple - It's either one or the other. You don't get a D-Pad and a stick on anything (except the pandora, although those are little nubby things and not technically sticks...), So the people that like the stick will like the stick, and the people that don't like the stick don't. It's a personal preference, really.

Nova said:
b1ueskycomp1ex said:

I have lots of experience playing d-pad only games with an analog stick. None of it was ever good.
Basicly what your saying is that the stick on the Caanoo is better than every other analog stick ever invented yes? I'm telling you now that it must have been designed by a wizard, because no current analog can make Super Mario World playable.
I think that many people are going to be very dissapointed with the stick on the Caanoo simply because they listen to you and the false truths that your spreading.

ndbsolar said:
I have lots of experience playing d-pad only games with an analog stick. None of it was ever good.
Basicly what your saying is that the stick on the Caanoo is better than every other analog stick ever invented yes? I'm telling you now that it must have been designed by a wizard, because no current analog can make Super Mario World playable.
I think that many people are going to be very dissapointed with the stick on the Caanoo simply because they listen to you and the false truths that your spreading.

How well the analogue stick works, depends on how well the software is configured. If you try emulating d-pad games on a windows PC with an analogue stick controller, it probably wouldn't work well because the controls aren't optimised.
Likewise, on something like wii's virtual console, trying to play a d-pad game with an analogue stick may not work great because of the configuration being too general.

The Caanoo can modify the input on a per-application basis, so the emulators can read the analogue stick in ways that make it easier to play the d-pad games. Things like deadzones.

I don't think I really explained that very well... I'm going to try drawing a diagram.

RupeeClock said:
ndbsolar said:

How well the analogue stick works, depends on how well the software is configured. If you try emulating d-pad games on a windows PC with an analogue stick controller, it probably wouldn't work well because the controls aren't optimised.
Likewise, on something like wii's virtual console, trying to play a d-pad game with an analogue stick may not work great because of the configuration being too general.

The Caanoo can modify the input on a per-application basis, so the emulators can read the analogue stick in ways that make it easier to play the d-pad games. Things like deadzones.

I don't think I really explained that very well... I'm going to try drawing a diagram.
I understand what your saying, you do not need your diagram.
So tell me, do you think the stick will ever be as good as a d-pad?

ndbsolar said:
I understand what your saying, you do not need your diagram.
So tell me, do you think the stick will ever be as good as a d-pad?

Personally, I don't think analogue can ever be an ideal substitute for the digital-pad.
The fact that analogue sticks measure a directional value in an X/Y axis, means it can't ideally replace the on/off state of the digital pad.
It's "pressed where" against "pressed or not".
But, with well configured deadzones and input areas, analogue input can still be quite good.

I made the illustration anyhow.
vcr0D.png

Back