Today I Retire My Wiz

Yes, it's true that a stick will never be as good as a D-PAD for games that weren't designed to have precise stick controls.

Excelent post RupeeClock. Hopefully this will help Nova understand some of the advantages/disadvantages.
(because talking sense doesn't seem to work ;))

As per your diagram, smaller diagonals would make street fighter type games easier to play. Do you think it'd be possible for developers to modify their emulators to add an option for a stick type that would allow for tighter diagonals for games like street fighter?

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
As per your diagram, smaller diagonals would make street fighter type games easier to play. Do you think it'd be possible for developers to modify their emulators to add an option for a stick type that would allow for tighter diagonals for games like street fighter?

Yeah definitely, things like Mame4All can include options "Deadzone" and "Diagonal Tightness", which are the most important for optimising controls.
All of the Caanoo software I've tried so far, has no deadzones. I can get input by nudging the stick very slightly, which doesn't feel so good.

I've been playing a few Mame games though and the stick has done a good job, better than the F100 and Wiz for sure. I think my only complaint about the hardware is that on a smaller unit, I think a little bit more resistance would've helped a lot. It's a matter of adjusting to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back