Tomboy for Notetaking?

Tomboy is written in C# -> forget about it. No TomBoy for OP.. anyway i ported Nagaina / Research Assistant and there is ZIM as well for Panda.

Last edited:
Tomboy is written in C# -> forget about it. No TomBoy for OP.. anyway i ported Nagaina / Research Assistant and there is ZIM as well for Panda.
Mono is running on pandora, so tomboy could/should too. But I agree that there are satisfying remplacement around already

Whats wrong with C#? It seems to become more and more popular or is there a reason that it doesn't work on the Pandora?

Whats wrong with C#? It seems to become more and more popular or is there a reason that it doesn't work on the Pandora?
If it become more popular, it's only because people dont have any memory.

It's the last language MS made on map. So it become more popular because MS dont support anything else anyway. When MS will find an other horse to beat they will just desupport .net without a valid migration path to their new language/technology/whatever.

Also, see my previous post : c# works on pandora.

If it become more popular, it's only because people dont have any memory.

It's the last language MS made on map. So it become more popular because MS dont support anything else anyway. When MS will find an other horse to beat they will just desupport .net without a valid migration path to their new language/technology/whatever.

Also, see my previous post : c# works on pandora.

Um... I take it this won't just be a matter of recompiling?

C# is a bytecode language just like Java, and therefore no recompiling should be needed, but it is bound to a .NET runtime.

Besides the usual disadvantages of bytecode languages, the runtime gives a lot of headaches. As a developer, you may suffer from differences and bugs when using Mono for non-MS systems, and as a user you'll basically get a heart attack because of its size. .NET has kind of the exact opposite development approach compared to Windows: They don't shrug back about breaking the old API, which means that each major version has an own runtime. Sun's JRE is a joke compared to the whole .NET package.

I'm sure that you would never accept the size of the final PND for such a small tool, and IMHO a separate runtime PND like it has been done for Java doesn't make a lot of sense here, either.

There's an application called Gnote which as I understand it is the "Tomboy sans Mono" application for Linux desktops who don't want to ship with Mono for various reasons.

I believe that's C++ with GTK, might that be more up our alley?

C# is a bytecode language just like Java, and therefore no recompiling should be needed, but it is bound to a .NET runtime.

Besides the usual disadvantages of bytecode languages, the runtime gives a lot of headaches. As a developer, you may suffer from differences and bugs when using Mono for non-MS systems, and as a user you'll basically get a heart attack because of its size. .NET has kind of the exact opposite development approach compared to Windows: They don't shrug back about breaking the old API, which means that each major version has an own runtime. Sun's JRE is a joke compared to the whole .NET package.

I'm sure that you would never accept the size of the final PND for such a small tool, and IMHO a separate runtime PND like it has been done for Java doesn't make a lot of sense here, either.

Oi, I see..

Gnote? Worth a shot.

Back