ToME: Tales of Maj'Eyal port?

klapse

Central Scrutinizer
Has anyone looked into porting this? http://te4.org/wiki/howtocompile ... ToME is one of the better / more-modern roguelikes available, and the interface is more accessible than most. It -looks- like it should be scaleable down to 800x480 as well!

(if you are familiar with Diablo, that is essentially a roguelike with a modern UI)

My stumbling block with this is sebt3's cross compiling tools which I use primarily doesn't have premake4 or gmake. Perhaps they can be built, but may be more trouble than it's worth. When I get time I can look into it.. but so far it's not an easy compile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone looked into porting this? http://te4.org/wiki/howtocompile ... ToME is one of the better / more-modern roguelikes available, and the interface is more accessible than most. It -looks- like it should be scaleable down to 800x480 as well!

(if you are familiar with Diablo, that is essentially a roguelike with a modern UI)
I hope it's more like Diablo and not like, well, Rogue :D

"Rogue like" means for me: you die and you have to start from zero, which I hate and that's the reason I prefer more "Diablo like" games. ^^ I had a very hard time with nethack and gave up, because it was just so unforgiving and frustrating for my taste.

Thanks for the reply TrashyMG. I hope you find time to give it a try! I have been down dependency hell with previous ports, having to cripple dependency autoconfs just to get them to build. But often enough things will build after a bit of googling and autoconf/makefile hacking.

Cheers

In linux, 'make' == 'gmake'; "make" normally refers to a local make, such as BSD make on a BSD machine, or Solaris make; but linux is based on gnu tools for the most part, so make is gmake.

premake4 is a generic makefile thing, and it in turn spits out makefiles for your local build system; so if you already have a Makefile, maybe you can get by with that.

jeff

In linux, 'make' == 'gmake'; "make" normally refers to a local make, such as BSD make on a BSD machine, or Solaris make; but linux is based on gnu tools for the most part, so make is gmake.

premake4 is a generic makefile thing, and it in turn spits out makefiles for your local build system; so if you already have a Makefile, maybe you can get by with that.

jeff

Yeah, It's using some Lua witchcraft to generate a makefile.. I've never really dealt with anything like this before.. I could try to generate the Makefile on my desktop after installing the premake4 tools and hack the living hell out of it..

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, that strategy works for sure, in some ports.

I'm just happy to see MST3k references .. Tom Servo and .. I forget the other guy. But you carry that flag :)

jeff

Tom Servo was the gumball machine looking robot, The guy in my avatar is Crow. By far MST3K is one of the best things out of the 90's

I could try to generate the Makefile on my desktop after installing the premake4 tools and hack the living hell out of it..
Any luck with this?

MSTK: "Girls Town" "Santa Claus conquers the martians" lol. And the number of Minnesota in-jokes are hilarious.

Back