Too early to buy dual 32GB SD cards?

I'm not trying to nitpick here, but I'd like to point out there's a difference between 32Gb and 32GB - 32Gb = 32Gb/8bits = 4GB.

Not an issue here, just something to keep in mind - I'm not trying to be annoying :p .

Thanks for the links btw :) .
Thanks for clarifying.

Just ordered a Class X for the Pandora, only had a couple of the Class VI 32GB SDHC which worked fine in the Pandora, GoPro HD Surf, and Olympus LS-11.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

I bought a 4GB hard disc and it cost me some hundreds of dollars. Mind you, that was over ten years ago, thinking about it (eek!)

My Eee PC has a 4GB internal flash drive (which I expect is NAND flash) which gets daily writes to it as the various logs get written to (the machine stays on 24/7). This drive has no wear levelling, unlike any modern SD card, but it's still working after more than two years. One of these days it'll fail - that'll be my impetus to go out and replace it with a nice wear-levelling runcore drive.

ive bought 6 32gb sandisk ultras in november of 09(a month after my panda-order) its still hard to find a better price for them then what i spent

MicroCenter has a backorder right now for the Class X SDHC 32GB card, ordered Monday, got the email today, FYI in case in a rush for some memory.

Microcenter has lowered prices on Class VI 32GB to $49.99 Class X 32GB to $54.99

My Class X is on backorder still, going to call for a price adjustment

Herindoors said I'm not allowed to buy anything for the Pandora until it arrives. She's a vapourware tawt and Craig should punch her.

Microcenter has lowered prices on Class VI 32GB to $49.99 Class X 32GB to $54.99

My Class X is on backorder still, going to call for a price adjustment
wait.. like this microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&N=4294966791%2B4294957946%2B4294960361&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct

i'd be weary about the a-data sd cards and the microcenter branded card... it just smells of eww

I think some solid choices are below 32gb class 4 for $45 and class 6 for $54 (prices vary per day)

transcend are extremely decent flash memory makers, I've had noting but good things to say about them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208557

patriot despite somewhat bad reviews on this site is another very reputable manufactuer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220444

wait.. like this microcenter?

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?sortby=pricelow&N=4294966791%2B4294957946%2B4294960361&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct

i'd be weary about the a-data sd cards and the microcenter branded card... it just smells of eww

I think some solid choices are below 32gb class 4 for $45 and class 6 for $54 (prices vary per day)

transcend are extremely decent flash memory makers, I've had noting but good things to say about them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208557

patriot despite somewhat bad reviews on this site is another very reputable manufactuer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220444
Yes, I've been using them for months and have had no problems with 32GB Microcenter branded cards, in fact shoot HD video with them just fine, records PCM audio just fine. All memory is subject to failure, I sold mini-discs for years and the only media company that I've had repeated issues with were Memorex. Microcenter has locations all across the US, do you think they would sell cards that sucked? Its a sticker. I've used A-Data 16GB and micro 16GB without any problems as well.

Find me bad reviews on Microcenter cards please.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

Yes, I've been using them for months and have had no problems with 32GB Microcenter branded cards, in fact shoot HD video with them just fine, records PCM audio just fine. All memory is subject to failure, I sold mini-discs for years and the only media company that I've had repeated issues with were Memorex. Microcenter has locations all across the US, do you think they would sell cards that sucked? Its a sticker. I've used A-Data 16GB and micro 16GB without any problems as well.

Find me bad reviews on Microcenter cards please.

Peace & Pandora,

Link

not trying to bad talk them... I'm just saying I've never heard of that store/website and it just looks fishy

I personally would not feel comfortable buying either one, but at that price point, I guess it doesn't matter as long as they provide a warranty

Hopefully regardless of warranty, if anyone buys them and they prove duff via the Hftestsoftware jig the card can be returned as 'not fit for purpose' under basic trading laws that it doesn't do as was advertised and thus give me my refund now please!

not trying to bad talk them... I'm just saying I've never heard of that store/website and it just looks fishy

I personally would not feel comfortable buying either one, but at that price point, I guess it doesn't matter as long as they provide a warranty
Microcenter seems like a very legit store, especially if you actually have one in your neighborhood. I've only used them for internet purchases, but they are a step ahead of many other companies I've worked with in communication. I get an email when something gets backordered, I get a notice when that item ships, I can call customer support and get answers to my questions in a timely efficient manner, they've adjusted invoices for items that were backordered and the price was lowered while I waited for it to ship. They are an authorized Apple reseller, and while Apple isn't the best company in the world, they don't let any Tom, Dick or Harry sell their goods.

I use them in my MacBook Pro for HD video, have used them in an Olympus audio recorder, and used one of the 32GB that I have from Microcenter in my Pandora exclusively and have had no issues. Sometimes the MacBook Pro recognizes the card but won't let me write to it, but for recording on the fly in HD or audio, they take the abuse and give great results. I've never tested these because I've never had a need to, they work, friends have used them and not complained.

What I'm saying is that somewhere in Asia their are a few factories that are producing these cards, and they have a lot of different stickers. My two cents. Pay dumby lewt for a name you like if MicroCenter or A-Data don't meet your standards, but all memory fails eventually.

Lastly, they have real sales where you have to go to the store to buy a well marked down item, and you can only buy one. To me this still has real meaning in business sense, storefronts have value, and I still find myself at a place like Radio Shack when I'm in a bind for cables etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been explained on here before (not by me, so I may be getting some of this wrong) the majority of SD card manufacturers use third party flash (including the likes of AData, Patriot, Kingston) and a proportion also use third party flash controllers. Supply of flash components is a very volatile business at the moment, and people in the supply chain will be picking up flash from different suppliers all the time as factory outputs vary and prices shift. It's not unknown for dodgy flash to get into apparently well-known brands SD cards, though the ones I know of may be fakes. That's why buying from reputable stores who hopefully buy their cards directly from the card manufacturers or thereabouts helps. The well-respected card manufacturers presumably have better processes for testing the components before they put them into cards, to help weed out defective or fake components. But personally I only trust buying brands who produce their own flash components, such as Sandisk or Samsung, bought from reputable suppliers.

I'm not saying there's anything you could have done differently, or anything about AData or Microcenter. Personally I'm not convinced you've got a duff card anyway - it sounds to me like the card might not have been unmounted properly, but then I know nothing about unmount at shutdown in Linux, so I'm probably talking out of my hat.

Luckily I've never bought any fake flash, then again the only two places I've bought SD cards are Newegg and Amazon. I guess if you buy things from a store and you trust them don't worry so much about the brand just go for it. I know Newegg and Amazon wouldn't knowingly sell fake flash and would immediately refund your purchase if that was the case. I hear bad things about online auction sites though, I think that is the only danger.

This (Transcend 32GB Class 10) and this (Sandisk 32GB Class 2)

OR

This (Transcend 32GB Class 10) and this (Sandisk 16GB Class 4)?

Can't decide between fast, high capacity, or value (and possibly unreliable, corrupting etc) :unsure:

^ Personally, I would try to avoid third-party sellers, which should whittle down those choices a bit. I'm not saying that the sellers that you've linked to there are bad, as I have no way of knowing that - it's just a precaution I would take, as fakes have been known to appear on Amazon from time to time via that avenue.

This (Transcend 32GB Class 10) and this (Sandisk 32GB Class 2)

OR

This (Transcend 32GB Class 10) and this (Sandisk 16GB Class 4)?

Can't decide between fast, high capacity, or value (and possibly unreliable, corrupting etc) :unsure:

^ Personally, I would try to avoid third-party sellers, which should whittle down those choices a bit. I'm not saying that the sellers that you've linked to there are bad, as I have no way of knowing that - it's just a precaution I would take, as fakes have been known to appear on Amazon from time to time via that avenue.
I can vouch for Transcend, great company, I have 3 of their cards and have filled them up and erased them many times. The 2 16GB Transcend cards I have filled then erased once or twice a week for a year or so and they have held up.

Someone said the Pandora write speed maxes out at around class 6 speeds so I wouldn't worry about what class the card is if it is at least 6.

I'm just one of those people that can't see paying so much for a SD card, it's going to die eventually anyway, why spend so much for anything but size? I bet with Transcend when it does die there will be cards with 4 times as much space for the same price. If you code or write novels on your Pandora you should think about getting one of those sandisk cards for one of your slots but the other just max it out with Transcend. I don't know if sandisk is all that much better though. If you only going to game/use the web then what do you need to protect? If the card does die what will you loose? The Pandora doesn't have any cameras on it so besides coding or writing a novel I don't see the need to break the bank for cards.

EDIT: I think if you buy from Amazon you can check to see if it's fake and if it is you can return it, so you're covered there. As far as failing you should look at the return policy that Amazon has for the card you buy, if it dies before it's warranty is up then I'm sure Amazon will give a refund.

Back