Too Late To Request For Ir?

MrShlee

Still Fresh
hey,

I would love to see a working IR function on this baby.

Some people may consider it a gimmic but it would only allow people to add more functionality to the already ready for pre-order unit.

Compataibility with your TV, Mobile, Computer, PSP and any other IR enabled devices.

Any ideas if this is possible?

I'm quite interested in this functionality too, sadly MWestion says it's not enough requested for being considerate to being added.

He said the OMAP 3530 supports IR so it could be quite easy to do, just needing not much more than an IR led and a resistor.

I think all users interested in having stuff like a universal remote control into their Pandoras must reply here, maybe they will considerate if knowing that there are more people interested than it seemed before. Imagine substitute tons of remote controls by your Pandora, or if you are a bit evil... shutdown those annoying TVs elsewhere when you are outside ;)

This functionality has interest in the PDA world, as most PDAs has IR port and there are software for using it as remote control. Wii has a weird remote control utility in that TV channel from Japan it seems by using the IR leds of the "sensor" bar too, for example :)

In the worst case, it could be quite good making the addon the easiest way possible in internal. I mean adding some holes in the board where you only need to add the required components and some kind of switch for saying the OMAP "activate IR and do all the stuff needed like redirectionate the console output to some other port". I explained this to MWeston, I hope they consider it at least this in the worst case.

Just for information, the IR for remote controls is named Consumer IR.

I glad to have IR port too. But I guess that it will not implemented (as wiki inform), so I don't ask for it. But I don't really need it, because not watch TV nor Video, not even listen HiFi too much.

EDIT: USB IR dongle will be enough for me, if I really need it in the future.

You and others think wrong. The reason for not being included is the lack of request for it, so if people goes to the pessimistic way it will not be included.

If they see there's a real request from a considerate number of people, then they will think about it and even probably add it. They just don't want to add stuff that too few people will use, as they want to reduce costs where possible (that I understand perfectly as they aren't a big company, but even companies are more aggressive at this and you see stuff like bad quality components and such).

So if you want IR port, please say it here and explain your interest having it. Maybe it will happen, but you can only know it by requesting it.

peca: OK, but the cost of adding IR is minimal and the USB IR dongle is far more expensive than that. You just need an IR led and a resistor, so this can be a very interesting feature if there are enough users wanting it. It's not like adding accelerometers like in iPhone and iPod Touch that are cheap but make the cost of the hardware a bit more, all of the digital circuits for supporting IR are there so there's only need for the analog stuff that are only a resistor and a IR LED ;)

Haha, I thought IR would be nice too because it could control my Lego Mindstorms with a bit of work and also work as a universal remote...

I'll be skeptic that MWetson didn't add 1 LED, resistor and wire on PCB, because lack of users. And I'll be more skeptic, that is possible add IR just now (due to rerouting PCB).

You'll be able to add it yourself if you need it, MW said he has the pins routed to an expansion connector.

timofonic said:
OK, but the cost of adding IR is minimal
Maybe, but regardless of the technical aspect they can't keep adding stuff without it affecting the overall price either and that has been fixed by demand, as I'm sure has been quoted elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like IR, but I would also be happy with a guide on how to add it myself. Though premade it prolly would look better.

Ok, say it costs £1 to add IR. Cheap you say, should included by default as 5% of the user base want it.

Now multiply that across 10,000 sales. That's £10,000 less profit, as craig has already said he wants to keep the price at £199 or thereabouts.

It's OK, but why adding only to the expansion connector? What about adding some holes or soldering points on the board for that?

timofonic said:
It's OK, but why adding only to the expansion connector? What about adding some holes or soldering points on the board for that?
Because he doesn't like you? :p

timofonic said:
You and others think wrong. The reason for not being included is the lack of request for it, so if people goes to the pessimistic way it will not be included.

You think wrong. I don't want the Pandora to delayed even more than it already *is* (It's June now, in case you lost track, and the Pandora won't be coming out this month - or next month from what I'm reading.) for some stupid IR port. Sony *took it off* the PSP because it's useless. "Oh! I can turn your TV off with my game system! Wowwie!" Please, give me a break! Buy a $3 keychain universal remote and get over it.

chad78 said:
timofonic said:

You think wrong. I don't want the Pandora to delayed even more than it already *is* (It's June now, in case you lost track, and the Pandora won't be coming out this month - or next month from what I'm reading.) for some stupid IR port. Sony *took it off* the PSP because it's useless. "Oh! I can turn your TV off with my game system! Wowwie!" Please, give me a break! Buy a $3 keychain universal remote and get over it.
USB IR adapters not work directly for the same reason of USB bluetooth adapters.

I don't care what Sony or other does, and thanks for using those kind of nice words with me.

It seems the forum is like always, with people that need desesperately to get a life and not able to discuss without insulting when thinking differnt. Anyway, Pandora forum is useless like before it was so I lost nothing. No more replies, bye to all and have luck...

Prophet: Are you so bored that you need to troll over the forum? There are good pills for solving that behaviour.

timofonic said:
Prophet: Are you so bored that you need to troll over the forum? There are good pills for solving that behaviour.
Trolling? Nah, I'm just having fun. And yes, I am bored. But I don't use drugs, just occasional aspirin.

Timo - relax and don't take things so seriously. Especially me, I'm rarely serious. ;)

I don't think I would want to pay an extra quid for IR on Pandora, and definitely not 2 or more quid.

Back