Too Late To Request For Ir?

chad78 said:
I don't want the Pandora to delayed even more than it already *is* (It's June now, in case you lost track, and the Pandora won't be coming out this month - or next month from what I'm reading.) for some stupid IR port. Sony *took it off* the PSP because it's useless. "Oh! I can turn your TV off with my game system! Wowwie!" Please, give me a break! Buy a $3 keychain universal remote and get over it.
Strongly worded, but chad is right on the money here.

IR is not worth delaying Pandora or increasing its production costs for. The majority of users won't even use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are crazy!! Turning off your TV with Pandora is awesome!!

This leads right into my idea of a solar-powered back panel. You'd have to be on your back in the noon-day sun while playing, but it could extend the life of the battery by almost 30 minutes!!

....Just trying to get my "One Pandora Per Child" project off the ground.

Indrema said:
....Just trying to get my "One Pandora Per Child" project off the ground.
:lol: Pandora would certainly be more fun than those crappy looking OLPC's. Millions of poor children around the world would sing your praises. Good luck!

Well, personally I wouldn't mind doing a mod, it doesn't sound like that expensive of a thing to pull off (of course, I would be screwed as far as software went).

It does seem any system with TV-Out would benefit heavily with IR. Two out of the Three TV's I've encountered can't switch to a different input without the remote (one of the dumbest things ever), it would be nice if you could just plug your Pandora into a TV and press a button to cycle through your inputs without having to go get the remote (Nice, but far from necessary).

Of course, I totally understand that the line has to be drawn somewhere, and I'm very happy with how capable it is. The only reason I'd want IR to be included by default is because that would guarantee more drivers and a higher compatibility list for TV's.

So in conclusion, yeah, it'd be great, I'd love for the unit to have one. But not if it bumps the cost to high, or the release date back further, it's not worth it. Adding it to the docking station would be the second best option.

Edit: I just remembered, I bought my girlfriend a IR directed remote control helicopter once.. would be intriguing to program flight patterns into the Pandora to fly it around automatically. Ok, I'm done talking now, you guys can start discussing useful stuff again.

Just remember, mweston, I believe, said there were extra pads on the PCB for soldering our on shit. OMAP supports IR. Gentlemen, I believe that it wouldn't be much trouble with a small amount of electronics skill.

Indrema said:

This leads right into my idea of a solar-powered back panel. You'd have to be on your back in the noon-day sun while playing, but it could extend the life of the battery by almost 30 minutes!!
1. My Ninja Remote controls all my TV functions.

2. I'm going to build a solar attachment for the Pandora.

Atomic thumbs, you don't understand sarcasm, obviously. Ninja remote is also a piece of shit that anyone with brains could easily make themselves. It's like buying a LED flashlight, LOL.

Short Answer: Yes :p

I've found that the IR Data Comm devices in most PDAs make pretty crappy remote controls. There are a few PDAs that were designed with remote capability built into them specifically. I'm pretty sure that the built in IR capabilities of the OMAP processor line are intended for Data comm, and won't have the power that we'd want for a true remote control.

Remotes need to switch to using bluetooth anyways.

PoisonedV said:
Atomic thumbs, you don't understand sarcasm, obviously. Ninja remote is also a piece of shit that anyone with brains could easily make themselves. It's like buying a LED flashlight, LOL.
1. It cost me $2 with free shipping, and I was buying a green laser anyway

2. It's actually quite neat

3. Please find me a commonly available IC which has remote-control codes for all major brands of television and get back to me on that

4. You obviously don't understand the subtleties of anti-sarcasm non-sarcasm

atomicthumbs said:
4. You obviously don't understand the subtleties of anti-sarcasm non-sarcasm
By using that reverse reverse reverse shit, you negate the point of sarcasm in the first place. You aren't clever, and you're just trying to save face.
EDIT: Also I hope you didn't buy that green laser off of thinkgeek

atomicthumbs said:
Indrema said:

1. My Ninja Remote controls all my TV functions.

2. I'm going to build a solar attachment for the Pandora.

I was actually just going to hook it up to my solar backpack.

Also, my Pandora will BE my new TV

I agree that IR would be awesome, but the userbase doesn't want it, so I'll just buy a dongle

Back