Too Much!?

devlkore

^_^
Website
www.sparktasty.net
Ok,
So I'm trying to complete the game that is being demoed in the beta section, but when I try to load my main FPG, the GP32 resets. Uncompressed the FPG is about 300kilobytes, I know it's a lot, but 8MB of RAM shouldn't be killed by this, surely?

I even tried reducing the graphics size, so everything was half the previous resolution, the uncompressed FPG was about 80kilobytes, it still resets the GP32 though.

I tried compressed FPGs for both graphics sized and niether way worked.

Nothing locks up or gives me any errors when running it in Flamebird, with debug mode on and off, so I'm assuming the code is fine.

Is there any way of making the FPG load before anything else, just to make sure?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ThanX, BYEEEEE!!

Perhaps you can post that code you use for loading the fpg, the size is low,
some of my fpgs (intro, for example) are around 4mb large (uncompressed), so that shouldn`t be the problem.

Maybe your missing a file, something got corrupted on your smc or you accidently copied a wrong runtime?

If you load an FPG on one frame and try to use graphics from it in the next, does it crash?

Also, how many graphics do you have in your FPGs, I wonder if the number is too high (about 70).

I don't know if I've got too many variables flying around, which might be overloading it, but I doubt it.

Well I can't come up with any more possibilities than the ones Quiest mentions... One of my projects also worked fine on the pc interpreter but made the gp32 crash. I commented (with '//' I mean) almost all the code and it worked, then I kept adding processes and code blocks and trying if they worked until I found some "conflictive" parts I had to rewrite in a completely different fashion...

Yeah I know this is confusing. Not getting an error message and just watching how the console crashed without any previous warning gets quite frustrating.

Also, to calculate how much memory the uncompressed fpg takes up, you have to do something like this (as you might already know): width*height*[1 or 2 Bytes per pixel].

devlkore posted on Apr 11 2005 at 06:24 PM said:
If you load an FPG on one frame and try to use graphics from it in the next, does it crash?

Also, how many graphics do you have in your FPGs, I wonder if the number is too high (about 70).

I don't know if I've got too many variables flying around, which might be overloading it, but I doubt it.

Erm, you are not loading the fpg in a loop, don`t you?
Cause it shouldn`t crash, if a fpg is loaded you can use it`s graphics anywhere and anytime.

About the number of sprites in the fpg, it can be up to 999 (or 9999? too lazy to check this now :D), as long as the file isn`t too big.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got it working again on GP32, but without enemies, I also spent the last two days trying to sort out the problem and realised I hadn't declared a couple of arrays properly, but it wasn't giving me errors, so I didn't realise.

I'm re-writing the combo code now, hopefully it will still work on GP32 when it's done.

Back