Tools For Hardware Rendering

DeadlyDad

Still Fresh
For those of you who are wanting to have a better idea of how the rendering of your design will work, here is a very neat program to take 3D models and create papercraft versions that you can build: Pepakura

Clad said:
I wanted to give a try, but it's windows only. Thanks for the link but I don't think much people here are using windows.
It doesn't run well in Wine, true enough, but surely modelers would know somebody with a Windows box that can create a PDF of the papercraft model for uploading.

Sphinxter said:
What you really want is Art Of Illusion. Home Cross platform and not ransomware.

No, it isn't, unless it has a feature that I missed that will print papercraft versions of the models, or you were just talking in general. If it is the latter case, I'll leave it up to people who have time to look at it in depth to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:
DeadlyDad said:
Clad said:
I wanted to give a try, but it's windows only. Thanks for the link but I don't think much people here are using windows.
It doesn't run well in Wine, true enough, but surely modelers would know somebody with a Windows box that can create a PDF of the papercraft model for uploading.

Sphinxter said:
What you really want is Art Of Illusion. Home Cross platform and not ransomware.

No, it isn't, unless it has a feature that I missed that will print papercraft versions of the models, or you were just talking in general. If it is the latter case, I'll leave it up to people who have time to look at it in depth to respond.

Excuse me, was talking to the other linux user, the origami is cute but I don't see the value.

Sphinxter said:
Excuse me, was talking to the other linux user, the origami is cute but I don't see the value.
Ah. I thought that you might be talking to him instead of me. OTOH,
1) It's papercraft, not origami. (i.e. motorcycle, not crane.)
2) It's the cheapest, easiest way to hold a 1:1 scale model in your hands to check to see how well it will work. When printed on cardstock, and cardboard glued to the back of all surfaces except the flaps, it is also very sturdy.

DeadlyDad: Do you have a Pandora model for Pepakura? -OR- Can you make PDF with cut and glue model of Pandora? If you can, I'll be very pleased for it.

Back