Touchscreen issues

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
Yesterday I accidentally dropped my Pandora - I tripped on a plugged in USB cord and it fell from a desk to the floor, flat on its base. It rebooted but otherwise seemed fine. But later I noticed the touchscreen wasn't working, as in it wouldn't register a touch at all (and I couldn't calibrate, so it wasn't just registering them in the wrong places).

After rebooting I found that the touchscreen was acting like it was pegged towards the top center. Basically, the pointer would be in top center, and every time I tried pressing the screen it'd move towards the press, but would then immediately drag back to the top center, so I couldn't effectively hit where I wanted it to (plus, it would drag at every point in between). This makes me think there could be some pressure on the screen in that position? After resetting again things reverted to the first scenario where there was no recognition. This is actually better because at least I can move the cursor around with the nubs and press the menu with the Pandora button.

I opened up the unit to see if the LCD cable came loose at all, but that wasn't the case, it was very snug. Since I only barely managed to get it back together nicely (almost lost the power switch cover and really struggled to get it to snap right in the front) I feel very nervous about opening up other parts of it, like the screen part. I feel especially paranoid because this is an early unit but hasn't suffered from purple tint of death yet.

So I'm just curious if there are any suggestions. Maybe someone in the US who feels comfortable servicing Pandoras would like to look at it? I'd prefer not to send it out to ED since he's probably busy enough as it is and I don't want to wait on such long shipping (or have to pay huge shipping charges). I don't need the touchscreen right now but I will eventually. If push comes to shove I'll buy a new Pandora, even if I have to get a $700 one, but I'd prefer not to end up stuck with my current one, so if it comes to that I'd like to be able to sell it to someone who can fix it.

Last edited by a moderator:
There might be some pressure on the top center of the screen.

I had this problem one unit I repaired.

The crash might have caused some plastic to pressure the screen.

I opened up the lid a little and scratched with a knife the top center on the screen were I supposed the pressure might be. The unit was fine then.

"Link" is your man for repairing in the US. Contact him.

Don't worry about EvilDragon.

I'll do the repairs. I'm every Friday in the office and help.

You could unsnap and resnap the top tabs.. theres what, 3 tabs in the top lip of the LCD portion? You can push the tip lip up away from the hinge-side and get a little tiny scrwedriver in there to get the plastic up just enough to pop open the snaps, pretty easily .. pop them up and wiggle the plastic around maybe, blow some air in there in case something is poking, and snap it back together? likely not effect anything.. but easy to do and risk free, and it is in the right area.

You'd be able to see if something for inbetween the touchscreen and the lcd, I should think, so its not likely that.

jeff

I dug my fingernail underneath the bezel at the top a little to try to push it off the screen. There was a slight snap sound and I caused a small crack in the center (on the part underneath where it's hard to notice) but my touchscreen is working again so uh, yay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, this either happens when the top is not properly snatched in or there's some dirt in there.

No need to open up the unit :)

Back