Touchscreen Problems

gahndalf

I got my Pandora today and am having a great time but my touch screen comes and goes....
and mouse with the nubs is not very usable for me.
some times switching between xfce and mini menu will bring it back but not always.
also some games and emus will restore it some times.
any ideas what i should try? Just remember i am a Linux noob with little experience.

Edit: also i would like to know how to turn off the WiFi completley if possible. Thanks!

What problem are you having exactly ? comes and goes ,does this mean it simply stops working ?

click on the pandora icon on the taskbar then choose (system) (toggle wifi) will turn it off completely

the battery usage does not change much doing that. Is the WiFi chip that officiant?

/copydir said:
the battery usage does not change much doing that. Is the WiFi chip that officiant?

I am not sure ,but from talking to other guys i think the wifi could be drawing more cpu power than needed ,make sure your volume control isn't up high if not used high ,turn the screen brightness down a few button presses by holding (fn) key and pressing the (u) (i) keys ,this does make a difference to the battery as i notice when i am charging up if the brightness is down it will charge much faster ,run the cpu at 600 when charging as well so you get some extra power but the battery can charge quick ,i usualy keep wifi on ,but always have bluetooth off ,bluetooth is off by default ,but just saying incase you are using it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think you are right about the WiFi.
the touchscreen only works sometimes after a reboot or after exiting a program.
most of the time i can't use the touchscreen at all! :angry2:

Have you tried calibrating the touch-screen? With any luck, it might just need you to do that.

I'm writing this blind, since my Pandora's boxed up and ready to go for repair or replacement, but, I think it's in the Settings menu, if you happen to be using Xfce. There should be an item named "Calibrate Touch-screen", or something along those lines. It's pretty self-explanatory once you click it - it just wants you to touch a cross-hair a few times.

Prometheus said:
Have you tried calibrating the touch-screen? With any luck, it might just need you to do that.

I'm writing this blind, since my Pandora's boxed up and ready to go for repair or replacement, but, I think it's in the Settings menu, if you happen to be using Xfce. There should be an item named "Calibrate Touch-screen", or something along those lines. It's pretty self-explanatory once you click it - it just wants you to touch a cross-hair a few times.
every time i try that i get stuck in the aplication because the screen is not registering the touch.

/copydir said:
i think you are right about the WiFi.
the touchscreen only works sometimes after a reboot or after exiting a program.
most of the time i can't use the touchscreen at all! :angry2:

Did you try the touch screen calibration ,its in pandora icon ,settings ... watch when you do this ,the minute youclick on calibration you will see a small square appear at the top right hand side then it will disapear ,so try to remember exactly where it is and press your stylus on it once ,then click on the next one and so on ,so it should be -- top right -- top left --- bottom left --- bottom right --- middle ,then reboot ,if you dont think you made a good job of it try again before you reboot ,this might not work if you can't use the touch screen at all ,but if you can use it like after using minimenu then give it a go.

other than that ,you can reflash your firmware and that would be the best way to start over ,so if you reflash and there is still a problem then you would have to talk to someone like Ed or Craig.

Do you know how to reflash ?

/copydir said:
Prometheus said:

every time i try that i get stuck in the aplication because the screen is not registering the touch.

ok you need to reflash ,do you need help with this ?

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53637-first-boot-its-asking-for-a-login-and-password/page__p__858053&#entry858053

follow these instructions.

paddy said:
/copydir said:
Prometheus said:

ok you need to reflash ,do you need help with this ?
I have reflashed twice and it has not fixed it.......

I can't help anymore than this m8 ,you will need to wait to see if someone from OPT can help ,mabe it needs repair as it sounds like the display is faulty but don't take my word for it.

Is calibration off when the touchscreen works, or is it accurate? Does it work endlessly when it works until you do something else, or does it disable itself after a while?

well i can't get the touchscreen to work at all now....
I think either it is broken or the ribbon cable is DC/broken

Have you got experience with delicate hardware?
You could remove the bottom part of the case and check the LCD cable connection.

mali said:
Have you got experience with delicate hardware?
You could remove the bottom part of the case and check the LCD cable connection.
i thought that voided the warranty. If that is ok for me to do Its no problem. I just want to know i can do it and still return it if it is not the connection.

You'll have to wait for Craig to respond, then. ED said at least opening the case and replacing the shoulder buttons wouldn't void the warranty of the whole device, if you are careful. I don't think a visual inspection should do anything to the warranty, but this thing was not cheap, so it might be better to stay on the safe side and just return it, dunno.

It would be _really_ nice if we could get some official words regarding these issues. Broken LCDs/touchscreens are a bit too common for my liking.

mali said:
You'll have to wait for Craig to respond, then. ED said at least opening the case and replacing the shoulder buttons wouldn't void the warranty of the whole device, if you are careful. I don't think a visual inspection should do anything to the warranty, but this thing was not cheap, so it might be better to stay on the safe side and just return it, dunno.

It would be _really_ nice if we could get some official words regarding these issues. Broken LCDs/touchscreens are a bit too common for my liking.

Hm, four out of roughly 500 so far? Happens, not that special in my opinion.
Had about the same rate of faulty touchscreens or screens for the F100 / F200 or WIZ...

Well, touchscreen calibration only works with Hotfix 2 installed and you need to reboot it after calibration.
Doesn't help if it doesn't work at all though.

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
Hm, four out of roughly 500 so far? Happens, not that special in my opinion.
Had about the same rate of faulty touchscreens or screens for the F100 / F200 or WIZ...
Ok, I retract my worries then :)

But the question is can i open the case to look at the connection points?
or will that void my warranty?

/copydir said:
But the question is can i open the case to look at the connection points?
or will that void my warranty?

That's something you should ask the place where you got the unit :)

Last edited:
Back