Touchscreen/stylus Issues

aho

Website
kaioa.com
1. Stylus

Compared to the NDS stylus there are 3 noteworthy differences:

+ The Wiz one is longer, which allows you to hold it like a regular pencil - your hand won't cramp.
+ The Wiz one got the nicer shape, makes it easier to hold.
- The Wiz one got a bad tip.

So, there are 2 good things and one really bad thing. Here is an illustration which highlights the differences:

nds_wiz_stylus.png

The Wiz stylus got a sexier shape, but this shape is less suited for a stylus. The NDS stylus got a very simple shape. It's basically just a cylinder with a half sphere on top. This shape has the advantage that the roundness of the part which touches the screen is always the same - no matter how you're holding the stylus. It's always perfectly round.

The Wiz stylus is far thinner at the end, but this won't make it more accurate. It actually feels slightly scratchy. Whereas the NDS one glides over the screen as if it were ice.

Overall the NDS stylus' tip feels a lot better. It simply got the superior properties. (@GPH please get this right next time.)

2. Touchscreen Calibration (bug)

The calibration software (FW 1.1.0) got a very annoying bug. At the very end you're asked if you want to save/cancel etc. You can see a cursor there. Of course one expects that this cursor demonstrates the calibration you've just done. However, this is NOT the case. The cursor still behaves like it did before you started to calibrate it.

This is very misleading. Please fix it in the next update.

If you want to test it yourself, just calibrate it really bad on purpose. At the end the cursor will move surprisingly normal. Calibrate again - this time do it as accurate as possible. And now the cursor will move very very weird. Save anyways. Try a touch screen game... and surprise surprise... it actually works well. Even if the cursor tried to make you believe otherwise.

I don't know of a better way to tell them anything and I also don't know of a better way to submit bug reports.

They don't have an official forum and they also don't have a public bug tracker.

use a ds stylus on ya wiz?
havent noticed this problem.
if you can call it that?

>use a ds stylus on ya wiz?

Yea, using an NDS stylus works very well. Unfortunately you can't put one into your Wiz without modification. Fortunately it looks like it's possible to modify an NDS stylus to make it fit. You only need to file some of the plastic off at the top (that cuboid extra piece of plastic is a tad too long and a tad too wide).

aho said:

Yea, using an NDS stylus works very well. Unfortunately you can't put one into your Wiz without modification. Fortunately it looks like it's possible to modify an NDS stylus to make it fit. You only need to file some of the plastic off at the top (that cuboid extra piece of plastic is a tad too long and a tad too wide).

Why don't you just modify the wiz stylus's tip?

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:
aho said:

1. You can get replacement NDS styluses (word?) everywhere and they are also very cheap.
2. Getting one only takes 10 minutes (if you're living in some city).
3. Getting a replacement Wiz stylus looks difficult.
4. It would also take quite a lot of time until it arrives here.
5. Modifying the tip is hard and it also needs to be done very accurately.
6. Modifying the end is easy and it doesn't need to be ultra smooth or accurate.
7. You only need one file instead of different kinds of sandpaper.

chickendung said:
aho said:

You could use an emery board to file it down a bit.

I'm aware of that option. But as I mentioned earlier this isn't really feasible. If I screw up I'll need a replacement - and getting one is too troublesome. Also, sanding it down to a perfect half-sphere is probably rather tricky to do.

How about cutting the tips off of both, and then gluing the nds tip onto the wiz stylus?

kev256 said:
How about cutting the tips off of both, and then gluing the nds tip onto the wiz stylus?
Wouldn't be very robust. However, you could peel the NDS tip out, cut the Wiz tip off, then drill a precise hole into the Wiz stylus, add a little bit of glue, and put the NDS tip in.

But I don't have the tools for that. And again... if I screw up, I'll have a problem.

Back