Touchscreen? What For?

ttcircus

Still Fresh
Hi,
What exactly is the touchscreen gonna be used for. Apart from being very fashionable these days to have a touchscreen, it costs a lot of money and I dont really see how it can be useful on the pandora. Apart from drawing on the gimp..... The position of the screen and the keyboard would not make it comfortable at all to navigate with the touchscreen. As the games are mainly gonna be oldies there wont be any touchscreen specific games.
So... Any ideas? What are you gonna use the touchscreen for?

'ttcircus' said:
Hi,
What exactly is the touchscreen gonna be used for. Apart from being very fashionable these days to have a touchscreen, it costs a lot of money and I dont really see how it can be useful on the pandora. Apart from drawing on the gimp..... The position of the screen and the keyboard would not make it comfortable at all to navigate with the touchscreen. As the games are mainly gonna be oldies there wont be any touchscreen specific games.
So... Any ideas? What are you gonna use the touchscreen for?
It won't be that uncomfortable to use the touchscreen and it'll be a lot more comfortable than trying to navigate through everything using the analog nub. I'm sure there will be plenty of homebrew that will use the touchscreen anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
It costs no more than a normal LCD.

And as a mouse, the Pandora is tiny, you can hold it in your hand while using the other hand on the LCD.

Yeah I thought it was the obvious choice as a mouse. It's easier to position than the joydiscs and doesn't require you to wait a second just to move across the screen.

Also, aren't touchscreen LCDs built a lot tougher than regular LCD panels, since they're made to scratched a little?

I went in to buy eyeglasses a few months ago and expected the regular routine about what kind of coating I wanted to get, and found out that everything had been standardized. There's now one set of eyeglasses everyone gets, and it has all the fancy features that used to be optional before.

It's 2009.. it's it's a tiny LCD, it's going to have touchscreen sooner or later. I'm not surprised the price is the same at all. I wouldn't be surprised if small non touchscreen screens are more expensive in the near future.

'craigix' said:

And as a mouse, the Pandora is tiny, you can hold it in your hand while using the other hand on the LCD.
Fair enough, I didn't know that. Then you may as well have a touchscreen I guess!

'Trevor Bradley' said:
It's 2009..
That sums it up really.

TT, considering your repeated statements about having cancelled your preorder, and your tendency to drop negative comments in the blog, I'm finding it hard to see this thread as anything more than a trolling effort.

'ttcircus' said:
'craigix' said:

Fair enough, I didn't know that. Then you may as well have a touchscreen I guess!

Thank you so much :D

'Gruso' said:
'Trevor Bradley' said:
It's 2009..
That sums it up really.

TT, considering your repeated statements about having cancelled your preorder, and your tendency to drop negative comments in the blog, I'm finding it hard to see this thread as anything more than a trolling effort.
@gruso: You should know there's a slight difference between beibng negative and being able to make legitimate critics. In your "pandora world" everything is fine. Well, good for you.
Also, as I stated, I canceedl my order but I'm still interested in the project. Are the ones who ordered the only ones allowed to say anything? So I really don't see why this is a troll. You, on the other hand, are always willing to start a go at everone who's not naively over-happy and enthusiast. So please show a little respect, will you?

this is obviously, navigating through the OS, and also those ScummVM point and clicks.

Having a touchscreen is definitely my preferred way to navigate.

I call stupid thread...

I have owned a bunch of PDAs over the years, and if any of them were without a touchscreen (including the PDA with the thumb keyboard) they would be completely useless. In fact I often find myself trying to touch-control my non-touch phone..
There are a lot of things you can do with a touch screen that you cannot do with just a keyboard. Take, for example, games like bejeweled, hex-a-hop, numpty physics, and lots of others. Some of them could be used with a mouse, but a mouse is not particularly handy with a handheld device..

Top side of a clamshell is a strange place for a touch screen when you stop to think about it though, if you imagine you're holding a Pandora one hand and trying to jab with a stylus from the other you can see that some people somewhere down the line are going to hurt their wrists.

That said though Im always trying to touch the top screen of a DS, and on a desk of the right kind of height it will be quite a natural sensation (Plus where else are you going to put the screen in a clamshell :D)

As dude says above.. Web :)

But no one said "Atari ST" or "Amiga" yet!

jeff

Using a touchscreen on the Pandora would be way too convenient not to have ever considered it. I have used a variety of touchscreen devices and I have to say they have always offered a better user interface than devices that didn't make use of the technology in my opinion. The only thing I will say about a touchscreen is that the oils in your hand can sure make the screen blurry. But this wouldn't be a problem if the stylus is used.

Back