Touchscreen Concern

javaJake said:
Zarneth said:
My question, is how easy is it to see the screen in full sunlight.
Well, due to the design of the screen, it will not do well in sunlight. MWeston said that it would wash out or something like that. I think the other screens were harder and/or more expensive, and he probably figured most wouldn't be going out-of-doors with it often.

I know it's easy to lose real info in the piles of speculation, but that's why we have a search option :)

MWeston said:
It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chip said:
I know it's easy to lose real info in the piles of speculation, but that's why we have a search option :)

MWeston said:
It is a transmissive panel which means that it does wash out in direct sunlight. I have never seen a panel like this available in transflective. I think there is a PDA phone out there that has it, but I'm not sure. If I could ever find one, it would be a nice consideration as long as the pricing wasn't completely ridiculous!

The screen itself is not the high gloss type, plus with the adjustable hinge, it might be possible to shadow the display for respectable outdoor use.
Thanks a lot for finding the source to my little fact. I was too tired to do it. :p

Heh, to pile on to my questions:

Any chance of multi-touch? From my limited knowledge of how a touch screen works, couldn't this work in a limited form? I know the DS can to a degree.

squeakypants said:
Heh, to pile on to my questions:

Any chance of multi-touch? From my limited knowledge of how a touch screen works, couldn't this work in a limited form? I know the DS can to a degree.
The short answer is no.

The long naswer is still no, but it comes with an explanation. The "multi-touch" ability of the DS is so limited that you couldn't accurately call it multi-touch. Basically the information returned from the touchscreen can be used to determine that there are two touch points, but cannot accurately tell where those points are. Useless for iphone-style control. Pandora will work with the same type of touchscreen technology. You will not be able to track the location of multiple contact points.

Solution: hold it sideways. This obviously isn't ideal for all applications but I guess most things would work well if they were designed for it. For example aiming in an FPS or drawing a picture. Just remember to add options for left handed as well as right handed people.

Back