Trap75 For Caanoo Beta Test

Alex.

Retired
Hi,

Trap75 is a game like Jezzball, where you need to cover 75% of each level's space without getting your lines hit by the moving balls. I don't have a Caanoo so there's no way to check if my builds work or not. Please help me out here by giving it a try yourself and telling me what happens.

Trap75CaanooTest.zip - Extract everything on your card and run Trap75.caanoo.gpe
Trap75CaanooTest2.zip - Extract everything on your card and run Trap75.caanoo.gpe
Download Trap75 2.1 from the archive.

This is a blind test version, possibly buggier than the GP2X and Wiz versions. Please let me know if and how it runs on your Caanoo.

<< CONTROLS >>

Pad - move cursor
X - hold to move cursor slower
A - start a horizontal line from cursor
Y - start a vertical line from cursor
Help1 - pause (if you quit, your current score will be saved)
L - show FPS

Trap75_2.png

Thanks!

Alex, just tested it for you:

the game runs, io it does not crash, but what you refer to as help button I does not work (you have to press the home button to let it start the game, possibly buttons values wrong ?)
and i can not seem to control the cursor so even though it runs it's not really playable unless i did something wrong :)

for the rest seems to work ok, not sure if there's supposed to be any music though cause i don't hear any but i did see an ogg file, that's why i asked :)

kinda hard blindy porting something, but i'm amazed that it even runs :)

EDIT : it does work !!! can't really understand why it didn't before, although i did run some bennugd game first, some zombie tactics thingie it seemed (can't remember name), and the help buttons are now correct as well, maybe the previous game messed something up, will look into it, goana try a few things first

however no music :)

EDIT2: thought you might be intrested in the amount of fps your game got (to compare with other devices) it's hoovering around 180-200 fps with me. sound works, yet no ogg playing. hmm just noticed there's another number on the top (so it display's 49 and then the number that hoovers between 180 & 200) which one is the fps ?

EDIT3 : Game crashes the canoo on exit, have to reboot it (tried it twice already)

EDIT4 : Can reproduce the controls bug, although i do not think it's a bug in your game, but rathet the bennugd runtime, if i run the "monster" game first (which works normally as far as i can tell) and then your trap game , the controls do not work anymore, i'll try to download another bennu game and see if it happens there as well to confirm if it's a bug with the runtimes

EDIT5: ran EEK which is also using the bennugd runtime, afterwards your game and there was no problem, so might not be the runtime itselve that cause the problem, but rather the "monster" game itselve, will test to see if it affects other games well

EDIT6 : Rand SOD (snake on dope from ruckage) which uses bennugd as well, after running the game and running trapball again the control bug pops up again, so the only bennugd game that didn't cause this problem was "eek", kinda weird so i'm not really sure what's blame anymore now :)

Thank you joyrider! :) I'm really glad it doesn't crash, this means the SDK setup is all good.

Music and sound

I saw another thread about OGG playback problems, I hope GPH will fix it in a firmware update because it works fine on Wiz.

Can you adjust sfx volume with the slider? Or must each app do this manually as before.

FPS

First value is the capped framerate (ideally 60, but because of SDL_timer inaccuracies 49), and the second is the maximum possible. On GP2X F-100 it is 145, not much worse than Caanoo eh? :)

Cursor control

I expected cursor control problems, perhaps I will need to buy a cheap gamepad with analog stick and test it on that. Here's the code I use, maybe there's an obvious problem:

Code:
#define ANALOG_TRESH (1 << 14)

for(SDL_Event event; SDL_PollEvent(&event); ) {
    case SDL_JOYAXISMOTION: {
        switch(event.jaxis.axis) {
            case 0: {
                if(event.jaxis.value < -ANALOG_TRESH) {
                    // if left off, signal on
                } else {
                    // if left on, signal off
                }

if(event.jaxis.value > ANALOG_TRESH) {
                    // if right off, signal on
                } else {
                    // if right on, signal off
                }
            } break;

case 1: {
                if(event.jaxis.value < -ANALOG_TRESH) {
                    // if up off, signal on
                } else {
                    // if up on, signal off
                }

if(event.jaxis.value > ANALOG_TRESH) {
                    // if down off, signal on
                } else {
                    // if down on, signal off
                }
            } break;
        }
    } break;
}

Thanks again for taking the time with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey alex, no problem

but just to make it clear, since i might have suggested otherwise, the game does crash (everytime) when you exit it. although it plays fine before that, just when exiting the game. Have to reboot the canoo then.

The control bug is weird, it only happens when i ran either "monster" of "snake on dope" first which both uses bennu, yet when i run "eek" which also uses bennu it doesn't happen..

maybe someone else need to test it to confirm this on their caanoo

i'll try volume thing in a moment, just noticed one of the fungp got downloaded after 2 long hours :/

Hi Alex.

I've tried to reproduce the control error that Joyrider mentioned but haven't been able to so. The controls work as they should regardless of whether I run SOD first or not. I'll give the monster game a go as well though to see if that triggers it.

I uploaded a new version that should not crash after exiting (same link). I forgot to add "Caanoo" to the list of platforms that call gp2xmenu at the end.

Ruckage: does the analog stick work too?

Yeah, it all seems to work perfectly here. No control issues at all. I tried the monster game before running Trap75 and it didn't affect the controls either.
@ Joyrider: Can you tell me exactly where you installed the games and where you are launching from (game/explorer) just so I can try and replicate the issue.

ruckage said:
Yeah, it all seems to work perfectly here. No control issues at all. I tried the monster game before running Trap75 and it didn't affect the controls either.
@ Joyrider: Can you tell me exactly where you installed the games and where you are launching from (game/explorer) just so I can try and replicate the issue.

I ran from explorer, and the files are located on the root of my sd card (so like \sod\...)

i included a listing of all files on my sd card in the attachment and posted the ones related to sod

also maybe a stupid idea, but where there any "beta / dev" units ? maybe it uses a diffrent firmware then mine or something, it's a long shot but here's what's displayed on the device informaton in settings :

version 1.0.1
Linux 2.6.24 Revision : 120
Model : CAANOO
serial 2010.08.10 - GP2XV400 - 00001826

Code:
K:\sod\back.wav
K:\sod\bgdc.import
K:\sod\blip.wav
K:\sod\comic10.fnt
K:\sod\death.ogg
K:\sod\dope_up.wav
K:\sod\gulp.wav
K:\sod\jkeys.lib
K:\sod\kb-lower_map.png
K:\sod\kb-upper_map.png
K:\sod\levels
K:\sod\locked.wav
K:\sod\magic.wav
K:\sod\snake.fpg
K:\sod\sod.dcb
K:\sod\sod.gpe
K:\sod\sod.png
K:\sod\song1.ogg
K:\sod\song2.ogg
K:\sod\song3.ogg
K:\sod\song4.ogg
K:\sod\song5.ogg
K:\sod\song6.ogg
K:\sod\song7.ogg
K:\sod\tiny.bdf
K:\sod\title.ogg
K:\sod\bgd-runtime
K:\sod\hiscores
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\bgdc
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\bgdi
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libbgdrtm.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libblit.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libcrypto.so.0.9.8
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libdraw.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libfont.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libgrbase.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libjoy.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libkey.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libmouse.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\librender.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libscroll.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libSDL-1.2.so.0
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libsdlhandler.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libtext.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libvideo.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\libwm.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_blendop.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_cd.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_crypt.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_debug.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_dir.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_draw.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_effects.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_file.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_flic.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_grproc.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_joy.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_key.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_m7.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_map.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_math.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_mathi.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_mem.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_mouse.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_path.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_proc.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_rand.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_regex.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_say.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_screen.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_scroll.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_sort.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_sound.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_string.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_sys.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_text.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_time.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_timers.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_video.so
K:\sod\bgd-runtime\mod_wm.so

View attachment 473

going to bed now, have to work tommorow and i'll probably be late again it's 4 am here :x

I've managed to reproduce the control issue. It only happens when trap75 is in the root of the SD. I do think though that it may be a bug in the Bennu runtime as EEek uses an older runtime and the problem doesn't occur .
I'll try and narrow the problem down more and get in touch with Splinter about it.

Hi Alex - this is a copy of a post I made in the SOD topic as it's relevant here:

I've had a word with Splinter and he figured out the problem. It isn't a bug but it is a problem caused by the Bennu games - however it's easily fixed via the launch script so I'll release an update to SOD soon.

I'll try and paraphrase Splinters explanation, basically he said that enviroment vars in caanoo aren't private in a script, they are set globally so after the bennu games finish the system was still using the SDL in the bennu runtime folder. The changes to the script just store the correct location of the system SDL and then restores it when the game exits. The reason Eek didn't cause a problem was because its runtime uses the older SDL which I guess is the same as the one on the system.

And fun game Alex, I'm enjoying playing it :)

Thanks, ruckage :)

I uploaded Trap75CaanooTest2, this is what's new:

- I redid the analog stick input, hopefully it still works - how do diagonals feel by the way?
- I use Notaz's accurate timer as in the Wiz version, this should result in a smooth 60fps

Thank you again for testing!

Hey Alex. Thanks for the port.
The analog controls are great. Diagonals work and feel fine.
Framecounter shows steady 58-59 fps.

Hey great game :)

Played through for a few minutes and it seems to play perfectly (test 2) help 1 button plays the game and pauses it.and help 2 (II) quits the game! but i would have thought help 1 would have been for actual HELP (instructions and whatnot) and the home button to quite to menu and then again to caanoo main menu.

No music but sound effects work fine , playing from games folder on a 16 gig micro sd

paul3100

Thanks for testing, sbock and paul3100!

I'll make Home the start/pause button and Help1 the quit button for the release version, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

Alex. said:
Thanks for testing, sbock and paul3100!

I'll make Home the start/pause button and Help1 the quit button for the release version, thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

No probs, remember a game like this on the amiga ! came free with a mag and was in German but i loved it...

Can i say i dont personally like the y for up/down and a for laft/right as some times i forget the combo when trying to rush! in the amiga version it was all done using the joystick to choose what direction you wnnt.. left..right ...up or down

Its your game and it is good but if i were given the choice where to take it next it would be using the joystick (or what eve its called on the caanoo) to controll direction and speed of the line :)

Good work anyway mate, i couldn't do any better!

paul3100

Back