Ttd2x: Transport Tycoon Deluxe On The Gp2x

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
From ZodTTD comes TTD2X, an adaptation of OpenTTD for the GP2X. For those who aren't aware, OpenTTD takes the open sourced Chris Sawyer game Transport Tycoon Deluxe and improves upon it greatly. Based on OpenTTD RC3 (the latest official release currently available), TTD2X is complete. It even has music working! :)

Please be sure to read the readme.txt as this game requires external data files from the original TTD.
Also, if you have an idea on how to improve TTD2X, please let me know.

Download the game: http://www.spookysoftsite.com/ttd2x_build1001.zip

Download the source: http://www.spookysoftsite.com/ttd2x_src_build1001.zip

Thanks for playing!

Wow, I plop my ass down at the computer at JUST the right time. Been waiting for this, thanks!

I hope it's worth the wait. If not, let me know what I need to do to make it get there. :)

Also, for those who are interested in my other OpenTTD releases, goto http://esoftinteractive.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1570
There you can find really nice PocketPC and Smartphone builds. :)

For those too lazy to look at the readme.txt:
TTD2X - An adaptation of OpenTTD for the GP2X
Based on OpenTTD RC3
By ZodTTD

Installation:
Copy the "ttd" directory to your GP2X storage media.
Place the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe game's *.GRF files in the "ttd" directory's "data" directory.
Place the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe game's SAMPLE.CAT files in the "ttd" directory's "data" directory.
Place the original Transport Tycoon Deluxe game's *.gm files in the "ttd" directory's "gm" directory.
Run OpenTTD. :)

Q: Why is there no sound effects?
A: It was either play sound effects or play music, so I chose to play music. If you would prefer sound effects INSTEAD OF music do the following:
Open the "openttd.cfg" file inside the "ttd" directory.
Change the following lines from:
sounddriver = null
musicdriver = extmidi
To:
sounddriver = sdl
musicdriver = null

Q: Can I place the "Patch" directory files someplace else, such as when another GP2X program uses them as well?
A: Yes. Do the following:
Open the "timidity.cfg" file inside the "ttd" directory.
Replace "./Patch/" with the directory you have the patch files in, such as "/mnt/sd/patch/" for example.

Q: What are the controls?
A: They are currently as follows:
GP2X Stick: Controls the cursor
A B X Y: Controls the scrolling of the map
RIGHT TRIGGER + A B X Y: Controls the scrolling of the 640x480 resolution screen.
RIGHT TRIGGER: Right click
LEFT TRIGGER: Left click
VOLUME UP: ZOOM IN/OUT TOGGLE

Q: Can I tell you how to improve TTD2X?
A: Yes please do! Join the gp32x.de forums. :)

Thanks for playing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool Thanks, I was just playing around with an older version the other day. This is a brilliant addition to the GP2x repertoire. I'm guessing it can load PC save games? Which makes it even better.

I'll give this a go after my morning coffee.

These things are always released when I'm at work.. :(
Any gp2x-specific screenshots?

Of course, if I'm working, why am I on the forums...!

Well done to the prolific zodttd! A real asset to the community.

hurrah!!!

I'm completely swimming in hundreds of splendid top-quality new s/w releases/updates since xmas. my gp2x hardly knows what's hit it, and the poor SD card is groaning under the weight of all this gaming goodness :)

great!
One thing that could be improved is having all of the control bars in the "zoomed" mode like
openttd.jpg

Great work! Thank you very much for porting this game! I really appreciate it.

Oh Wow! Music is perfect! Out of curiosity what is the restriction on sounds and music - using the same resources or cpu?

Also In zoomed in mode the tool bar remains at the top of the screen. I suppose there's no way around this...

edit;
When in zoomed out mode would it be possible to make the zoom go to where your cursor is? ie zoom out, move cursor, zoom in.. something like that? Sorry sounds like I'm, complaining a bit, this is really great as it stands.

great!
One thing that could be improved is having all of the control bars in the "zoomed" mode like
I agree. :)

Great work, Zod. The game runs nice and smooth. Now I just need to figure out how to play this game.. Does it include a tutorial?

However, I'm not fond of the controls. I don't like using the shoulders as primary function buttons. I think, instead of using the face buttons for moving, you could press Y and then use the stick to move. And for moving around the zoomed screen, you could hold A and use the stick. Then the select button could be B like most apps. :)

People feel free to correct this set-up. I'm not sure it's 100% perfect, but I think it would be more comfortable than the current.

It would be nice if your mouse would always remain on the screen in zoomed mode. I have lost it a couple of times.

[However, I'm not fond of the controls. I don't like using the shoulders as primary function buttons. I think, instead of using the face buttons for moving, you could press Y and then use the stick to move. And for moving around the zoomed screen, you could hold A and use the stick. Then the select button could be B like most apps. :)

People feel free to correct this set-up. I'm not sure it's 100% perfect, but I think it would be more comfortable than the current.

It would be nice if your mouse would always remain on the screen in zoomed mode. I have lost it a couple of times.

Well this game is kind of impractical on the GP2X anyway. You trying to take a game that was designed for 640x480, a keyboard, a mouse and trying to play it on a system with only 320 x 240, a few buttons and a joystick/pad, no touchscreen. Too me there are just too many compromises that were needed to get it to work because of the hardware. It is a good job but I am really interested to see how GBA turns out :ph34r:

shinneri said:
In an earlier version select would bring the mouse back to the top corner of the screen(zoomed). Don't know if the same is true in this version, I'd have to check.

Your controls suggestions are pretty good, additionally it would be cool if you couldn't move the mouse off the screen, but the screen would move with it... I'm having a bit of difficulty with the 'industries list', One has to scroll across to move the bar up and down. But you can't see the rest of the 'window' when doing that. Zoomed out, of course the text is unreadable. I don't think there's any concept of an active window in ttd either (so no chance of scroll buttons?).

Maybe stick click could be used to toggle the 'arrow keys' mode, ie cycle between the three directional modes? Or just two of the modes cursor and scroll?

Btw the basic objective I think is to connect up productive industries and collect subsidies/rewards, ie coal mine to power station, power station to... um well wood place to paper mill to printing thing.

Alternatively, make it really easy and have fun building your very own railway set! (wait thinking of Railroad tycoon, there's no sand box mode). Anyway this is actually playable, out of curiosity, what does it do with the TV out? - Just show what's on lcd, or nothing... maybe I'll go check...

Anyway thanks a billion again Zodttd, this is an amazing, complex and rewarding game to have on the gp2x. :)

Edit;
DaveC said:
Well this game is kind of impractical on the GP2X anyway. You trying to take a game that was designed for 640x480, a keyboard, a mouse and trying to play it on a system with only 320 x 240, a few buttons and a joystick/pad, no touchscreen. Too me there are just too many compromises that were needed to get it to work because of the hardware. It is a good job but I am really interested to see how GBA turns out
What blasphemy! Now where is my boiling pitch....

I'll admit its a bit of a squeeze, but the keyboard isn't so much of a problem and 680x480 is only four gp2x screens...

Yes, it is impractical. But it's my project and I'm still going to see through with it. :)

I'm trying to not touch the OpenTTD GUI like my previous OpenTTD ports such as the one Vimacs showed above. What I can do is this:
1. Make the zoom go to where the cursor is. This was supposed to be included in my OpenTTD ports but I forgot to do it.
2. Change the keymapping.
3. I might be able to have the toolbar at the top be "detachable" and place it at the top of the zoomed screen at all times. Meaning it could be scrolled left to right in zoom mode as well. See "2. keymapping". :)

I like the idea for keymapping shinneri gave. Anyone agree it should be used? If not, what should be used? What about number 3 on the above list?

Oh, to answer some questions:
- PC savegames *might* work. It depends on the savegame compression type used and how new a version is being used.
- I am currently unable to use sound effects and music at the same time due to using HW SDL and SDL_mixer. SDL for sound effects starts a callback, and SDL_mixer for music wants to use that same callback function. The two don't seem to want to work at the same time.

Thanks. Let's get this game improved. :)

Oh, Zeladin! Great suggestion about making the mouse cursor scroll the viewport when reaching the edge of the screen!
Combined with the suggestion to zoom where the cursor is when zoomed out, this works perfectly!

Oh, Zeladin! Great suggestion about making the mouse cursor scroll the viewport when reaching the edge of the screen!
Combined with the suggestion to zoom where the cursor is when zoomed out, this works perfectly!

EDIT: Added it twice by accident, so I'll add it a third time for kicks:

So nice he said it twice! :)

I don't have too much problems with the current key mappings, but a way to customise controls to ones likings would be nice :) Its just great to see a game like this on my gp2x, thanks for all your efforts zodttd, you have done some amazing stuff, keep on rocking!

how about having more zoom levels? would be nice i think, also volume/plus minus should adjust the zoom level instead of having it as a trigger just +.
It would be nice to have it zoom out the ingame zoom once you have reached the maximum scaler zoom.

zodttd said:

Hey, it wasn't that great! No problem though, I can make suggestions anytime, even superfluously! :)

TV out is spectacular! You can really see detail on scaled mode, though text is still not entirely readable, zoom mode still works too though is a bit weird (Its shows the whole 640x480 display unscaled on 512xWhatever I think). As this is a High res game its definitely a feature that should be worked on. Obviously at home you would just use your PC, but if you were in a hotel (airplane with tv's?), or at a friends (just to impress?) or too lazy to boot your computer... Just another superfluous suggestion - is this feature easy using SDL not sure (was looking at source of Scummvm for Gp2x recently)?

Edit; Whoops - When I say looking at Scummvm source, I mean getting ideas above my station.. I can't do C or C++... -yet, that's next semester's work. And there was stuff to do with zooming and stuff for 640x480 games that looked comprehensible... Uh and I got Pal resolution wrong... going to switch TV to widescreen mode and see what happens..

how about having more zoom levels? would be nice i think, also volume/plus minus should adjust the zoom level instead of having it as a trigger just +.
It would be nice to have it zoom out the ingame zoom once you have reached the maximum scaler zoom.
If Zod makes the changes I suggested, the zoom could be remapped to L and/or R.

@Zeladin: You're right about the potential of this game on TV-Out--especially once the BoB finally gets released. Being able to play it in its full resolution would be wonderful, and mouse and keyboard support would be excellent.. :)

shinneri said:
Being able to play it in its full resolution would be wonderful, and mouse and keyboard support would be excellent.. :)
Yes, well I think the TV out is pretty much working at outputting 640x480 on zoom mode, but, it seems the loss of picture and stretchedness are due to something called over-scan, so the sage known only as my Dad says. Grr. Give me black edges on my TV I say! So a 720x576 pal tv isn't displaying the full screen - What's the point in it being higher res I ask?

overscan according to wikipedia said:
Most television display manufacturers "overscan" the pictures on their displays (CRTs and PDPs, LCDs etc.), so that the effective on-screen picture may be reduced from 720×576(480) to 680×550(450), for example. The size of the invisible area somewhat depends on the display device. HD televisions do this as well to a similar extent. Computer displays including projectors generally do not overscan although many models (particularly CRT displays) allow it.
Grr...

Let me know if there's another explanation/problem/way to fix it...

Back