Ttd2x: Transport Tycoon Deluxe On The Gp2x

Google, it's actually the very first result... Also, get the Windows version, not the DOS.

- Alex

I still haven't gotten this game to run right.

I googled for the game and downloaded the Windows version and have tried copying the files now three or four times, onto two different SD cards.. I also tried two other sources of the Windows TTD files with no better results.

Here's what I get running it from a bash prompt:

Code:
[root@gp2x ttd]$pwd
/mnt/sd/ttd

[root@gp2x ttd]$ls -l data
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	  1608618 Mar 22  1996 sample.cat
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	  2426943 Jul  2  1996 trg1r.grf
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	   267110 Jul  2  1996 trgcr.grf
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	   410483 Jul  2  1996 trghr.grf
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	   342377 Jul 18  1996 trgir.grf
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root	   559392 Jul  2  1996 trgtr.grf

[root@gp2x ttd]$ls -l gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		29714 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt00.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		50427 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt01.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		46406 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt02.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		60986 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt03.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		62712 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt04.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		62952 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt05.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		69089 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt06.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		37182 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt07.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		17877 Jun 12  1996 gm_tt08.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		57940 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt09.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		43530 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt10.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		57439 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt11.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		40305 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt12.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		35152 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt13.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		14751 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt14.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		60572 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt15.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		48614 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt16.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		43766 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt17.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		52082 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt18.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		50279 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt19.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		64219 Jun 13  1996 gm_tt20.gm
-rwxr-xr-x	1 root	 root		46812 Jun 14  1996 gm_tt21.gm

[root@gp2x ttd]$./openttd.gpe
Error: PPCTTD needs the original game's GRF data files in order to run properly.
Error: PPCTTD needs the original game's GRF data files in order to run properly.
Error: No available language packs
openttd.gpe: openttd.c:88: error: Assertion `0' failed.
Aborted
[root@gp2x ttd]$

Am I doing something wrong? It has all the language packs in the ttd folder, too. American.lng is specified in the config file and exists, but still the program complains about it and the GRF files.

I also downloaded the old GP2X port and tried its GRF, CAT, and GM files and it still complains about the same things.

I'm using paeryn's HW SDL. I intended to donate to him since it is so well done! Great work paeryn (if you're reading).

The TV-OUT stuff is handled by HW SDL. I believe USB pads are supported, but I'm not sure about keyboards and a mouse.

How are you currently hooking the GP2X up to the TV? I'd like to play it on the TV as well. If I can get it working, I will see how well I can get a TV mode going. :)

Btw, is the BoB needed for TV OUT? If so, I was offered a BoB from a maker of one awhile back but never got back in touch with him due to some difficulties I was having with technical stuff. It's supposed to be something highly sought after, but I'm not sure why or even what exactly it can do. If the person who offered me the BoB is around, please PM me. I promise I will respond. :)

Senor Quack: The GM files are fine. The problem seems to be you're missing the supplied files in the "data" directory that came with the release that must be included with the GRF and SAMPLE.CAT files. You also seem to be missing the "lang" directory that was included as well. Be sure to include all the supplied game files in the same directory structure when copying the "ttd" folder contents in the release. :)

How are you currently hooking the GP2X up to the TV? I'd like to play it on the TV as well. If I can get it working, I will see how well I can get a TV mode going.
I'm using the official tv Out cable, and an s-video to phono adapter. The BOB is not necessary, but it also can do TV out (S-video), it also has usb, audio out and serial port. Its quite useful, I suppose, but there's nothing special about it, you could even make your own easily enough. All those connections are on the EXT port. In other words, if I had paid for mine, I would have been resentful...

Cool that you're going to work on the TV-out facilty, it'll be really worthwhile. :)

Btw, is the BoB needed for TV OUT? If so, I was offered a BoB from a maker of one awhile back but never got back in touch with him due to some difficulties I was having with technical stuff. It's supposed to be something highly sought after, but I'm not sure why or even what exactly it can do. If the person who offered me the BoB is around, please PM me. I promise I will respond. :)
You can get a stand-alone TV-Out cable for like $8, which is what I have. However, the BoB include TV-Out, 4 stardard-sized USBs, JTAG, and some debugging port (RS... something or other..). The USBs can be used for whatever while still using the TV-Out, which is the big draw.

Right now the BoBs are Dev units without an enclosure (just the board with ports on it), but a commercial unit with casing should be out sometime...

Last edited by a moderator:
Senor Quack: The GM files are fine. The problem seems to be you're missing the supplied files in the "data" directory that came with the release that must be included with the GRF and SAMPLE.CAT files. You also seem to be missing the "lang" directory that was included as well. Be sure to include all the supplied game files in the same directory structure when copying the "ttd" folder contents in the release. :)

I'll try d/ling and extracting it again after work.. Thanks for the info

From ZodTTD comes TTD2X, an adaptation of OpenTTD for the GP2X. For those who aren't aware, OpenTTD takes the open sourced Chris Sawyer game Transport Tycoon Deluxe and improves upon it greatly. Based on OpenTTD RC3 (the latest official release currently available), TTD2X is complete. It even has music working! :)
Fantastic! Finally a decent game for the gp2x that can be played reasonably casually and doesn't require lightning fast reflexes. Not to mention a well loved classic. The resolution switching is a good idea and would work great with a little bit of tweaking. I've had a good think, and here's my ideas on how you can improve it. Hope I don't sound demanding or anything. :)

Mouse/Screen control
-Joystick Click toggles Rez
Using the volume for this is very annoying and rather slow. I recommend trying to remove any need to move the thumb from the joystick as the mouse is such an important control.
-Zoomed Rez follows mouse
The mouse should be always on screen. Preferably pan the view when in 320x240 rez when the mouse is within 20% of the edge of the screen.
-Mouse acceleration
Don't go overboard with the max speed but some mouse acceleration would be nice, particulalry for 640x480 mode. Even better if the acceleration stays on if you suddenly change direction without stopping. Or at least faster mouse speed in 640x480 mode thoguh.
-Swap L/R functions.
This would balance the workload between the two hands. I find it a bit cramped using the joystick and L button together. (not to mention with volume as rez change)

Track/Road laying
-Select Cycles parts.
Manually choosing each different track/road piece from the pallet is very fiddly and slow. So you could make the select key change though the basic pieces of that type whenever the cursor is set to one of them. (just stick the the common ones, ie, standard pieces, bulldoze and if it's rail - the signals)

Misc
-Start closes window under cursor
It's easy to close windows but it's annoying to pinpoint the x when you have a lot to close
-Center new windows on screen when 320x240 mode.
I keep opening windows and wondering why they're not showing because they appear off screen. Wont' be such an issue if it's easier to toggle resolution though.
-Volume toggles between toolbar buttons.
Whenever you hit volume, make it close whatever window was last selected from the toolbar and open the next one.
-Status Bar always visible
So you don't miss important events, but shorten the date so it doesn't waste space.
-Faster resolution change
It runs so smooth in 640x480 mode so I'm hoping it's possible to find a way to make it more snappy.

And finally, If you follow other people's sugestions about always showing the toolbar in either rez, please try to fit it all on one line. Would take up too much room otherwise. Thanks.

I'll try d/ling and extracting it again after work.. Thanks for the info

I hope this reply helps others.

I finally got around to looking at this and I was having the same issues. The readme file is some kind of initiation test. The clue is in the text. You have to make sure the required .GRF and ,CAT files are uppercased. So SAMPLE.CAT not sample.cat. All the files I had were lowercase. But this worked on the older version I had.

But anyway. Thanks for a great release.

Back