Turn Based Games Any Homebrew Or Recommendations?

God Ginrai said:
I'm pretty sure it's only a level 1 archer that can't shoot at a distance. However, it has been a while since I've played, so I could be wrong.

no, units can only attack in adiacent hexes, even with ranged attacks. It sorts of makes sense when you consider the scale of villages in most scenarios (but then it woudn't make sense to have just one named unit in the area), but mostly it allows for consistent rules and this IMHO is more important in a strategy game than being realistic. After all, nobody complains that in chess a queen is able to walk quicker than an horse based unit, while the latter isn't able to move in a straight line.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also point out VCMI is an open source take at the excellent Heroes of Might and Magic III turned based strategy game. Pretty much Advance Wars on a bigger scale and set in antiquity. So far porting of this game on handheld systems have come to some serious results: (playin on Nokia n900)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0w8LsDAx6I

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned the best turn-based strategy of all time, Chaos! The great-grandfather of them all... Voted many years running as the best Spectrum game ever, and for very good reason. This game is like crack, it's so addictive.

D.

Geuben said:
watch this space...

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/42250-my-advance-wars-game/

geuben this is either cruel or really really great.

This game was sounding amazing! If you need any one to test and give detailed feedback give me a shout.

stustaff said:
Geuben said:
watch this space...

This game was sounding amazing! If you need any one to test and give detailed feedback give me a shout.

I hope it is the latter.

I started rewriting it a few weeks back (the old code is a horrible mess) and it is coming along great. Haven't been working on it this week though as the GF is visiting.

I will release a pandora version but it will just be a scaled up version of the gp2x one with the correct controls. This is because I started making it when the pandora was just a dream and I still want to make it for the gp2x. If I make a V2 then I will probably make it more pandora specific.

Geuben said:
stustaff said:
Geuben said:
watch this space...

I hope it is the latter.

I started rewriting it a few weeks back (the old code is a horrible mess) and it is coming along great. Haven't been working on it this week though as the GF is visiting.

I will release a pandora version but it will just be a scaled up version of the gp2x one with the correct controls. This is because I started making it when the pandora was just a dream and I still want to make it for the gp2x. If I make a V2 then I will probably make it more pandora specific.

Great, the nice think is it should be easy to create a nice version for pandora as a pnd using ginge. Like what has been done with wind and water.
Minimal outlay to get screen perfect, controls mapped etc.

Will be looking forward to seeing how this develops.

iprice said:
Battle Isle was absolutely fantastic.
I ported Crimson Fields to Pandora, the pc version apparently has a tool to convert battle isle maps that you can then drop on your pandora.
Did not try it yet, but should just work.

And it's a turn based game ofcourse ;)

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

MarkoeZ said:
iprice said:
Battle Isle was absolutely fantastic.
I ported Crimson Fields to Pandora, the pc version apparently has a tool to convert battle isle maps that you can then drop on your pandora.
Did not try it yet, but should just work.

And it's a turn based game ofcourse ;)

Cheers!
MarkoeZ

Looks cool! Off to get DL it now.

Back