Tv Adaptor

sparkymark

Website
Visit site
umm I never got around to buying a TV adaptor at the point of ordering. Is it not now possible to buy one seperately now that the first batch has sold out?

Mark

I've got a quick TV adaptor question that I'll piggyback on here. Since TVs are all 4:3 or 16:9 and the Pandora's screen is 5:3, is there any hardware built in that keep the correct aspect ratio or does it stretch or squeeze the image? S-Video seems to always distort the image in order to fill the screen but maybe the component out doesn't. This may have been answered somewhere else. If it was, I missed it, though.

Frogboy said:
I've got a quick TV adaptor question that I'll piggyback on here. Since TVs are all 4:3 or 16:9 and the Pandora's screen is 5:3, is there any hardware built in that keep the correct aspect ratio or does it stretch or squeeze the image? S-Video seems to always distort the image in order to fill the screen but maybe the component out doesn't. This may have been answered somewhere else. If it was, I missed it, though.
The TV output is a completely separate output (it can display something separate from the screen.)

I would expect that it would start at a different native resolution or be letter-boxed. I surely hope that will be the case.

I would expect that 640x480 would be a reasonable expectation for the native resolution of the TV output (before conversion for TV), as the current display is 800x480 and most of the emulated/ported games would be 4:3

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
The TV output is a completely separate output (it can display something separate from the screen.)
That would be a sweet option for DS emulation when the time comes. Top screen on your TV and the bottom touchscreen is your main Pandora screen. Obviously there would have to be a different option for travelling but that would be a interesting idea to implement.

I wonder what a DS game would look like on a 47" widescreen TV? :)

Frogboy said:
I wonder what a DS game would look like on a 47" widescreen TV? :)

Blocky :p

4xhq filter?

Would be very, very slow, though. :(

What about rendering polygon only stuff at the increased resolution? That's my favorite part of emulation. :)

Frogboy said:
S-Video seems to always distort the image in order to fill the screen but maybe the component out doesn't.

The pandora doesn't have component video out, just S-Video and composite.

Tinnus said:
Frogboy said:
S-Video seems to always distort the image in order to fill the screen but maybe the component out doesn't.

The pandora doesn't have component video out, just S-Video and composite.
Oops! My bad. Composite is the old school A/V cables right? Which TV adapter does OpenPandora sell, S-Video?

Any possibility of external (usb) graphics adapters to vga/dvi/hdmi being usable maybe?

k7a said:
Any possibility of external (usb) graphics adapters to vga/dvi/hdmi being usable maybe?
Depends on what you consider usable, don't expect fast gaming. For some slow presentation stuff it MIGHT be acceptable. But might as well not for that matter :).

k7a said:
For a slideshow, possibly. For games or movies, not really.

(It needs a special driver to take the output from the real video hardware and compress it over the USB, I don't think the Pandora has the CPU power for it to be honest.)

Have a look at the BeagleBoard, it has the same SoC (different RAM), but comes with a DVI chip.

Back