Tv Out Cable - Any Ideas? + Headphone Idea / Query

bluejapo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Firstly, my apologies if some of this is old hat, I have looked back through this forum and found some bit and pieces but nothing has answered my queries specifically.

I purchased a TV Out cable from Play Asia and figured with my firmware upgraded to 1.21 that it would be a case of popping the cable in, plugging into TV and then selecting TV out on the GP2X. When the cable arrived I realised I don't have a S-Video socket on the TV. no problem as I have a good eletronics shop in town, so I have bought a female to female S-Video adaptor and a S-Video to SCART lead to plug into the TV.

When all was connected to the TV I could not get a picture when trying with PAL although the screen on the TV went from blue to black, implying some signal was getting through albeit one of a dark night as viewed from deep within cave. So I figured I would try NTSC as my TV supports this. I managed to get a picture that took up the left hand side of the TV screen only and in black and white?!? :huh:

Interestingly the sound came out of the GP2X even though I had connected the audio leads to the TV.

I appreciate that the lead is pants but is there something I am missing, a workaround to get the picture to take up the whole screen and or to be in colour? :huh:

Has anyone managed to get sound through the audio leads as yet? :unsure:

On a second note I also purchased the official GP2X case as I want to carry my little handheld around with me and look after it. I notice that the headphone socket sits flush with the case when the GP2X is inside. I was wondering whether anyone knows of, or has thought of producing a 3.5mm jack that is flat externally so that it would not rub the case and damage the socket whilst letting you use the GP2X as an MP3 player while it is nice and safe in its case. :)

Try keeping "upward" pressure on the cable to get the best possible video connection. Still, I haven't gotten the audio to work. In the TV-Out menu, you can play with the screen positioning, but for me, the position wasn't as bad as with you, so I'm not sure if the adjustments will be drastic enough for your case.

They make 1/8" stereo to RCA adapter cables, so you could use that for sound in case the TV cable doesn't cut it.

I notice that the headphone socket sits flush with the case when the GP2X is inside. I was wondering whether anyone knows of, or has thought of producing a 3.5mm jack that is flat externally so that it would not rub the case and damage the socket whilst letting you use the GP2X as an MP3 player while it is nice and safe in its case. :)
I also have a case and thought of the same thing, but I don't know that it's been done. The fact that you also had the idea makes me want to try making one myself.

I ordered my TV-out cable from GP32z at the end of October and I still haven't gotten it :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also using a s-video to scart adapter, and can only get a b&w pic - is this as good as it gets, or can anybody suggest a solution?

I'm also using a s-video to scart adapter, and can only get a b&w pic - is this as good as it gets, or can anybody suggest a solution?

Google instantly found "A SCART connector only supports composite video and connecting an s-video cable to a SCART that has an "s-video" receptable will result in a black and white signal"

Bah... this sucks, bit by bit my enjoyment of the gp2x is being eroded away.

Anybody know why they chose s-video over composite? I can't imagine the quality is that much better. Of the three tvs I have access to none have s-video inputs.

I made a breakout box using a connector from an Samsung E810 data and the audio works perfectly. I don't have anything to test the s-video signal with so can't test that.

S-video is quite a bit better. There is less noise, and the color reproduction is much better because the color (chrominance) and grayscale (luminance) signals are separated, which is probably why the scart connector only displays black and white: it is only reading the luminance signal.

Only a decent scart converter will do the job properly. Cheap adaptors do not interpret the signal correctly, hence the B&W. You should be able to get one that does the job properly fairly easily.

(if you want to get technical, it only converts the luma, not the chroma channels)

Allan.

I finally got an adapter for the audio out plugs, and I happen to actually have an s-video plug on my new tv, so I was able to try it out. After much hell and a bruised arm, I was able to connect every thing the way they were supposed to be connected, and the result? Nothing. I can tell by the blurred screen that some type of signal was being send, but I was having no real image. Is there any solution for this problem? Or do I just have to buy a craig-plug....

I finally got an adapter for the audio out plugs, and I happen to actually have an s-video plug on my new tv, so I was able to try it out. After much hell and a bruised arm, I was able to connect every thing the way they were supposed to be connected, and the result? Nothing. I can tell by the blurred screen that some type of signal was being send, but I was having no real image. Is there any solution for this problem? Or do I just have to buy a craig-plug....

Same results for me ... I may try an S-Video-to-Yellow-plug-type-thingy, but it may just be a bad batch of cables (or more precisely, a bad connector) :(

damn you radio shack! At this point, I really dont k now what to do. I have extention cables/adapters for the red and white plugs, but I dont know whether or not I should get the other yellow plug and give it a shot, or just save my money and get craig's cable. If I get the yellow plug, i also have to get an adapter to make the female to male. :( this suxxx

Back